Impact Bumpers
Northy

Northy's 911SC

Thanks for the heads up Lewis. I've just ordered a pair from the Italian guy (but direct, not from his eBay listings). His price of 89 Euros inc shipping for two compares very favourably with Europa Spares (£69 plus vat & postage each). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

I think that painted will look more beautiful and flawless.

Sebrings are a big improvement mate. I've had a pair in my garage for a while now waiting for me to fit them to something. I need to get on with it.

A few quick updates:

A job lot of rubber goodness from Mr Moss at Early 911 - http://www.early911.co.uk

I have burnt the old rubber from my spare spring plates which are going to be dipped and re-plated ready for the new rubbers. I also have new front top mounts, front TB bushes and gearlinkage bushes. I'm looking forward to fitting that lot.

rubber-bits.jpg

I also decided to wrap my M&K to quieten it a tad:

wrapping.jpg

I managed to snare an early handbrake assembly on DDK too - which should clean up nicely and will remove the need for the twisty knob.

This weekend is sill repairs.... pics to follow.

I managed to snare an early handbrake assembly on DDK too - which should clean up nicely and will remove the need for the twisty knob.

One lever version or two ?

Edited by GaryH

It has two levers but one is for the hand throttle. Should be OK to use or modify it to work.

It has two levers but one is for the hand throttle. Should be OK to use or modify it to work.

Cool - really early one then.

I could rig one up for both sides of the heaters and the hand throttle could be used to open a valve on the second outlet of the M&K! :D

I could rig one up for both sides of the heaters and the hand throttle could be used to open a valve on the second outlet of the M&K! :D

Good plan. Make sure the heat stays at the pipes though ;)

An update on sill repair progress:

This is what we started out with:

P1000995.jpg

So after cutting it out, we have this:

P1000997.jpg

P1000998.jpg

Look at all the mud and crap in there.

P1010002.jpg

Luckily the rust spots were very localised with the surrounding metal all solid. Unfortunately, the bottom of the kidney bowl was a bit worse than expected. However it was very localised and didn't warrant taking the whole thing off.

Here it is all cleaned up and treated with 'Metal Ready' to galvanise it before welding. The upper part of the outer sill, top left, was actually cut a bit further back than this picture shows.

P1010006.jpg

Looking down the sill the other way - all good, so a scrub out and some Rustoleum sprayed down there will protect it for a few more years.

P1010004.jpg

More to follow shortly...

P1010044.jpg

First part of outer sill welded in. This joins up with the bottom of the kidney bowl.

P1010046.jpg

In good company at the Perkles shed of dreams:

P1010015.jpg

Andy's car is mega. It's going to be f*ing brilliant when it's done. Check out this for detail:

P1010019.jpg

I'm loving the drilled door handle triggers - so cool.

P1010021.jpg

P1010030.jpg

Lewis,

initially I thought oooerrr, But, now stripped that's very good in there and the bit you did have was localised.

Always a 'tightening of the cheeks' time when you cut the outer off, aye? Be up and running in no time mate. :signs118:

Excellent.

Regards

Jammo. ;)

This picture shows how the sill joins up with the kidney bowl:

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

At this point Lord Glynn rocked up:

P1010063.jpg

OK here is the bottom of the wing being welded in:

P1010064.jpg

The profile of the bottom of the wing is the same as the outer sill, so a section of the sill piece works perfectly here.

P1010066.jpg

The bottom of the b-pillar still needed a bit of work yet.

Bit of fettle from Mr P:

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Commitment to get it finished: (top man)

P1010073.jpg

P1010077.jpg

At this point we were running out of time, so final finishing and grinding will be for another day. Quick coat of rustoleum to stop it rusting in the meantime:

P1010079.jpg

P1010080.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010083.jpg

In an ideal world we'd have replaced the whole sill and probably the rear wing too, but lets be realistic - we aren't talking about restoring a rare car here and to be honest I don't think this level of localised rust warrants hacking the car up that much. So, all in all what a great job Andy has done - considering he's not finished it yet, it's only going to need a light skim to hide the welds and it's going to look great for another 20 years.

Cheers mate I really appreciate your efforts :signs118:

Nice work Andy! Add another contribution to the engine rebuild fund!

And GET SOME SAFETY GOGGLES!

Nice work Andy! Add another contribution to the engine rebuild fund!

And GET SOME SAFETY GOGGLES!

stop razzing around graffiting stuff and I will :D

Too cold for the welding flip flops? At least the safety contact lenses are still doing the biz. They'll be queueing up for a bit of that workmanship, well done.

Great work Andy, when are you giving up your day job then.

Can't wait to see the Ark up and running, haven't seen it in real life yet.

I think your right Lewis about the level of repairing, it can get out of hand time and money wise if your not careful.

lol just a hobby Steve.Northys rust again was mud in the kidney sill trap and the factory undeseal failing, once water gets under it its all over.

We had a good poke around and the rest of the car is sound but we plan to do some more rustoleum protection ,re underseal any flaky areas and wax oil it to death.

Didnt realise his car was non sunroof ,the M&K sounds very different to my gen 3 much more bass rumble,its the best 3.0sc I have driven it goes like stink with great throttle response

its the best 3.0sc I have driven it goes like stink with great throttle response

Yep, I agree, super little car. Tuthill engine rebuild and a tiny hike in compression equals a quality driving machine.

deja vu, good work fellas, though the lack of goggles is about the first thing I notice. Safety first guys, eyes injuries are the worst, except maybe a limb or two.

Hope you bought the pizza John!

P1010077.jpg

Good old Perkie, He laughs in the face of danger.

He even practiced on his car first so that he could get it right for this one.

Top fella, top job.

He gets my nomination for IBer of the year. :signs118:

How are the door cards though mate :o

It's OK, I'm in the queue for when Perkles starts making his ones available. ;)