Sladey's 3.2 Backdate Hot Rod

One man's firm is another man's soft. Can't believe I've just written that.

My previous stock torsion bar setup was just right for me - so I'm going to try and recreate that. Be interesting to know the RSR setup though

Haha - yes, you might have considered that twice over before posting :)

My suspension is a lot firmer than stock, but i'll try and dig out the numbers for you. The weight of the car and tires will also make a difference.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great work Sladey :signs118:

Be interested to see a bit more detail on the sunroof delete.

"The standard steel bonnet is around 10 Kg

When I changed to a CF bonnet my steel IB one weighed 17kg. I would have thought a long hood would weigh a bit more as it's, wait for it, longer!

Mark

You lazy sod!

I love the arch work, looks great. How much wider do you recon you've gone, somewhere in between standard and turbo?

Being nosey but if you're running 993 h/e on your 3.2, what silencer do you run?

Cracking stuff Mark, it really is nearly as good as the 'value' thread :P , are you gonna put periscope washers on it for the finishing touch?

Ha!

I'll have to weigh my old bonnet and see for sure.

The silencer is one by M&K built for this. Richard Bernau bought it but when he got it, it didn't fit the heat exchangers. He paid to have it cut and shut to make it fit. I've tweaked it since getting it - levelling off the tailpipes.

On the arches I reckon I've gone about 5-10mm wider. They look pretty cool though IMHO

I'll post a bit more about the sunroof in a minute

Great work, Mark. Your car was one of my inspirations to backdate mine.

2.5kg!? That's a tasty weight saving! I thought the steel bonnets were 19kg? The CF bonnets from EB Motorsport were 5.5kg whilst their FG one was 6.5kg (from memory) hence me asking!

That and your sunroof delete should be an excellent reduction and very noticeable. :cool:

My grp conversion bonnet from EB weighed in at 7.19kg but I measured my steel bonnet @ 16kg (bathroom scales as too heavy for my more accurate ones).

Ok for more detail on the sunroof delete go to

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6932&start=780

Having thought about the job, here are a few points about it:-

I bought a panel made by Fenn lane (but I bought it second hand)

It didn't really have enough crown to it. I don't know if it was an early version or what. It was quite a bit bigger than the hole but I cut the roof accordingly

I made a template for the roof shape but with hindsight I should have made it more accurate

I supported it from below but with hindsight I should have spent more time on this to be more certain of the shape

Once it was in place and skimmed with filler it was hard to feel which bits were high and which bits were low. I tapped one high spot down and cracked the filler, which meant I had to grind back that corner and weld it up and refill it.

In the end Neil did quite a bit of work on the shape until he was happy with it. On reflection I think if I'd spent more time on the template and support it would have meant less shaping later

As it is I'm really happy with the shape and really happy with the loss of weight

There's also a nice little article about it on John Millers site - at

http://www.classiccarreras.com/964%20Sunroof.html

Hello Sladey,

For my car, they used the original panel from the sunroof to make the roof. no need of any filler from what I remember. couldn't you used yours?

The problem with that is that it leaves a big gap all the way round. I suppose you could then cut some steel to bridge that gap and make it solid - would be a bit fiddly though. I think you'd still need some filler either way though. Once you cut the edge off the roof moulding it's also going to be a bit floppy

Tea boy made his from the back part of another roof

There's a few ways to do it but I preferred to choose one I'd seen done successfully before.

Edited by sladey

Tea boy made his from the back part of another roof

There's a few ways to do it but I preferred to choose one I'd seen done successfully before.

Ere! are you saying mine wasn't successful? :smash:

I am glad to see you have remembered your IB roots Mark :D

Haha - yes but yours involved tig so you could panel beat it afterwards and I don't have a tig (or any clue how to tig weld)

And yes Mark yours was successful - beautiful even.

I should add that my summary above makes the roof sound like it was a mess - that's not the case - I was pretty happy with the roof from the getgo - it was minor tweaking in a couple of areas. After a while I became 'roof blind'

I was just passing on the benefit of 20/20 hindsight in case someone else was thinking of doing the job

Yep - each day I get home is really exciting

Also I can't wait to drive that Mike Bainbridge engine, AND to feel the effect of the added lightness AND to see if there's any difference with the coilover rears

This was what I came home to last night

3D465F57-3FDC-4863-9760-BDA5D412E18F_zps

B7ED93E7-85A2-4D33-AEF9-2B2CA1973832_zps

It's not a good impression of the colour as this was as it looked in strip lighting - this one gives a better impression of the shade under daylight

BE5A77B1-F18D-4822-807E-90E99B1CAA1A_zps

Thanks - it's Porsche Aquamarine Blue 5707 - it's a porsche 356 colour from 1957-1959.

I've loved it for a while on a few 356's I've seen and something similar on one or two early 911s

There will be stripes and decals.......

Are you going for a vintage racecar colour scheme Sladey? I vaguely remember a dark blue and yellow RSR but cant remember the sponsors.

I really liked your previous silver with Orange stripe combo.

Going back to your cf bonnet, is it a competition version then at only 2.5kg? Only ask as its half the weight of the one offered by EB and they wanted £1500 for their 5kg CF bonnet! Did you get a CF bootlid too? Think FVD do a ducktail one but its spendy at approx. 1K.

Are you going for a vintage racecar colour scheme Sladey? I vaguely remember a dark blue and yellow RSR but cant remember the sponsors.

Going back to your cf bonnet, is it a competition version then at only 2.5kg? Only ask as its half the weight of the one offered by EB and they wanted £1500 for their 5kg CF bonnet! Did you get a CF bootlid too? Think FVD do a ducktail one but its spendy at approx. 1K.

Interesting

On the colour scheme I'm just going with what I like. I like the older looking colours and both the main body colour and the stripe will have a 50's feel to them. I'm not following any specific car - just what I think looks cool. I've got a box of vinyls in my bedroom with the script etc, but I've also got a nice envelope of stickers - many of which I had on the old car - I like a few stickers

The bonnet - don't think it's a competition version - although it's astoundingly light, it is really well made. Neil who's doing my bodywork has commented on what a high quality item it is - there are no ripples or undulations as you look along it. All the standard brackets and internal light etc will fit into it. I haven't weighed it myself so I can't verify the 2.5K but it shocks you each time you pick it up. On price I got it from Nick at Early 911 for 695 plus VAT which seems like a billy bargain in view of the other prices you've quoted

Not gone for carbon bootlid but I will do in the future when I can afford it. I only replaced the bonnet because I had to - it was that or a considerable amount of repair work on my existing one. Good condition steel ones are spendy, new ones exhorbitant, glass fibre variable quality, so Nicks seemed the best compromise and the lightness was a bonus. The quality is a double bonus.

And I like the new colour more - "Blue is beautiful, blue is best..."

Car is looking to be amazing Mark, can't wait to see the finished product! :signs85: