Fuel Rail Removal Help Please

Hi

I'm in the middle of removing my injectors to send them away for cleaning but I cannot get the fuel rail on either side to come off.

I have all mechanical and electrcial connections broken but the injectors seem resolutely fixed in the intakes.

Bentley tells me to carefully pull up on the fuel rail but I just can't get the injectors to budge. Feels like like could lift the back of the car on the fuel rails. :(

Is there a technique I'm missing? This is not an area for brute force!

Many thanks.

Guest Peter915

Chris,

They do pull off...but have you undone the 2x bolts holding the fuel rail to the inlet manifilds.

see photo.

IMG_0705Medium.jpg

IMG_0704Medium.jpg

Edited by Peter915

Yeah, like peter says it should just pull upwards, you have quite a bit of "wiggle" room as the injectors are held in place with an o-ring. I hoovered about arounf the holes so no crap would fall in once I pulled them out, I also used a long screwdriver as leverage on the bottong of the rail to help pull upwards. I would start at one end and get one most of the way out, then do the middle and then the last end should pull free.

The other option you have is to remove the clips that hold the injectors to the fuel rail - you can then pull the rail off the top of the injectors and then pull each injector 1 at a time.

Good luck and find some silicone lube to help get the injectors back in.

Thanks guys.

All of the bolts are out. I've applied quite a bit of force to both fuel rails but they seem stuck fast.

Am tempted to disconnect the fuel rail from the injectors so I'm then dealing with removing one at a time, but concerned about how I'm going to get a good grip on the injector without damaging it.

I can wiggle the rail and injectors quite a bit. GIven the force it looks as though I am going to have to exert I'm concerned at the potential for damage.

I'll just have to keep trying I guess.

Guest Peter915

Chris,

I'm wondering if some Basyard has'nt put some sealant on the O rings when they were last removed? The sealant has effectivly glued the O rings to the inlet?

Maybe try soaking some white spirit onto the bottom O ring, where it goes into manifold.

Peter

Ok - done it.

Removed the fuel rail from the injectors and removed each one individually - a much better technique I think.

I will never again underestimate the sealing force of an 'o' ring.

Excellent - thanks for posting how you finally managed it.

Oh yeah, if you havent already you might want to stuff some rags in the holes to stop anything crawling in there while your injectors are being serviced.