Northy's 911SC

Northy

0B2579A9-F5EC-410A-A2D3-ED4CE19EE251.thumb.jpeg.3d44fe0d821691af53073ff37d66efac.jpeg

I’ve started on swapping out my front end. Paint match looks pretty good between scuttle/doors and wing.  Wing profile around the top of the door isn’t perfect but it will do for me. 

Thanks to arch liners the inner wings are a bit dusty but looking great underneath: 

FED38A05-6ED5-49DC-A597-279E79DD7CEA.thumb.jpeg.6a1c2ec183bc8c21f9d75623fc92d5ce.jpeg

One problem is this oil cooler bracket is not on my replacement wings.  I’ve just had a delivery from Type911 (thanks! Great service as always) so will need to drill a hole in the back of the headlight bucket to bolt up a bracket from a later 3.2. 

010E07CF-4870-49CF-9DCC-D378269C765F.thumb.jpeg.26c334834d342ec80daa0712a08b02e3.jpeg

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. 

Yeah I was toying with that. I decided to leave it on the old wing because they would be salvageable for someone else, so thought it would be best to keep them complete. 

So I bought this bracket from Type 911

13E371E7-628A-45B2-B43B-267386FF5AC3.thumb.jpeg.1b0fd287f11d8bbf116a10e3cedc425b.jpeg

which I think bolts onto here and into the back of the headlight. 

26974DEA-F7C6-4614-9983-F7AA11438BBB.thumb.jpeg.a4be61b7a9577475576be5181f769c2d.jpeg

my plan is to bolt on the wing and then bolt up the bracket and drill a pilot hold from the underneath and then run a bigger bit through from the outside. Then a good slosh of epoxy mastic and wax around it all. 

Yeah, I'm not 100% this is the right part for my car, but I couldn't find anything else - if you compare the mount on the top of that cooler in the diagram it's 90 degrees to mine.  Might have to `Macgyver` something up 🤷🏻

--

Actually that makes more sense now I look at it again. The mount I've bought then bolts up to the mount on the back of the headlight bucket, not instead of it.  Hopefully turned through 90 degrees it will just replace the welded on mount.

The cooler was a hard mount before, so that should be fine, but I'll offer it up and see what gives. Who knows if it will work or not! 

-- edit -- 

If it comes up short, maybe I can extend it with something like this between the mount and the back of the headlight

1779142-40.jpg

Edited by Northy

• 4 weeks later...

I sorted this out in the end. 

The oil cooler mounts directly to the bracket from photos above and then I put a 10mm rubber washer between the mount and the headlamp bucket.  In doing so I buggered the bottom cooler mounts; the nuts were well seized on those too, so had to break out the Dremel and get medieval on it all (I just bought a battery Dremel; that and my battery ratchet are my new favourite tools).  

Wings are all back on and sealed up.  It looks OK; the profiles of the wings aren't perfect and the gaps are a little bit large on one side, but I can live with it on my bitsa. 

Now got to get the alloy bonnet on, give it a service and change this leaking oil return tube. 

Now it’s back together it’s time to pump the body full of this stuff ready for winter driving. I get this on eBay for about £50 for 6 tins. It comes with wands to poke into the body etc and I basically just go nuts with it. All over the underbody and inside the arches etc. It’s worked well for me so far. 

Don’t forget your mask 😷 

890A9226-178E-47DD-825F-D06C70CCCDB4.thumb.jpeg.6ab4092b171441f4c4e9f5f57f11aa7b.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Do you have wheel arch liners Lewis, or is this instead of?

Yeah I have liners.  I was very impressed when I took them off.  This was what they looked liked underneath. These wings went on about 10+ years ago and have had arch liners since Dom did that first run, what's that 6-8 years ago? 

I use the wax as well - cover it over everything really, the a-arms, anti roll bars, bottom of fuel tank, up behind headlamps, rear light clusters, kidney bowls, inside the chassis, the lot.  Basically anywhere i can get the wand.   It's almost clear so it's not very noticeable. 

image.thumb.png.e27bfc956fb4ffce04839b6a1c40ebc2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had another go at lining this bonnet up (other thread) I’ve removed all the hinge shims, and removed the latch and the rubber seal. It does sit much better but I’ve found the problem. 

The front of the bonnet frame is sitting on the latch panel, but only on one side. 

