930 - Access to Plugs & Upper Cam Covers

flatsix777

Hi Guys,

Just checking the service items have been done properly this weekend. I can't easily get access to all the plugs and upper cam covers to do the clearances. The right bank is fine with the AC compressor moved but the left bank is inaccessible (with intercooler off) - looks like would have to remove quite a bit of the fuel injection kit.

Checked Pelican and a number of threads say its necessary to partially drop the motor on the 930 to do these tasks. Is this correct or can you get at them insitu with some more disassembly.

Very grateful for any help.

Cheers David

I watched Bob Watson change the plugs on mine whilst it was on level ground and without removing anything, and even as an expert with the correct tools ( including some very short socket extensions and knuckles ), it took him the best part of an hour....although we were chatting at the same time.

What was telling was that the most difficult one to get at ( LH bank at the front ) took about 20 minutes, and once he got the plug out it was completely different to the rest - looked like it hadn't been removed for at least the previous 5 annual services!

Conclusion: it is a difficult operation.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. After a lot of looking (and tea) I decided that the RH bank would be OK but the LH bank was a problem and so elected to drop the engine & transmission by a foot or so to get access from under the rear inner arches. Thats what I did and they are now out - only took about half an hour to drop the motor as there is enough play in the oil lines to leave pretty much everything connected. Took a bit longer to take off some of the tinware to improve access for a compression test.

The car was serviced before I bought it a few weeks ago but it seems that didn't include the plugs. Space is really limited in the 930 engine bay and I concluded that a lot of seemingly simple jobs will need the engine out. Fortunatley not much holds it in!

Cheers David