Tea Boy's Massive Rod

I have always aspired to be in gruppe IB, but never thought my car qualified.

I still think that it has a long way to go before I consider it to be a 'proper' hot rod, but as time and finances allow it will head in that direction.

This is what it is, an 1986 3.2.

Picture001Medium.jpg

So far I have got a few WEVO bits on. Shifter, mounts, gateshift, arb mounts.

pictures178Medium.jpg

I have got the lightweight bug, to an extent. Lightweight door cards, windey windows, rear seat delete, lightweight carpets (thanks Gary)

And these seats

S7301036.jpg

Which eventually will be draped in a bit of this

pictures239Medium.jpg

I have got lots of plans, so I suppose I should report them here as they happen.

First installment starts after I have had a cup of tea.

I have been fancying a 993 wiper conversion for a while now and when a motor came up reasonably priced c/w arms I picked it up.

Option one would be transplanting a 993 scuttle panel and did 'phone a couple of places but did not find one.

So the other evening I went for option two.

Step one, whip out the 'screen. This was surprisingly easy.

S7301070.jpg

Remove the bonnet, heater box and wiper motor.

S7301071.jpg

Measure it all up

S7301073.jpg

Then go in with the grinder.

S7301074.jpg

These holes will need filling in.

S7301078.jpg

The pressings for the wiper spindles need hole centres of 120mm

S7301075.jpg

Then they need to go back on the scuttle.

S7301080.jpg

They are just resting in place at the moment. I would have liked to have these welded in by now, but I have no gas for the TIG.

I am currently pondering wiring diagrams, as the 993 motor has a six pin plug, the 911 one has a five pin :rolleyes:

Oh well, too late to go back now.

you will always be Hot to me TB :morning:

I feel the same about you. :blush: I want to join cat. P next ;)

That material looks very familiar, courtesy of the other side of the world???? ;)

Yes, thanks to you, Dan ;)

Edited by tea boy

Anyone who drives comfortably (well, all is relative) with a 5 bladed c3 fan retrofitted to a 3.2 is a bit of a hero. And then he does the things that everyone says it can't be done!

Well done on an challenging project like putting 993 wipers in, Mark! And then the pasha fabrik :wub: on the sports seats.... O man!

Looking forward to the updates.

Bert

Why the 933 wipers? What is it about them that you like?

According to Paul Frere, 'the blades make better contact with the glass and a large part of the wiped area is common to both blades, so that at each stroke the common area is wiped twice.'

Personally I just thought it would be a cool thing to do, ;) and as I am having a new wing on courtesy of my decorator's insurance I thought now would be the time to sort the other little bodywork projects that I had in mind. This is just part one. :D

Plum products eh TB what do they supply ;)

ps the Pascha seats will look the Schnizle :D

Plum supplied Mrs Tea's rubber nazi stormtrooper outfit.

With the Pascha I am thinking of just having the cushions done, and not the headrest as it would have been if I did them Porsche stylee.

That way, if I find some nice tartan, for instance, then I could just swap the cushions as they are only secured with velcro. (same as the stormtrooper's outfit as it happens ;) )

Plum supplied Mrs Tea's rubber nazi stormtrooper outfit.

With the Pascha I am thinking of just having the cushions done, and not the headrest as it would have been if I did them Porsche stylee.

That way, if I find some nice tartan, for instance, then I could just swap the cushions as they are only secured with velcro. (same as the stormtrooper's outfit as it happens ;) )

thats what ive done with my just the cushions ,you can take them out easy to clean and it looks good

Now lightweight tartan door cards and matching cushions mmm nice

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had much time to go in the shed of late so things are moving very slowly.

I welded the new bits in, and the old bits into their new positions.

S7301084.jpg

The whole lot sank along the front weld line by about 10mm which, ordinarily would not have been a major disaster, but because the heater air intake is under there it has made bumping it back up a proper PITA. I can just about get the hook dollie in there, but it is still tight. It also sank around the back of the spindle holes so I have slit it open again and levered it back up. I will re weld that bit with the MIG.

I am going to tap it up a bit more yet because I want to use the minimum amount of lead in there. Lightweight and all that :D