I’ve tried twisting and tweaking the frame and it does help but there just isn’t an easy way to stop the bonnet sitting on the latch panel. 

If I could get the latch to go any lower it might pull it down, but the latch is bottomed out already and the bonnet already sits a few mm higher with the latch in. 

So... what to do.  

I don’t really want to take a BFH to the latch panel to bend it down (although that might work), nor do I really want to take a BFH to a genuine 964RS bonnet (seems a bit sacrilegious). 

So, I’m a bit torn what to do. Neither of those options are particularly appealing.  Maybe I just flip the bonnet and try a carbon fibre or decent fibre glass one.  Or maybe save my money and put the steel one back on for now. 

16 minutes ago, Northy said:

The front of the bonnet frame is sitting on the latch panel, but only on one side. 

It's not sitting on the latch panel, it's sitting on the latch panel plastic cover, which is easily removed.

11 minutes ago, Northy said:

If anyone has any bright ideas on how to overcome it, I’m all ears 👂🏼 

Try taking the plastic cover off the latch panel, it will give you a few extra mm of space and it is only decorative.

If it does give you enough space you could maybe slot the bolt holes in the latch receptor a bit more so that can move down and pull the latch down.

A bit of compressible foam on the latch panel would stop any rattles.

I see Ian got in before me on the plastic trim!

Mark 

Yes, true. I could try that. That would tell me if it’s just that final few mm left.  It does seem like there is some flex in the panel, but I’m pretty reluctant to start beating on it. 

28 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

It may be that the 964 version is different

The latch panel may be different, but the bonnet pressings and locating holes/threads are the same.

24 minutes ago, Northy said:

It does seem like there is some flex in the panel, but I’m pretty reluctant to start beating on it. 

If there is some distortion it would have to be in the curve, front to back. It would not have to be great to cause the problem.

If you have some "brave pills" handy you could put some layers of newspaper on the latch panel to pack it and gently push down on the edges of the bonnet about halfway along. It would need spread even pressure on both edges at the same time to avoid both adding dents and any twist!

Mark

IIRC I took the plastic trim off when fitting my very flimsy fg bonnet onto my SC. 

It had been left propped up against a wall for some time so was slightly warped and as a result is still high on one side of the leading edge 😵 

Edited by GaryH

Not sure if it's any help but I don't think any of them fit perfectly so it's damage limitation.

It's also a proper balancing act of getting the height right at a#each of the 4 corners, getting the side gaps and rear gap even and getting the front to line up properly.

Can't really tell from the video but are apart from the height at the front, are you happy the back and sides are as good as they can be?  Also, with the twist at the front, will this just pull down correctly when the latch is engaged?

I had to do some funky stuff with mine and ended up removing everything, so plastic panel and the two adjustable rubber stops at each sides. I also did some gangster mod on the bonnet catch to allow some adjustment and get it to close properly but it does now sit nice and flat on the rubber. Apologies for splashing pics of my car on your thread!

Maybe remove the plastic panel and rubbers, start from zero and build it up from there. It might just pull even when latched but close down on one side first.

thumbnail_20201030_093351.jpg

thumbnail_20201030_093357.jpg

thumbnail_20201030_093334.jpg

20181004_164241.jpg

That's really helpful thanks mate.

Funnily enough, I was trying to visualise how I would butcher the latch this morning.  I ordered a spare latch earlier in the week and will take the dremel to it 🙂 

@GaryH the front will sit flat, I reckon.  It's about 8 inches back up the bonnet that it's a bit high.  The gap at the back is a bit wider than before, but I think the 964 bonnet is a bit shorter than an IB one, so it's got to give somewhere. 

@SilverWT thanks for the tips 👍

I'll have another go later and I'll take some photos.   

19 minutes ago, Northy said:

@GaryH the front will sit flat, I reckon.  It's about 8 inches back up the bonnet that it's a bit high. 

Ah ok, that would be more noticeable. 

(Btw,  why can you not delete smilies and other people's forum names from quoted posts on the mobile version of the forum software 🤔?) 

My back edge gap (for reference)

DSCF0505.JPG

Edited by GaryH

3 hours ago, Northy said:

but I think the 964 bonnet is a bit shorter than an IB one

No, they are exactly the same, even the 993 one is the same except for holes made for the screen wash jets.

Mark