3.2 Club Sports

Anyone on IB ever owned or driven a clubsport?..

Not sure what the major differences are, other than a bit lighter.

I know they didnt make many, maybe only 50 or so mainly In white, and minus radio/elec windows/rear seats.

Are they hyped up or are they better from a driving point of view than the standard 3.2?...for road use!

Ta Steve

Never owned one but have driven a couple over the years. It's a very focused example of the 3.2, but not as compromised as say....a 964 RS. Standard equipment includes a short shift gear linkage which makes the G50 box even sweeter than normal. No rear seats, ( carpeted storage boxes instead ) standard front seat bases with Sport back rests, wind up windows, no Sun Roof, no Head Lamp Wash, No Bidet, etc, etc. Becoming quite rare now and nearly all were GP White. Wonderful cars ! Buy one if you can find one !

Cant believe Ive just finished reading an article from Porsche World (Sept 2004) entitled Club Class. If I ever sold the 930 and was in a position to buy one I certainly would.

Really good examples have risen in value over the last few years and I suspect the current downturn hasn't had to much of a negative affect on prices or has it? Not seen any really good ones for sale for some time so cant compare.

Edited by Digger

Standard equipment includes a short shift gear linkage which makes the G50 box even sweeter than normal.

From memory, when I looked into this it seems this was basically the standard gear knob cut down by about an inch

Anyone on IB ever owned or driven a clubsport?..

Not sure what the major differences are, other than a bit lighter.

I know they didnt make many, maybe only 50 or so mainly In white, and minus radio/elec windows/rear seats.

Are they hyped up or are they better from a driving point of view than the standard 3.2?...for road use!

Ta Steve

Steve,

I have owned one for the last 5 years and loved every minute of it. There were 52 bought into the Uk and I think they all still survive to this day. Some have been set up for more track work and have the smaller 15 inch wheels whereas the majority have 16's.

They are only a little bit lighter and they left the factory with a blue printed engine which gave a higher rev limit and slightly higher HP. On a dyno last year mine had 249.7HP with only a subtle engine remap. They do handle very well and as there is little in the way of soundproofing you can here everything. I have driven a standard 3.2 and there is definately a difference but you can easliy replicate the feel by doing exactly what a lot of the members on here do and start to strip the weight and upgrade the suspension. They are not compromised for road use and mine regularly goes to the office and back several times a week.

Regards

Alan

I have the original spec sheet which was just a photo-copied sheet from Porsche GB.

911 Carrera Coupe in 'Club Sport Version' (M637)

Base Model: 911 Carrera Coupe

Exterior colours: Grand Prix White / red decals / red wheel centres

Interiors: all standard interiors, (leather front and rear seats) there is a lot of stuff tipexed out here, so the available interior is a bit unclear.

Order codes: M637 - club sport version

+ M541 - radio preparation (2 speakers & antenna amp)

+ P42 - Group number comprising:

Shortened gear lever (M243)

Sports shock absorbers (M474)

Front and rear spoilers (M473)

Rear storage box in place of seats (M419)

6 and 7J x 16 forged alloy wheels (M395)

All other M-options can be ordered with the exception of the following:

M058 M438 M139 M454 M197 M491 M286 M498 (STD) M288 M513 M326 M525 M340 M526 M341 M533 M383 M559 M387 M586 M425 M650 M430 M975 M437

Body: deletion of:

1. rear seats

2. back & sidewall trim

3. sound insulation(except for engine comp and roof section)

4. PVC undercoating

5. Additional blower with cover and control knob

6. Automatic heating control

7. lockable front hood

8. sunvisor, passenger side

9. lid of storage compartment in doors

10. activated carbon container

11. coat hook

12. Carrera lettering

Deviating from standard version

1. Manual window levers

2. front spoiler w/out opening for fog lights

3. rear section covered with carpeting

4. sidewalls, front, covering with carpet

5. new combination seats (base cushion and sports seat backrest) w/out electrical height adj, in cloth or cloth/leatherette only

6. manual heating levers behind handbrake lever on right

7. separate chassis number as of 14th digit (number starting with 5001)

Chassis

Deviating from std Carrera Sport

1. w/out lockable wheel nuts

2. Alu spare wheel

3. engine mount, same as 911 Carrera Cab.

Engine:

Deviating from std version

1. intake valves (hollow valves)

2. Electronic control unit for 6840 RPM mac

3. Crankcae and cylinder heads with 'SP' marking

Electrical system

deletion of

1. fog lights, front

2. engine and luggage comp lights

3. radio prep (except cables)

Deviating fron standard version:

1. rev counter with modified 'red line' section

2. simpilfied cable harness

3. starter cable with reduced diameter

Homologation

1. registered as 2 seater

2. unladen weight 1,160 Kg

I have owned one for the last 5 years and loved every minute of it. They are not compromised for road use and mine regularly goes to the office and back several times a week.

The perfect IB owner mate! ;)

There were 52 bought into the Uk and I think they all still survive to this day.

The one that rolled at Hawthorn Bend at Brands GP last year nearly didn't :o

Edited by GaryH

I think my buddy Steve D is still selling his. Must be one of the best out there.

Mailed him just in time to catch his birthday.

