Spa '09

djf67

First time at Spa its pretty easy to get the line more or less and find your way around but finding the last 10-20% is the work of years for us trackdayers.

Definitely. It's a nice track to drive in jest, but take it too seriously as an amateur and it will either destroy you or you'll have a VERY lucky escape! I love it, our trip there was a wonderfully rich experience. Just disappointed I didn't take the pumpkin...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you come, I can get you pretty close to the line on the sighting laps and then you have 2 days to learn in an open pitlane environment. First time at Spa its pretty easy to get the line more or less and find your way around but finding the last 10-20% is the work of years for us trackdayers. Its a fast track, and unless you are very committed you will do a lifetime of trackdays and never get the fast bits right as they require true commitment, balls and a recklessness to the potential consequences. That's why its a trackday not racing for prize money.

Thanks - If I can afford it next year I will come along - I spent a day on Spa last year on a porsche club belgium trackday - it was intended to be a day's diversion on the way to the ring but at the end of the day I just wanted to spend another day driving it.

the book and dvd I was talking about are well worth getting - I boght them last year from the little motorsport shop just up the road from the circuit

Here are a few shots of it

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

As you can see he positions 911's on the track on the ideal line

There is also a dvd with the book which is taken from in the car with a commentary

Well worth putting on the Christmas list - if you can find one!

I can't find the link to the online version of the spa one but here's a link to the one of the ring - http://www.ideallinie-konzept.de/

I've got the one for the ring too - that was v expensive

Hey i wonder if we can get an invite to Spa through our friends at CAVS? They seem to have had a few Spa dates on their calender for this year, are a friendly bunch, do things better than the UK trackday peeps and might have got a super duper mates rates discount - http://www.cavs-normandie.com/pages/calendrier.php

Franck - what do you think?

PS they seem to be more about fun that profit from the days which is what I'm trying highlight.

Edited by jevvy

Same here but I would rather do a late night Friday out with weekend time on track blast back late Sunday as I struggle for time off in the week

I think they use the circuit for real racing most weekends so weekend trackdays are rare - I have never seen one.

Carlo - the Ring is easy to tack on as an extra day before or after for those inclined.

Jevvy, I have passed on your nice comments about the CAVS - you are right, they are not in to make money, just to cover the costs and ensure the club can live so usually don't put much mark up on their days.

The 2 days they did at Spa last year where with Renault for the first one and another club for the second. I am however going to float the idea with them to see how much it would cost to do a cavs day there, you never know....

FXM

Spa is on the cards for next year - simply must do this.....

Will tag along a tourist day at the ring and a night in Adneau - after all, it would be rude not to!

Waiting for all dates to be published before a decision is made, really don't want to do this in the wet!

Spa is on the cards for next year - simply must do this.....

Will tag along a tourist day at the ring and a night in Adneau - after all, it would be rude not to!

Waiting for all dates to be published before a decision is made, really don't want to do this in the wet!

Ring is mucho fun in the wet Jakey ;)

[quote name='Richard Bernau' Thats just because there is no need to panic about a June event in Dec! You won't have to close this thread JG.

Well im awaiting the out come of Le Man as to whether i do more of these!! But if riff raff are not welcome :o:P;) only joking..

Would love to do Spa and will try to make this happen in 2009. Given the unpredictable weather in the Ardennes I would definitely aim for a late June onwards event. It can still be really horrid for days on end until the middle of summer. In 1987 when the GP weekend used to be held in May I can remember waking up on a Friday morning (having slept in a Marshalls log cabin) to find a light dusting of snow on the ground!

I know the ring can be done in a Micra ( !!!!!)

are there any regs/infrastructue/bits required for SPA ?

ie I know nothing about track days - but would relish a ( moderate) blast around SPA

is that too simplistic in a " road " car ?

also would it pish too many people off ?

Kieran

Edited by Kieran T

Surely not?

Definitely not, and don't call me Shirley...

are there any regs/infrastructue/bits required for SPA ?

No, same as any other track day. Tow hook and helmet, no loose bits in the car, that's it.

Definitely not, and don't call me Shirley...

Thought this would be heaven for you JG given that it combines rear mounted air-cooled flat six motoring in a classic US motorhome kind of way :whistling:

Yes, I see the rear wheels are already displaying that "death by swingaxle" angle of positive camber.

I'll probably be driving the skunkworks six in March at the latest, bound to be f-f-f-f-f-reezing out there.

• 3 weeks later...
Autotrack days are out!

June 15th & 16th. £275 each but garage £70 a day!

So that's

Bookatrack 21st + 22nd March

Autotrack 15th + 16th June

Goldtrack 29th + 30th June

'Course, credit crunch might make cashflow the limiting factor....

March will be rain or snow

15th June is Le Mans

29th looks like a plan?

Bookatrack 21st + 22nd March

Autotrack 15th + 16th June

Goldtrack 29th + 30th June

Bookatrack 27th + 28th July - only bookable as two days and a not insubstantial £695 (or £595 for the first 30) 'beacuase of weakness of pound vs euro' - thanks Gordon :angry:

15/16 June looks good to me as its not a conflict with school hols and being a Mon/Tues, it means a quick trip down on Sunday afternoon and back Tuesday night. Its the cheapest day by far and you can always get a garage thrown in for free if you book a few spaces. Plus, its more of a Porsche day unlike the others.

:twocents: