Short G50 Box

mrg3.6

I am toying with the idea of putting a G50 box into the 3.6SC, but I don't want to cut the torsion tube or mess with the bodywork so it would seem that the only option is to procure a shortened G50 box similiar to those produced by Patrick Motorsports http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/special/31/ .

Is there anybody in the UK that (has the necessary knowledge) and can undertake the required machining work?

Thx

Martin

the PM one is the short bellhousing conversion. I think you have to change slightly the mountings for the gearbox. I considered that but cant remember why I didnt do it.

I have modified the torsion tube then you can get a G50/00 in there. Does mean going coilover though.

You would also loose the flywheel with the notches for the TDC and speed sensors. That is bye bye to the original Motronic.

Personally if I was going to all that effort of changing the car that much to update a gearbox, I would be throwing in a six speed. :steering: And I would be keeping the torsion bars.

It is all planned in my head.

Sadly my head is about ten years infront of my bank account. :rolleyes:

the PM one is the short bellhousing conversion. I think you have to change slightly the mountings for the gearbox. I considered that but cant remember why I didnt do it.

I have modified the torsion tube then you can get a G50/00 in there. Does mean going coilover though.

I was hoping to avoid modifying the torsion tube and installing coilovers, hence the interest in the short G50.

It would seem a few people on Pelican have undertaken the necesssary machining work themselves but it would appear that this is not something for a mechanically inept person like myself, so ideally would like to track down some expertise (9m?) in the UK.

Martin

Why wouldnt you just use a g50 flywheel and keep the original sensors and original ECU?

'Cause it dont fit when you've shaved twenty odd mil. off the bellhousing.

'Cause it dont fit when you've shaved twenty odd mil. off the bellhousing.

Bugger - there goes that great idea - I will check with PM whether they have a fix to this rather significant issue

Martin

Good old Dennis's 6speed thread is probably one of your best reads if you havent already. I think its possible I think but are you sure its the best way forwards?

Can you not invest a small proportion of the cost involved in a G50 conversion into getting your 915 beefed up and fitted with an LSD(longer gears?) - I'm sure with some well placed mods and some good rebuild choices you could get the 915 running how you want it.

Pete must be able to put you off the G50 route with tales of hassle and cost!

Pete must be able to put you off the G50 route with tales of hassle and cost!

A G50 conversion goes like this:

- buy a good second hand G50/00 (the 00 is important to ensure it will fit) Price varies upto (£1,000);

- have it completely rebuilt (£900 in parts alone);

- decide if you want LSD (quaife £850);

- nibble and re-profile torsion tube;

- remove torsion bars;

- buy coilovers (RSR Bilstiens) not cheap but awesome;

- strengthen rear shock towers (cheap as chips steel plate ribs welded in place) this is the only cheap part of the conversion;

- get the geometry set upmproperly.

Is it a hassle. Not really but it does take time, alot of time. is it expensive, yes!

Im almost finished so will report back soon. Maybe next week.

...and you forgot one of the most fun bits...dealing with the pedal box and hydraulics :)

ooops.

That was fun. I tried building the leddle box from scratch. There are quite a few common components. However it turns out that some are NLA. I ended up buying second hand. Installation wasnt too bad actually. Tripe had most ogf the hydraulic lines as well as master cylinder. I just bought a new slave cylinder.

When I installed the brakes, I thought ahead and installed a turbo master cyclinder but mounted a dual brake/clutch fluid resevoir and fed the clucth fluid hose down to the peddle box area and capped it off for a later date.

Then comes all the gear change linkeage.......bummer to get in and out.

I have shortened a G50 to fit in a LWB early car and the machining work on the bellhousing isn't too bad but you need to make up some aluminium spacers to weld into the bellhhousing before the final skim to pocket the bolts that fit up to the engine flange.

Machining the input shaft isn't too bad. You will need a flywheel with the correct configuration and a suitable clutch. Tranny Mount will need to be modified and you will also need a complete G50 gearchange console.

The springs for gear selection are part of the G50 box and will 'fight' if you try to use a 915 Gear Tower.

You can keep the cable clutch but there is quiet a long list of parts that are needed to sort it all out.

If you cut the tube and use coil overs you will need spring perches and the like and these will vary depending on the age of you shell. We have made 'Upside down' rear coil overs to fit early (pre 69) shells and these bolt right in and we have used them on a 3.6 conversion which used a standard length G50.

I do have a complete parts list of all the bits and pieces needed.

Edited by swb911