Northy's 911SC

Northy

Thanks for the write up. Lots of interesting observations in it.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:19 AM, Northy said:

Ride height wise it’s currently what Chris calls one finger/one finger.

Do you mind to share a picture of the car with this "one finger/one finger" setup?

Ride height wise it’s currently what Chris calls one finger/one finger.

I had a girlfriend called that........................😳

On 9/9/2018 at 2:38 AM, WP0ZZZ said:

Thanks for the write up. Lots of interesting observations in it.

Do you mind to share a picture of the car with this "one finger/one finger" setup?

Here you go.

From the back you can see there’s not a huge amount of camber in the rear.  

It still feels like a sports car, but with a bit more compliance now. 

FB0EA836-A6A3-4930-B877-74BAA8D5C8C2.thumb.jpeg.5077fc7316c05ce7a5d0862f10b49820.jpeg

10F52557-2AC7-4FB4-BEAF-49BAF92F111C.thumb.jpeg.9703cf5a29f7dd8833577b84d85c2c32.jpeg

B427E2DE-3F63-452E-85D8-3C6C66981A52.thumb.jpeg.f25aa4bc017f989dc2337f42d8ba6874.jpeg

D794B257-F820-4AF7-B93A-E890642EB151.thumb.jpeg.d3e497ab146c029271f263b91370864a.jpeg

70B15599-1ACF-4A5A-89EB-4E50B38FE5B5.thumb.jpeg.b2a9627ca24e8eb77ecde8e3d6e96395.jpeg

3A69695E-F257-4311-B6AC-3867C3F4B3B1.thumb.jpeg.71983bb4b5fd7085373d5b63918fff2d.jpeg

• 6 months later...

About 100 miles after going to Centre Gravity I started to get another creak from the left rear.  After a conversation with Super Pro, they advised that my bushes are the old formula and are in fact wear items.  Their new ones are not and have a life time guarantee. 

So another trip to Centre Gravity was booked to swap the old ones out for some new ones.  Chris also, very kindly, swapped out my front studs, so that I could run some small spacers on the front.  Bit more front track and a bit more 'stance'.  

IMG_1152.thumb.jpg.ac5b240d6daa66773406a7c5f3fcf289.jpg

IMG_1147.thumb.jpg.c4e7353e783b91815e966c12eb674f5e.jpg

IMG_1156.thumb.jpg.952989a65bc09af03251b9f168fd7f14.jpg

IMG_1153.thumb.jpg.dba80fcab8968eaf13f34b9799d6398d.jpg

I also asked him to dial in a smidge more negative camber on the rear, I think I was getting a very slight rub on maximum compression at the rear - when you're charging along a bumpy b-road.  Chris has said I might feel the difference that the front spacers make. I couldn't on first drive, but actually on the way home I did notice it felt a little different. Bit more turn-in bite, but perhaps a little lighter on the straight ahead. Probably some placebo in there too.  Either way, feels really great, super pleased with it.

Next up. 

• CDI+ box 
  • Oil & filter change 
  • Gearbox Oil
  • Bosch 044 fuel pump
  • Fit under tray
  • Headlight bulbs swapped out for Night Breakers
  • Investigate why using my indicators with full beams on, switches off the lights completely! 

Then...

• Replace front wings (I've managed to hoard 4 wings to choose from now 🤪)
  • Peddle cluster refurb... [ IanC ]...!
  • + infinitum 

Nice work!

Could you actually see any difference between the old and new SuperPro spring plate bushes? Do they still need to use the grease and do they have different part numbers to the previous versions? 

BTW what size spacers and studs did you go for on the front? I like the look. Cant see from the pics but are you using standard or open lug nuts with those spacers?

20 minutes ago, Anil said:

Nice work!

Could you actually see any difference between the old and new SuperPro spring plate bushes? Do they still need to use the grease and do they have different part numbers to the previous versions? 

BTW what size spacers and studs did you go for on the front? I like the look. Cant see from the pics but are you using standard or open lug nuts with those spacers?

Yes - the old ones had worn away the cross hatching - only on one bush. So where it had worn out the cross hatching the grease was wiped away and it was causing the creaking.  Not sure on the mileage I put on those, perhaps 10 - 15K.  Apparently the new ones are different - we will see.  I can live with it being a once every 5 years type thing, if that's what it turns out to be. 

7mm front spacers. 42mm front studs (standard are 35mm) - I run open face studs and they are about 1/2 a thread from the end of the nut.  You could add another 5mm on top if you were running wider spacers or open face studs.  No way on earth I would run 7mm spacers with standard alloy wheel bolts, nor steel nuts.  There just isn't enough thread engagement for my liking. 

• 5 months later...

7E39018C-5E44-47FA-B21F-54A5D0ECA5C5.thumb.jpeg.ec1aa6f23c999b945095198da856f2d6.jpeg

Approaching 19 years I’ve owned this car. I’ve used it quite a bit this week. I still love it and can’t see me ever parting with it.

This winter I’ve got a few jobs planned. 

I’m going to get my spare wings painted and fitted. If I’m feeling brave I might get the mirror holes welded up and fit the Ruf lipstick mirrors. I love the clean lines of the cars without mirrors. 

I’m only changing the wings because I’ve got a rust spot in the seam where the wing joins the a pillar. It’s where I had them dipped and e-coated about 10 years ago. I’m sure they didn’t get all the acid out and e-coat didn’t seal it properly. The scab came up pretty quickly but didn’t really get any worse.  I’ve had a couple of goes at sorting it and I think it will be better to just change them out now. 

I don’t mind stone chips and scratches. I don’t like rust. 

I need to make a decision on which set of wings to use (I’ve got two sets in storage).

