Tyres for wide 15's

greggmay

Just thinking ahead really, but looking at the availability of street legal tyres for the wider 15" Fuchs, I'm talking 15 x 10" or 11".

I remember a few years back when I was involved with Cobras, Panteras and GT40s that it was real hard to come by a tyre to fit whilst retaining the right rolling radius, most end up too tall.

The closest I can find is a 285 40 R15 Yoko and the 345 35 R15 used on Panteras and Countachs. The prices make you wince a bit! I cant find any listings for the wide Pirelli P7's that used to be about either.

Just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

Edited by greggmay

Thanks Martin,

they look like just the thing. Great period pattern too, rather than the P-Zero modern look.

Keeping my eyes open for the wheels now! Just needed to confirm the availability of tyres before buying wheels I couldn't clothe.

Your cars look great BTW :)

Edited by greggmay

Ah ha, I have a cunning plan!

The narrow IROC panels are going on it for now, but collecting the bits for a 3.0 RS/IROC looky likey, not to everyones taste on a 3.2, but hey, I like it.....

Going to be a bit of artistic licence as I'm going to use Turbo flares etc though. I already have a set of steel rear flares (got the LE vents though, sadly) and hopefully pair of 930 front wings, so just the mouldings front and rear plus the RS/IROC tail to find.

Just to be inkeeping with the thread, does anyone know if my standard 15x8 rears will be the right offset to put under the front 930 arches. Just trying to see if I need a full set or would get away with just buying a pair of 15x10's for the rear..... I'm tight I know ;)

Edited by greggmay

Just to be inkeeping with the thread, does anyone know if my standard 15x8 rears will be the right offset to put under the front 930 arches. Just trying to see if I need a full set or would get away with just buying a pair of 15x10's for the rear..... I'm tight I know ;)

I read somewhere that (my) RSR flares are slightly smaller than the equivalent 930 flares and thankfully as I will eventually install 9"+11" Fuchs there seems to be plenty of room for my 8"x15" fronts and 10"x15" rears both of which are spaced outwards.

You can see the f+r spacers on the following photo's:

FrontBrakeCaliper.jpg

Engine.jpg

If you have 930 (rather than 911) trailing arms then the largest rear fuchs you can use within the confines of the 930 flare is 10".

Martin

Thanks for the info Martin, I'll have to check the trailing arms.

Like I say, I want to gather the parts first so its going to be a bit slow getting off the ground.

Will keep you posted, pics and all when I get under way.....

you seen these gregg, might make a cheap set of track wheels?

Hadn't seen these mate, will keep an eye on them though, I quite like the look too......

The Michelins look like the way forward to me, they are not cheap but seem to be the only sensible looking 15" tyre out there in the big sizes.

Hi

I have a set that you might like.

porsche compomotive wheels 3 piece 9" front 11" rear x 15"

They still have some tyres on front 225x50x15 & 345x35x15 rear

But there old tyres pirelli p7s

The offset of the wheels fit a narrow body car with no spacers but you will need bigger arches :rolleyes:

As they are 3 piece you can change back spacing so might suit your needs.

Paul