Sladey's 3.2 Backdate Hot Rod

I managed to get in to Wayne on 14th January. This turned into a bit of a saga as

a. we had a problem with my engine cutting out (as if it had hit the rev limiter) at under 5K revs and

b. someone else was having a half hour run-up on the rollers in the middle of my work which turned into 5 and a half hours

Eventually Wayne was able to alleviate some of the cutting out problem by fitting a resistor in-line. This meant that it cut out at about 6K which whilst not perfect meant the car is very drivable. I got some readouts - they are skewed at the end because the cutting out throws a spike into the graph

I left Wayne's at ten to one in the morning :blink:

power%20jan%2014%202016jpg_zpsoa5johij.j

This shows just over 270bhp at 6K rpm - and the curve probably had a bit more to go when the 'limiter' kicked in. And yes before the funsuckers come along yes I know it's on the 9M Meeeleeeon horsepower dyno but I'm still well happy with the result.

Here's the torque one showing it maxing out at around 230

power%20and%20torque%20jan%2014%202016_z

So....

VERY happy with how it's driving but I still want to sort out the false limited problem. I've tried a few things so far and had a few more up my sleeve. However I also emailed Canems about it and they say they have an upgrade to the ECU that should sort the problem out. It will cost £50 plus VAT and if it doesn't work he won't charge me. On top of all that he's going to send me a new unit and let me send mine back. Bear in mind the is on second hand kit he sold a few years ago - I think this is fantastic customer service.

If even that doesn't work I have a few other avenues to try - fitting a larger resistor or fitting a new sensor wheel (clewitt possibly) in place of the fan belt wheel.

It's driving really really well. Pulling like a train in every gear. Tickover is occasionally high but I can change those settings myself - -just need to be methodical and take them a bit at a time.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great stuff :)

I have been reading the blow by blow on DDK. I wouldn't get too upset about the 9M dyno. There are runs that are clearly wrong with spikes and a high headline number, which some choose to quote (I saw 303hp on the screen, but the graph had a spike in it) and then there are the repeatable ones with a clean curve (all of mine around 280hp). I had a standard 3.2 graph overlaid on mine and it was making exactly what you expect (IIRC 220-something). I don't think the dyno is too far wrong for our power range. On ITBs, you will certainly make more power. I know that the real gains are above 7000rpm but our 3.2s run out of breathing at about 6000rpm. Even with cams and exhaust they run out at about 6600rpm. My strong hunch is that you will have an improvement in the 6-7000rpm range.

Thanks Richard.

If a woman tells me I'm the best she's ever been with I don't tend to ask for her cv of previous lovers in order to get a suitable frame of reference. I just take the compliment and strut down the road.

I'm taking the 9m dyno in the same manner - especially when I compare it to other cars on the same dyno.

I *may* have the option of going the ITB route soon and would obviously share the results. In the meantime it's going great so I'm not in any great rush to change as it's already been a substantial improvement

Yes he was fine using it - he said it had been a while since he'd done one.

The software is nice and easy to use (although I've got no frame of reference to compare it against) - here's the manual http://www.canems.co.uk/pdf/Canems%20DRH%20Motronic%20ML1-X.pdf

The other night on the way home from work the idle was hunting a bit so while at a set of lights I grabbed my laptop out of my back and plugged it into the port under the passenger seat and monitored all the inputs for the next 10 minutes.

I'd love to say I was able to spot the problem but I'm still working on that. Felt pretty cool though

Edited by sladey

If a woman tells me I'm the best she's ever been with I don't tend to ask for her cv of previous lovers in order to get a suitable frame of reference. I just take the compliment and strut down the road.

He he, funniest thing I've read all week!

Nice thread ;)

Nice work Mark - do you know if 9M are still using the Dynostar dyno? The print out you have is very different to the one I had last year, so assuming just different software.

Not sure Shirish - I've just seen looked through the vids I took and can't see any brand names on the screen

Looks like exactly the same as the plot I had 1 long year ago:

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13338-alexs-36-engine-transplant/?p=306650

Great stuff Mark, love the work and development you are putting into that car.

Also, got to say hats off to Canems for their service. Customer support like that can only make them a more attractive proposition.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update to this and for those of you who haven't been following my thread on DDK

Got the new ECU (with improved circuitry) through the post last Thursday, plugged it in, loaded my map. Then I removed the in-series resistor wire and off I went. Drove fine. If anything slightly smoother than before.
Remember previously without the resistor wire in it would cut out at 4800 rpm. I have to go through built up areas until I can get to open roads and take it up to the limiter. On the way there and in a 40 zone a boy racer was up my chuff. The lights up ahead changed to red and I pulled into the left hand lane - he darted out into the right hand lane. As the lights changed and I childishly blew him into the weeds I realized the new ECU was working as it dawned on me that I'd just gone over 5K in 1st :shock: (didn't speed though)
Eventually got out to the countryside and ran it up to 5500 in second - no problem so far..... Changed into third and kept going - I was struggling to find a long enough straight. Eventually took it well over 6K in third - up to near 7K. Turned round at the lights and repeated the process on the way back - the proper rev limiter cuts in at 6500 - 6800 (not sure which) and a damn sight gentler than what I've been experiencing.
yeah baby!!!!!!
Soooooo chuffed!!!!
Since then I've been driving it every day (natch!) and it's been pulling like a train. It's surprising the difference it makes knowing it's not going to violently cut out at 6K rpm. From reading around it looks like the crank sensor is a common issue for IBs and linked to a combination of lots of teeth on the ring and less than perfect earthing somewhere in the car.
Canems have been fantastic throughout which was totally unexpected - I bought second had kit that was a few years old. I will be returning to them when I eventually go to ITBs as they do a Jenvey throttle body kit. I've no affiliation to them - just knocked out by a ridiculously helpful attitude and great product.
Cheers
Mark
Edited by sladey

• 2 years later...

I've done plenty of updates to the car over the last few years (suspension etc) but thought this latest update might be of interest to people on here - I backdate my dashboard to a Singer-style dash.

It wasn't an easy process but I'm pleased with the results

The process starts on this page:-

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6932&start=1725

Excellent work and great ingenuity Mark. It looks great, I must resist tearing my dash apart.....:glare:.... another job I don't need :lol: but you can't beat some polished aluminium. I like those Renn Line knobs too.

Inspirational stuff Sladey.

I love reading projects like yours and seeing the nice little unique touches people put on their cars. 

Nice one 👍

Paul