Martin's 911SC 3.6

mrg3.6

I'm seriously considering purchasing a really nice pre-73 Gruppe 911 from California and that leaves me with a real dilema as I would need to consider the 'un-thinkable' i.e. sell my RHD 83 SC 3.6 which I have driven for nearly ten years and brings a smile/fear to my face every time I boot that 3.6 on the way to work.

As some of you may know. the SC was going to be the subject of an RSR backdate (I nearly have all the parts), but now I'm beginning to think that I should stick with a period 73 shell and engine.

So before I do anything stupid has anyone got a feel for what my SC is worth?

RHD 83 SC (purchased when I worked in Singapore) with full service record

993 chipped engine (9m conversion with mapped (claimed?) power in excess of 300 hp)

993 / 965 caliper conversion

B&B performance oil cooler

Stainless Steel twin outlet exhaust

Recent Sach HD Clutch

Wevo engine / suspension mounts

Short shift + Wevo Coupler

915 7" Fuchs Front + 8" 911 Fuchs Rear

Turbo tie rods

New drive shafts

Blue leather interior

Ill fitting halfords spray paint ducktail + original Turbo tail

Etc

The SC is very reliable, has been regularly serviced and goes (& stops) like the wind, whilst the downside being 25 years of road chips and the usual tired paintwork so I would plan for a future re-spray if perfection is the aim.

Anyway just looking for a feel on value at this point before the 'for sale' sign goes up.

Thx

Martin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think when you weigh it versus what Jev's, Tim's (and to some extent Perkles) cost you would have to say in the 10.5 to 11ish bracket if the shell is rot free, maybe a tiny touch more with the RHD. Could be worth considering a freshen up with paint and a bit of trim, take the value to 14/15 maybe, but them maybe also worth leaving a new colour up to a new owner. I'll help you do your ad & insurance valuation if you decide to sell. I think buying a done car and selling the narrowbody as is (i.e. not welded arches) is a good idea, yours could make a good 73 RS rep for someone so don't confine your ads to post '73 boards.

The thing for you is that most people in the market are first timers who want a stock car, it takes years for them to wake up to what really makes a 911 tick and want to build something like yours. Maybe there is someone out there thinking of building the same thing you have, in which case job done, but you won't know until you advertise (LOL Tripe).

Hi.

I think it depends who's looking for one. Find the right buyer who wants a Hot Rod then I would say £10-£12k maybe more.

But on the other hand for someone just wanting a solid SC and taking into account the cost of a decent paint jo bit could be alot lower.

I'm sure everyone will have differing idea's on this, as we all seem to value different aspects 911 ownership.

Then there is splitting the engine out, selling that on here and replacing with an 3.0ltr..?

Best of luck with the sale.

Db.

ps I'm sure the Big Guns will be chimeing in anytime soon!!

Exciting times Martin - not sure I could sell mine.

If you aren't in a hurry I would put it up for sale with a good description and some good pics with a cheeky price and see if you get any bites. You see 3.6ers at far ends of the price scale, lovejoy struggled to sell his for sensible money whereas that orange one we saw at a few trackdays was bought for quite a high price I think and later advertised at similar money.

im sure someone with £14k burning a hole in their pocket looking for a 3.2 would be very interested in yours if you took them for a spin.

The thing for you is that most people in the market are first timers who want a stock car, it takes years for them to wake up to what really makes a 911 tick and want to build something like yours. Maybe there is someone out there thinking of building the same thing you have, in which case job done, but you won't know until you advertise (LOL Tripe).

Throw in a free PCGB membership that should be a winner! :rlol:

Don't tempt me Martin! Can you post a few pics? (worth a thousand words etc)

post-233-1206041374_thumb.jpg

A quiet moment having pulled the speedo off the clock trying to keep up with Matteo's GT on the way to the Ring.

you would have to say in the 10.5 to 11ish bracket if the shell is rot free, maybe a tiny touch more with the RHD.

Hmmmm - better off pulling the engine, I still have the TWM's and 3.8 barrels and pistons in the loft

Exciting times Martin - not sure I could sell mine.

There-in lies the dilema - that 3.6 engine is really what is holding me back, although I suppose a pumped up MFI 2.7 probably has it's own attractions.

Hmmmm - better off pulling the engine, I still have the TWM's and 3.8 barrels and pistons in the loft

It could be more mate, I am only thinking about how fast you want to sell it.

If it really is going then get it up for sale ASAP. I agree with Jevvy, set the price you think you need and see what the response is like.

Then there is splitting the engine out, selling that on here and replacing with an 3.0ltr..?

Together with pulling the 993/965 brakes this seems like the best plan and then flog the SC and fire the balance onto ebay.

It could be more mate, I am only thinking about how fast you want to sell it.

No immediate rush to sell but it seems like it's probably worth more in bits, I know a guy broke up a knackered old LHD SC and made £7k for the parts on ebay.

I'm seriously considering purchasing a really nice pre-73 Gruppe 911 from California

Can anybody (Mr Perkles?) give me some solid advice on the shipping process from the US.