Apparently the car is undergoing inspection for bidder 1 at present with bidder number 2 in the wings, cash at the ready.

Bids are at and above the asking price - anyone thinking the market is collapsing better think again...

I have the original spec sheet which was just a photo-copied sheet from Porsche GB.

911 Carrera Coupe in 'Club Sport Version' (M637)

Base Model: 911 Carrera Coupe

. . .

Deviating fron standard version:

. . .

3. starter cable with reduced diameter

So, I am wondering if dues-paid members of the Church of the LIghtweight can get a group buy on this nifty little item. It must save at least as much as the clock delete - 6 ounces. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what to look for to make sure you are looking at the "real deal" when viewing. I would think a good few standard 3.2s have been taken down the club sport road. I know things like the vent openings are manual levers, no sunroof etc, but waht about chassis/engine numbers?.. Any special pre-fix or suffix?. Just want to be sure If I look at one, I am eer looking at one and not a standard 3.2 In drag!.. Any help would be great. Thanks Steve

Mailed him just in time to catch his birthday.

Apparently the car is undergoing inspection for bidder 1 at present with bidder number 2 in the wings, cash at the ready.

Bids are at and above the asking price - anyone thinking the market is collapsing better think again...

I am not doubting that there are bidders as Steve says, but that car has been for sale for ages and a couple of CS's have had asking prices in the sensible money area (ie., in the 20s, though the stratoshere miles car was one of those) in the meantime. One (currently unsold) car does not a market make.

Of course a CS demands a preium over a 3.2, no dispute there, but the amount of time that CS owners spend talking up the value and talking up how good the cars are is tiresome. Objectively, its just a 3.2 with a few deletes. Its a lot easier to replicate than a 2.7RS or a 964RS and that, IMHO is what means it will never command a huge premium over a 3.2. Of course prices will have a bell curve distribution, so good luck to Steve getting out on the end of the bell curve.

I think the numbers are healthy on these. Whatever about easy to replicate, there are precious few, few again in mint condition like C5 and very few for sale. Lots of interest in classics as the deposit rate is so screwed. Low supply of RHD cars with relatively high demand across the planet means decent prices.

End of the day we are talking £35K and not £150,000 or more for the '73 RSs. I think there is a good market for stuff like this versus say a 997 Turbo that is gonna dump the cost of a CS in depreciation over the first 12 to 18 months.

CS owners spend talking up the value and talking up how good the cars are is tiresome. .

Sorry to be so boring :D

At the end of the day if you want to go faster you would be better spending money on a hot rod than a clubsport. The clubsport will remain depreciation proof and will cost very little to run.

Objectively, its just a 3.2 with a few deletes.

Exactly what a lot of people thought back in the late '80s when they were introduced (not meant as a value judgement, just what I recall from the time). Nice cars though!

I wasn't thinking of you.

;) I know only having a laugh.

As an ex Banker wots it like out there at the moment. I get hastle going in my local pub and its 5 years since I left.

Does anyone know what to look for to make sure you are looking at the "real deal" when viewing. I would think a good few standard 3.2s have been taken down the club sport road. I know things like the vent openings are manual levers, no sunroof etc, but waht about chassis/engine numbers?.. Any special pre-fix or suffix?. Just want to be sure If I look at one, I am eer looking at one and not a standard 3.2 In drag!.. Any help would be great. Thanks Steve

Hi there. If you are looking for a "sure fire" way to check to see if you have a genuine CS there are a few pointers that whilst not impossible to copy, would be rather tough om the would be converter.

• Engine mounts. The CS used the much stiffer cabriolet mounts - suffix "xxxx007" - just look into the engine bay and take a look
  • Engine - the CS has a Porsche Blueprinted engine and sodium filled exhaust valves to cope with the higher RPM. Look for "SP" on the block
  • Single interior passenger visor.
  • V5 document. The CS was homologated as a 2 seater car and whilst it is possible (£) to retrofit the rear seat belts, it's unlikely that anyone doing this would consider re-homologating.
  • Simplified wiring harness - again, you just have to know where to look... but the lack of foglights, heated / electrical anything allowed Porsche to reduce the no of cables in the loom (so.. they didn't just junk the foglights, but went a little further)

Hope this helps !

Steve

Thanks everyone for help and advise.Ive checked out my car and It all stacks up to be a pucka car. I had the numbers crossed checked with the owners club also. Very happy with the outcome and just wanting to enjoy now and play with and improve In my own fussy way!..

John, Did the car they were queing upto to buy find a new home?.. Guess If someones paid for PDI,S etc Its a easy done deal. It sounded very special!..

Thanks everyone for help and advise.Ive checked out my car and It all stacks up to be a pucka car. I had the numbers crossed checked with the owners club also. Very happy with the outcome and just wanting to enjoy now and play with and improve In my own fussy way!..

John, Did the car they were queing upto to buy find a new home?.. Guess If someones paid for PDI,S etc Its a easy done deal. It sounded very special!..

how about some pictures ? I like pictures

how about some pictures ? I like pictures

For sure Mr Perkles..I will sort some next week. I need to try and get Into the swing of the pickie thing, I did post a couple of my 930 once but Ive forgot how to do It!..Ludite and all that.