One set is from an American import. Pretty much rust free but look to be pattern parts and need an aerial hole welding up. 

74EA3F12-EC23-46D6-B956-66B7136A5E4E.thumb.jpeg.2fc52cc0e220a51db6c317de38d9a65c.jpeg

071D725E-2AEF-4BB3-9A86-4F6298EFD0AD.thumb.jpeg.84282666938c2b980c5fc1842a563962.jpeg

The other pair are mixed from a C3 and I think it’s from a 3.2 Carrera.  The C3 wing is really mint. The 3.2 one just has a small hole in the filler aperture but is great other than that.  These two still have their Schultz on the back. I spoke to a blasting company and they said the Porsche Schultz is probably the best out there and if it’s still on, leave it on. 

25096588-115E-42E6-A8FA-537BDD9D9DCF.thumb.jpeg.a95885db8791f427fb23672e2740e1dc.jpeg

B6DFDB13-D08D-47FD-BE10-9F9F4251B284.thumb.jpeg.cea907dc326e91048430893de9f27893.jpeg

I think I might also weld up the side repeater hole if I use this wing.

What do you guys reckon? Use the better condition patterns or stick with originals? Incidentally the Schultz is heavy stuff, there is a considerable weight difference between the two. 

Its roughly £90 a wing to get them blasted, so I’ll get them all done and then make a decision.  

I’ve got some rear seat backs that I’m having a go at re-trimming. If that goes well I fancy making a front bonnet liner too; perhaps out of foam backed board covered with leather or something like that.  That manky old carpet needs to go. 

I’m also accumulating heater parts (I’m a knob and sold all mine for peanuts years ago) so if anyone has a set of blend valves from under the front trunk or the cardboard blower motor cover.  At some point I’m going to spring for Jonny’s air con - maybe a 20th anniversary present 😂

1 hour ago, Northy said:

...if anyone has a set of blend valves from under the front trunk... 

I did have an almost complete set of frunk air ducts but IIRC sold most (all ?) of it to an IB'er at some point. 

Will have a look in the garage next time I'm out there and see if I have any bits left. 

Edited by GaryH

Phew that’s a relief!  At one stage it looked like you were reversing some of your mods with a view to making it more original (and selling?).  Use the original wings.  The steel will be better, the fit also and then there's the Schutz.

Ian

PS are those your shoes in the photo.....😳

• 1 month later...

So. I’m getting all 4 wings blasted. The advice I’ve had is to leave the Porsche Schultz in place (if it’s good) - the blaster said it’s the best stuff out there and if it’s not failed leave it. 

A question on wheel arch lips. Previously I’ve rolled the lips on my front arches and then put some dum dum at the top (10 - 2 o’clock position) of the cavity to keep dirt out - which has worked. What’s the consensus do the same on off the car wings or grind the lips off?  Rolling still seems like a dirt trap and grinding suggests loosing some structural integrity and introducing a sharp edge.  

Answers on the back of a cheeseburger (as @MrPerkles once said). 

Edited by Northy

I don't really know if this is good or bad, but my BMW with factory rolled arches is rolled to the point of being completely folded over and then sealed with schutz/seam sealer and paint.  Famous last words, but they look good after 16 yrs and 70k miles.  Its one option to prevent dirt getting in.

• 1 month later...

I have ‘rolled arches’ except they aren’t.   They are just slightly bent up - maybe 45 deg and only between 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock.   they don’t trap any dirt. 

Car is fairly low with 7s on the front - no issues. 

7 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Have you had problems with your steering Lewis?

Since fitting my steering rack spacers I've had a bit of clunk when hitting bumps, normally if the bump is on the unloaded wheel side in a bend. I could also push/pull the wheel inwards/outwards about 5mm - which seemed odd. 

Having dissembled it, I think this was down to the bottom circlip not being engaged properly - it's not actually slotting into the column any more, so I'm swapping it out for a new one. 

7 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

I have ‘rolled arches’ except they aren’t.   They are just slightly bent up - maybe 45 deg and only between 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock.   they don’t trap any dirt. 

Car is fairly low with 7s on the front - no issues. 

Thanks Jonny - think I'll just 'massage' them up a bit then.

• 4 months later...

Fresh 12 month ticket this week.  The empty roads were absolute bliss. 

263ED77B-C422-4535-9F6A-2F5FDB4C5D06.thumb.jpeg.4cbb81e4c4b0505ead691ca470d66baa.jpeg

Should have some more detailed updates in the coming weeks. Fitting my alloy 964RS bonnet, new front wings and perhaps a few other mods I’ve got planned. 🤟

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm collecting the newly painted front end this week. 

My plan is to replace the bonnet first and use that as the datum for refitting the wings.  

So, has anyone got any tips for fitting up front wings?  

Is one roll of the 5m roll's of sealing strip enough for the tops and uprights on two wings? 

Is it best to do a loose dry fit first and mark up where it needs to be aligned, then take them off again and fit the sealing strips? 

Then go nuts with some Wurth stone chip.  

Flexible oil lines were changed probably 10 years ago and arch liners should have protected them somewhat (🤞).

Any other recommendations? 

My top tip:

Stick the sealing strip to the body first and when nice and secure brush the exposed side with copious amounts of White Spirit. This gives you some slip and time to adjust the wings into place, otherwise the sealing strip grabs the wing and it will hardly move for adjustment.

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverWT said:

My top tip:

Stick the sealing strip to the body first and when nice and secure brush the exposed side with copious amounts of White Spirit. This gives you some slip and time to adjust the wings into place, otherwise the sealing strip grabs the wing and it will hardly move for adjustment.

Mark

Nice one Mark 👍

• Like 1