Is it easy to remove bumpers of a 930

Guest SEE YA

Hello, all looking to remove my bumpers to clean behind them bracket's etc.

Question is it easy to do, or can it be one of those pain in the blank blank jobs?.

Thanks for any help and advice.

If they haven't been off for a while they can be a PITA to remove, mainly due to rusted studs & fasteners.

Not the sort of thing you want to do just to clean IMO!

Thanks for the reply.

If they haven't been off for a while they can be a PITA to remove, mainly due to rusted studs & fasteners.

Not the sort of thing you want to do just to clean IMO!

Definitely agree - the rear bumper is the same as any IB but at the front the lip comes up to meet the wing and there is no infill panel. The opportunity to shear studs moulded into the rubber is therefore greater and replacement is of course more expensive.

David

Definitely agree - the rear bumper is the same as any IB but at the front the lip comes up to meet the wing and there is no infill panel. The opportunity to shear studs moulded into the rubber is therefore greater and replacement is of course more expensive.

David

Thanks guys, it looked fine from the inside of the wing when I replaced the oil cooler pipes, oil cooler etc.

The whole underneath looked in very good condition, for a 20 year old car and there were no surprise rust wise.

I may just leave then, till a new full respray in two years time.I have only got, about two very small rust bubbles on the bumpers.

Edited by SEE YA

I've taken mine off this week, and although there wasn't anything difficult about it I was surprised how much buggering about there was to it.

The rear bellow near the oil tank was the hardest to deal with, as the tank itself restricts access from "inside". There's probably some super simple way of doing it that didn't occur to me, but I just ground through the rubber and metal from the outside instead going carefully until the fixings were toast. The bellows just fell off then - they're knick-knacked anyway.

Probably not worth it just to clean up underneath.

Edit: actually, is it best to get OE bellows for refitment, or are the ebay ones ~£60 for a set of four just as good does anyone know?

Edited by mean in green

I've taken mine off this week, and although there wasn't anything difficult about it I was surprised how much buggering about there was to it.

The rear bellow near the oil tank was the hardest to deal with, as the tank itself restricts access from "inside". There's probably some super simple way of doing it that didn't occur to me, but I just ground through the rubber and metal from the outside instead going carefully until the fixings were toast. The bellows just fell off then - they're knick-knacked anyway.

Probably not worth it just to clean up underneath.

Edit: actually, is it best to get OE bellows for refitment, or are the ebay ones ~£60 for a set of four just as good does anyone know?

The more expensive (OE quality) ones from ForestFine are nice Simon (the very cheap FF ones not so).

I saw a set of them up close (mate was refurbishing his rubber bits) - total crap. He junked them and went OPC.

I saw a set of them up close (mate was refurbishing his rubber bits) - total crap. He junked them and went OPC.

Agreed - but the more expensive FF ones (ie 'not' £60 for all four) are OEM quality, and cheaper too :ani_clapping:

Edited by GaryH

You don't need to strip it down at component level, you can take the bumpers off (with bellows / valence / qtr panel / spoiler lip etc as one complete assembly). I admit, you've got to be double jointed but it can be done! If it's a turbo bodied car then you still run the risk of shearing the studs in the frt. lip spoiler.

Thanks guys, it looked fine from the inside of the wing when I replaced the oil cooler pipes, oil cooler etc.

The whole underneath looked in very good condition, for a 20 year old car and there were no surprise rust wise.

I may just leave then, till a new full respray in two years time.I have only got, about two very small rust bubbles on the bumpers.

Simon not to knit pick, your car is 21 (happy birthday ;) ) nearly 22 and the bumpers are aluminium so wont be rust just good old alloy corrosion :ani_nerd:

Only 8 days to go Yippee :yahoo:

Edited by grewham

Take them off if you want to, easy enough to do. Leave the chin spoiler attached to the valance and take that off first, then bumper. You can leave the bellows attached to the infill panels and they come off easy all together. Drown the bellows 8s in Rost Off if you want to take them off.

Good to get the smile off and check for rot in the screw holes, then POR the lot before reassembly. Go for it.

Im with John on this Simon if you do replace the bellows you will be well happy with a rejuvinated car. Mines well nice with all new rubber plus you can tweak any imperfections and may be rub down and paint just your bumpers until your ready for the full paint jobby.. Gra

Im with John on this Simon if you do replace the bellows you will be well happy with a rejuvinated car. Mines well nice with all new rubber plus you can tweak any imperfections and may be rub down and paint just your bumpers until your ready for the full paint jobby.. Gra

Thanks people, I hope they all turn up for the karting next week now. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
Still in progress: I guess my "damn" moment was when one of the chin spoiler studs sheared. The "blast" moment is happening in a cabinet as I type...

I will fingers crossed for us all.

• 2 weeks later...