New 930 owner

seabiscuit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try posting tech topics in their own right in the tech boards, that way they are searchable for future reference - no one is going to look in a thread entitled 'new 930 owner' for O-ring advice.

We'll move some of these posts into a new thread later.

I consider my wrists slapped !... will try and remember the next time I am looking for technical info.

SB

Fingers crossed I think I am sorted..New alternator and new Bosch silver fitted today, and things are looking good. Nice steady 13.2 of charge into the battery. Slightly safer than the + 16 / - 11 I was registering on the old unit. 25 mile trip today and the tacho seems fine..so hope this has it sorted. Came home through a shower and the car was drifting at the back a bit going round the round abouts on the A34...yummy I like this car! :steering:

Fingers crossed I think I am sorted..New alternator and new Bosch silver fitted today, and things are looking good. Nice steady 13.2 of charge into the battery. Slightly safer than the + 16 / - 11 I was registering on the old unit. 25 mile trip today and the tacho seems fine..so hope this has it sorted. Came home through a shower and the car was drifting at the back a bit going round the round abouts on the A34...yummy I like this car! :steering:

Hi,

Great news for you, am delighted you seem to be sorted out, hope to god mine's the same.... if the alternator ever arrives ! I am seriously thinking the pigeon has lost its GPS.. or got shot down somewhere.

So all your hassles are behind you and you can give it a sound thrashing the next time the sun shines .. :revs:

SB

Hi,

Great news for you, am delighted you seem to be sorted out, hope to god mine's the same.... if the alternator ever arrives ! I am seriously thinking the pigeon has lost its GPS.. or got shot down somewhere.

So all your hassles are behind you and you can give it a sound thrashing the next time the sun shines .. :revs:

SB

Hmmm I tend to pop at the odd woody, hope Ive not hit the one with your alternator!..

I am sure you will be sorted in the next day or so, the weather forcast is crap anyway for the rest of the decade so I wouldnt worry to much.

Small tip, although I am sure you know, tread easy in the wet. Mine seems fairly easy to catch when the back goes..but if it was to sneek up on you, it can bite HARD.. :doh2:

Hmmm I tend to pop at the odd woody, hope Ive not hit the one with your alternator!..

I am sure you will be sorted in the next day or so, the weather forcast is crap anyway for the rest of the decade so I wouldnt worry to much.

Small tip, although I am sure you know, tread easy in the wet. Mine seems fairly easy to catch when the back goes..but if it was to sneek up on you, it can bite HARD.. :doh2:

Well you didnt hit mine !... it arrived yesterday, I did nt get a chance to fit it, but had a quick look at it, got the alt back in the housing with the fan on it, my main concern is the wiring, I took notes when I stripped it down ok, but I didnt realise the alt would go back in the fan housing in any orientation.... oops... I got red at top blue on R/H/S brown on Left... then I find you can put the alt in any dam way round !!

the markings on the back of the alt are 3 + and 3- on either side of it... any ideas which colour goes where.....

Ooops I had better post this in the technical section as well, dont want to be banned in my first month !

I am paranoid about the wet weather behavior of em... I wont be going out in anything remotely close to a hint of a cloud for a while yet, I want to get much more comfortable with the car before I try any advanced stuff like rain or roundabouts !!!

SB

Well I've finally got my alternator back in, just finished a while ago. I only had one washer left over ... a personal record !!

and I even know where it's from... off the fan housing strap... boy is that a "challenge" to get back together with only one pair of hands..

I didn't get to take it out for a run, but on tick over and up to 2700rpm the tacho seems to be behaving itself, had the lights on, indicators etc.. and it didn't miss a beat. will recheck a couple of things tomorrow night (i am concerned about the new fan belt slipping) then give it a blast around & see if its a success.

Many thanks guys to all those who contributed or answered my queries.

SB

boy is that a "challenge" to get back together with only one pair of hands..

your not wrong there - doing an alternator swap was one of my fist DIY missions on a 911 and it is one of the most fiddly jobs out there.

you can juggle the shims on the alt shaft to tighten the belt a bit - but you probably already knew that.

your not wrong there - doing an alternator swap was one of my fist DIY missions on a 911 and it is one of the most fiddly jobs out there.

you can juggle the shims on the alt shaft to tighten the belt a bit - but you probably already knew that.

Success !!...... I took it for a great blast last night & all seemed to be well in the Tacho department. The battery is charging normally again and the rev counter behaving itself, so I guess thats the end of this little issue.

Many thanks to all

SB

:ani_clapping: