Northy's 911SC

Northy

Looking good fellas. I best put the heating on in my garage and get painting, there's too much cold/damp air otherwise.

I guess you don't mind that little step before it meets the sill top/cover not being there?

Looking good fellas. I best put the heating on in my garage and get painting, there's too much cold/damp air otherwise.

I guess you don't mind that little step before it meets the sill top/cover not being there?

You mean the bit where the b-pillar joins the upper sill? The bit that is lead filled?

To be honest, I'm not bothered. Like I said earlier, I think the fact it's had the work done is better than not having it done. Very few of these cars are not going to require repair work at some point. It's never going to be a concourse car, so as long as it's solid and looks right I am not too fussed. It's surprising how structural that area is. My car is quite stiffly shocked and over sharp bumps or pot holes it would occasionally clonk the door against the frame - that has stopped since this work was done. So it was clearly flexing a lot around that area - bit like a targa :P

I've now done the front end and the whole drivers side. After Christmas I'm going to take all the windows out and get the back half of the car and the passenger side done. Then it will be solid all over :)

Yeah that bit, wasn't sure what to do with it myself, one side wasn't affected but I built it up a bit with weld on the other side as I had to reconstruct it. Lead don't weld very well :lol: as I found out.

The B Post repair panel comes with the 'step' in it. You can see it on mine below:

IMGP0308.jpg

The other side had gone in the same area, but I just did as you said Nige, cut out and welded it up, and then reshaped it. Worked out easier and cheaper than buying the panel to be honest.

The B Post repair panel comes with the 'step' in it. You can see it on mine below:

IMGP0308.jpg

The other side had gone in the same area, but I just did as you said Nige, cut out and welded it up, and then reshaped it. Worked out easier and cheaper than buying the panel to be honest.

Whats that dimple in the sill above the jacking point? Might ain't got that.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is absolutely filthy, so excuse that; But I finished getting the ducktail on and the light grille fitted up. So what do you reckon?

P1010493.jpg

P1010494.jpg

P1010496.jpg

P1010500.jpg

P1010502.jpg

Still needs a bit of tweaking around the trim and I may well re-do the mesh part to get a better shape compared to the recess and perhaps in something with smaller holes. But all of it is alloy and weighs nothing. The spacers that lift the grille off the ducktail are alloy tube with shrink tube around them - it worked a treat.

It seems to divide opinion a bit though, Mr brother said "where did you get that from, Tesco?"

So, what do you reckon? keep it or cut down my spare plastic grille and return it to Tesco?

Thanks guys.

You're probably right about the protection front, although the standard grille probably doesn't offer that much protection, does it? Either way, that's one of the reasons I thought I might try and source some finer mesh - anyone know any good sources? needs to be alloy and ideally anodised black.

I'm with your brother on this one mate. Reckon finer mesh would look good though. The only reason I'm not that struck is you can see so much through it. I can't decide whether to run a fine mesh one, a holey one like the singer with a block off for noise tests, or the old ally style ones.

You're probably right about the protection front, although the standard grille probably doesn't offer that much protection, does it? Either way, that's one of the reasons I thought I might try and source some finer mesh - anyone know any good sources? needs to be alloy and ideally anodised black.

Have you tried Car Builder Solutions, their catalogue has some useful/interesting stuff in it?

Regards

Ian

• 1 month later...

Looks ready for some action.

Got to collect my knob from postman pat in the morning. Apparently my knob is to big to fit through the flaps on the box!

Edited by Nige

Actually they just need a signature I just wanted to get knobs, flaps and box in the same sentence. Poorly executed really, my excuse is that I still doing work at this hour!!!! Would you believe it.