I'm interested in recommended companies, likely costs. collection & clearance procedure, payment of tax/duty etc and any other relevant processes required to get the car up and running on a British road.

Assuming I pull this deal off, I am thinking about driving the car from San Francisco to either Boston or New York (depends on best shipping option) and I was wondering how I would handle US registration and insurance issues or would I just be better off shipping the thing out of the West coast coz this is too much hastle?

Thx

Martin

I'm seriously considering purchasing a really nice pre-73 Gruppe 911 from California

The evil deed has been done, deposit sent and transaction should be wrapped up in the next few weeks followed by a painful wait while this little beauty floats it's way (hopefully) around the Cape - now all I need to do is explain all this to the wife.

Anyway, expect my current pride and joy to be up for sale :( once it's older brother arrives, so in the meantime expressions of interest (sensible offers) or questions will be gratefully received.

By the way please note over the last 10 years, I have invested a ton of effort not to mention money transforming the SC into a serious sleeper, so it will only go to someone who will seriously appreciate it and it certainly won't be a 'quick bargain basement sale' unless of course I gift it to my 10 year old son.

Next challenge will be to turn a hot Rgruppe 2.7 into an even hotter 2.8? :rolleyes:

Thx

Martin

911SC 3.6

The evil deed has been done, deposit sent and transaction should be wrapped up in the next few weeks followed by a painful wait while this little beauty floats it's way (hopefully) around the Cape - now all I need to do is explain all this to the wife.

Well done Mart, good move. Whose car is it - any links?

On shipping you could talk to Alan Shores at Kingstown, very helpful guy who I spoke to while doing a piece for 911 PW on importing. There is a bit of backlog at the mo, expect a 5 or 6 week wait to get the car on a boat.

JG

Well done Mart, good move. Whose car is it - any links?

I'm tempting my luck by posting this before the cash finally flows but as it's you, here's a 72 MFI taster:

post-233-1206177178_thumb.jpg

Martin

Could you wait till the new one arrives just in case you have a change of heart?

Jevvy,

As you will appreciate more than most, I really do not want to sell the 3.6, that car is like a second child (despite it's tired paintwork) and it won't be going anywhere until the 72 hits our shores in the vague hope that the lottery comes in.

Martin

Sorry Martin I missed your post for advice on shipping,I have seen the car you are buying on the net somewhere it looks nice.

Shipping cost me a grand + 250 insurance port to port ,be careful with the small print on the insurance as it wont cover your new purchase in a dock or warehouse only a container.

It will take the full 6 weeks to ship :( , make sure you get all the paperwork and log books with the car to prove age of vehicle otherwise registration is a ball ache.I think Kingstown transport across country and ship from Florida via the west coast anything else I can think of I will post up but please ask.

Good Luck Andy :signs118:

Looks mega nice buddy but I have to say that of the pair, your SC would be the one I'd pick. Congrats nonetheless!

Hence the title of the thread - I have to find a way of keeping that bloody 3.6?

Martin

It will take the full 6 weeks to ship :( , make sure you get all the paperwork and log books with the car to prove age of vehicle otherwise registration is a ball ache.

Andy,

Thanks for the info, fortunately the current owner will ship (CIF) to UK port as part of the deal so that makes my life a little easier.

By the way great article in 911 World - mate you've found yourself a real gem there.

Martin

make sure you get all the paperwork and log books with the car to prove age of vehicle otherwise registration is a ball ache. Andy

Andy or others - a few import related questions

1. US Title

How is the change of US title handled, is it a simple case of the previous owner filling in the necesssary form and posting on the paperwork or would I need to register as a new title owner in the US.

2. UK Registration Plate

Having applied for a new UK registration plate will I be offered a choice of age related plates or is the number issued randomly as it falls off the DLVA list.

3. Existing A Reg plate

Am I correct in assuming that I will not be able to transfer my A911 plate to the 72T

Thx

Martin

Andy or others - a few import related questions

1. US Title

How is the change of US title handled, is it a simple case of the previous owner filling in the necesssary form and posting on the paperwork or would I need to register as a new title owner in the US.

2. UK Registration Plate

Having applied for a new UK registration plate will I be offered a choice of age related plates or is the number issued randomly as it falls off the DLVA list.

3. Existing A Reg plate

Am I correct in assuming that I will not be able to transfer my A911 plate to the 72T

Thx

Martin

1.The owner has to fill in a form to declare he has sold the car,you need to do nothing here

2.You will get an age related plate ,double make sure you have the cars original log book or title cert as the DVLA will want proof of age for this

3.I think you can do this at a later date

Martin call the DVLA about your exisiting plate they are suprisingly quite knowledgeable and helpful over this.Ask for a V55 form so you can read it over while you are waiting V55

Edited by MrPerkles

1. US Title

2. UK Registration Plate

3. Existing A Reg plate

1: Previous owner reports it as deregistered and leaving the country.

2: Random as off the list unless you have a suitable plate on retention to first reg it as. However if you do this the plate is then non-transferable. Get them to issue first.

3: Yes unless the 72T has been built on a chassis dating later than August 1983. If it really did start as a 72T then you are looking at a suffix plate or get a personal one. You can legally run black on silver plates though.