Tea Boy's Massive Rod

do you use a mig or tig TB ?

This was TIG which gives you a bit of a chance to tap it back into shape, as the weld is reasonably soft. Gas is even better for this but I did not want to risk burning the air inlet underneath. The MIG produces rock hard welds which you cannot do much with except grind them down. I will fill that large slit with the MIG because it is much easier to fill large gaps like that.

I got a couple of hours in the shed this afternoon.

I tapped the scuttle up a bit more and it is almost ready for the lead.

S7301086.jpg

I have decided to do this,

S7301088.jpg

There is a stiffener under the mirror mount, I decided to replace it with one without the holes. I did this because I am unsure what I am going to do for mirrors, but this will give me a reinforced area should I wish to fit one on here.

S7301085.jpg

Welded up the holes on the passenger's side. Might do the driver's side tomorrow.

S7301087.jpg

I can then lead all three bits at the same time.

Anyone got any suggestions for mirrors?

Tea, where has your screen pillar gone in pic 1? Looks like a Speedster with the windscreen off.

Luckily it has returned in pic 2 :D

Got a set of 993 mirrors on the shelf mate, if you fancy a bit more 993 on the car ;)

They are a bit too modern for an old fashioned bloke like me, OJ.

I have been thinking about these Vitaloni California, but I'm blowing hot and cold with them at the moment.

RDM1L%20Product.jpg

But there are some BMW type ones I think which looked like the '74 mirrors, anyone know what they were from and where one might get some?

5108.JPG

That looks good. Are these the ones they fitted onto the 934?

1976%20porsche%20934%20f.jpg

Not sure how the flat bottom would go onto the door, but there would be something you could do.

I have been thinking of a sunroof delete for some time, but it has proven impossible to find a s/h non-sun, roof skin. New is out of the question at over fifteen hundred quid.

I looked at getting a piece wheeled up to the correct profile that I could weld in, but the bloke I tried (Barry off DDK) is booked up until the world's oil supplies run out. Also the price he quoted me, though very reasonable, was the sort of cash I would expect to have to give for a complete s/h skin.

I have heard that people have used bits of roof from other types of vehicle, which would be a cost effective way of doing it and more in tune with my budget, so I decided to explore that avenue. I have been looking at passing cars for weeks, thinking 'would that fit?'

Then, in a 'moment of clarity' I realised what sort of car would have the right shaped roof for me to make my patch from........

Yes you guessed it, a Porsche 911! This is the back half of a sunroof type roof skin for which I was forced to part with twenty quid.

S7301090.jpg

Chopped out all the sunroof cartridge and drip rails

S7301093.jpg

Deburred the edges and dropped it on.

S7301094.jpg

Looks like I might be onto a winner with it ;)

Edited by tea boy

S7301094.jpg

Looks like I might be onto a winner with it ;)

Good work Tea. Either that or you've just created the world's biggest removable sunroof :)

Edited by GaryH

Yes you guessed it, a Porsche 911! This is the back half of a sunroof type roof skin for which I was forced to part with twenty quid.

I ask myself if is this to become the most pillaged shell on IB?!

(Edit: meaning the donor vehicle as opposed to the Teamobile...)

Edited by mean in green

great idea to wait until the summer to do all these big jobs! :D

Well my timing could have been better :rolleyes: but it is a bit warmer in the shed this time of year, though.

Now, my car being a 3.2 has the indicator repeaters on the front wings. These look like they have just been stuck on, I suppose that is because they were.

I don't mind them, but they could be neater. I don't like those oval aftermarket type things that you can get, so I thought it might be nice if i could somehow recess the original ones into the wing to make them smoother. It would make them look like they were meant to be there.

I have been thinking that I might make a tool to form a piece with and then weld it in to the wing.

However, whilst I was getting that bit of roof I saw these.

S7301091.jpg

They are sections from 944 wings which just happened to use the same repeater, and they were recessed. The chap did not charge me for them too.

S7301095.jpg

It does mean that I will have to take an angle grinder to a brand new and very expensive front wing. :o

I have welded up the holes for the driver's side mirror. Just needs a tiny skim of lead now.

S7301089.jpg

I have been struggling with the front scuttle. Because it is difficult to get a dollie up below it I have not been able to get it as smooth as I would like.

S7301086.jpg

I would say it is about 90% there, but that is still 10% shy of what I am aiming for so...

I have got this in the back of my van ;)

S7301092.jpg

I bought the 993 scuttle, but they could not be bothered to cut it out so they gave me the complete baulkhead section for the same money. Handily it has lots of the loom on it complete with the plug for the 993 wiper motor, which is different to the 911 one.

I really need to get my arrrr5e into gear now and get some work done.

How will you fit the roof section Mark? scribe round your new metal and cut the old one out - I'm keen to know. Keep the pictures coming

Plan is to trim the new bit to size and complete any final bits of fettling. Then as you said, scribe around it and cut the old roof out. I want to get the patch as near to a perfect fit into the hole as possible so that I can just 'run it in' with the TIG without the need for any filler rod. I do not like the Idea of swaged edges and overlapping joints. I just isn't proper, is it?

Once I get into the roof with the grinder, it will be sh!t or bust, that is for sure. :o

I might do the wings 'n' things first to build myself up to it. :D

TB you nutter :signs118:

:lol: