Tea Boy's Massive Rod

You've either got very small hands or a very big tool :)

Big tools...

brilliant! Going to read through hardening and tempering later on when I get a chance.

Hardened...

Theres a jeremy beadle joke along those lines :)

It must be a joke!

Tonight I did a bit more machining.

This bit is the 964 oil filter console.

131Drril.jpg

It is fitted to the inner wing in the engine bay with these studs.

B4kLWlHl.jpg

They go in here. (screwed all the way in, obviously)

nFOGZ2Nl.jpg

They have rubber bushes and a washer and nut.

The nuts tend to seize into the studs.

When you go to a Porsche breaker for one of these, the monkey that removed it unscrewed it and found that the nuts were seized, so the stud unscrewed from the console.

Instead of fitting the studs back in once it was removed, said monkey just chucked them away.

These things are not available as a spare part, so I was forced to make some.

TVLf43Fl.jpg

I also completed the machining on the base of the filler tube.

b7oJ8ncl.jpg

This bit screws into the bit which fits in the top of the tank.

I2s6zIjl.jpg

Then the tube will be fitted in like this.

yU7srwFl.jpg

The tube will extend down inside well beyond the threaded joint, removing the need for a seal.

vJhXCBpl.jpg

Flushed with the success of all this I shortened the filler cap receiver.

9gfrsWUl.jpg

The parting tool dug in and spat it out of the chuck.

Oh dear! I may not have said...

Anyone got a scrap 911 tank going cheap?

Bad luck there v..... annoying :banghead: , too thin and flexi for the chuck possibly , one of those thing where after you probably thought I new I should done it differently . V easy to say that in hind site though . Looking forward to the engine build . Good work .

Bad luck there v..... annoying :banghead: , too thin and flexi for the chuck possibly , one of those thing where after you probably thought I new I should done it differently . V easy to say that in hind site though . Looking forward to the engine build . Good work .

You are right Henry, I should have cut it off with the grinder then carefully faced it up.

What a p!sser

Yes, I thought so too...

Meanwhile...

When I mocked the cap up into place it became apparent that I had welded the top of the tank on ad a slightly different angle to the bottom of the filler bucket.

DCbOIwkl.jpg

I did, briefly, consider cutting the top off the tank and starting again, but when I mocked the cap up with the seal in place it didn't look too bad at all.

khOc6jql.jpg

I can live with that.

In the post above, I tried to convince myself that I would not mind the filler cap being at the wrong angle...

Today I faced up to the inevitability of my OCD and cut the top off of the tank.

qKIE9ZZl.jpg

The back end of it needs to be about 10mm higher, so I cut a strip of metal and welded it on.

Z5WsXKal.jpg

Then started to replace the bit I cut off.

gnwIRngl.jpg

Because the tank tapers towards the top the removed section was too long, so I cut it in half and will do one side at a time, and shorten it to suit.

I got one half done, hopefully the other half will go on tomorrow.

Then I need to modify the front to match.

I needed something to do whilst I wait for another filler neck.

Going out now for a carvery with Mrs tea and the in-laws.

• 2 weeks later...

The other day, I got a phone call from my mate Nigel saying that my new billet machined diff cover had arrived from California Motorsports.

It doesn't have the hole in it for the speed sensor, he told me.

Turns out that they had sent me the 993 type cover for my 993 gearbox, not the earlier G50 type which is what I wanted.

One of these.

apmIXW5l.jpg

Oh bum!

So when I got home from work I emailed Roger at CMS explaining the situation.

He apologised for the error and said he would send another and a return label for the wrong one.

Within an hour I had an email from fedex with tracking details and within three days I had this.

1gwuM3El.jpg

Which has the all important fitting for the speed sensor. (sorry about my dirty thumb, I should have put some black rubber gloves on) :D

khpBTl7l.jpg

Anyone can make a mistake, it's how they sort it out that matters and Roger Brown at California Motorsports gets a 20 out of 10 for customer service from me.

• 1 month later...

Well I am totally fed up with the oil tank so I have put it to one side for a bit.

My daily driver has developed a massive hole in the sill, which I could really have done without, so I need to sort that.

In the meantime, I have just ordered a million pounds worth of bits to rebuild my 993 engine.

Just need to get my yoke back from Mr Tripe.

Are you out there Jezza?

Quite right - a change is as good as a rest

Cheers Mark.

I'm not doing anything on it at the moment but it doesn't mean I've forgotten about it.

I got this today.

0A1wmWul.jpg

So much nicer than a Z block.

• 9 months later...

Hello there chaps.

This is my annual lack of progress report.

Things are moving at a glacial pace and to be honest I am starting to become totally hacked off with it.

My tiny single garage is falling down around my ears and I am finding it very difficult to motivate myself to go in there.

Actually, the garage is so rammed with stuff that it is almost impossible to set foot inside it anyway.

If I do do anything it has to be done outside under the garage door, on a black and decker workmate, so all I can really manage is bits and bobs, and that is also very much limited by the weather too.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I still love working on my car and I still have my vision of my perfect 911 and want to build it, it's just that in my current situation I am not enjoying it at all.

I need a major rethink.

After discussing it with Mrs Tea, I have decided that I need to go cap in hand to the mortgage people to borrow some dough to build a bigger shed.

It just isn't going to get done otherwise.

My daughter said that this is all rubbish and that I am just a lazy fat b**tard.

Maybe she's right. :D

After discussing it with Mrs Tea, I have decided that I need to go cap in hand to the mortgage people to borrow some dough to build a bigger shed.

It just isn't going to get done otherwise.

My daughter said that this is all rubbish and that I am just a lazy fat b**tard.

Maybe she's right. :D

Chin up lad, you're obviously not fat :lol:

ps Make sure it's a double garage ;) You need somewhere proper to wield those formidable talents!

Edited by GaryH

I hear you T.

I spent half the afternoon tripping over cr4p in my little garage and haven't really done much in the past couple of months as it's disheartening when these projects stay static for long periods of time. You just need to kickstart the enthusiasm somehow. Also, don't start too many jobs and half finish them.

All worth it in the end bud :cool:

Watch out for burnout guys, its not easy juggling work, home life & a big project even if it is a hobby. I have had a few burnouts over the past 20 years and it can take months or years to get back to norm. Lack of enthusiasm & procrastination can be signs of burnout so maybe good to take a proper break from the project.

Single garage? when I were a lad I could only dream of owning a single garage! I used to work in filthy ditch with a bit of cardboard over me. You don't know you're born!

New garage is the answer - will add to the house value as well, and make your knob two inches longer apparently.

Having a reasonable space in which to work makes all the difference in the world

What about renting some storage for a few months for all the crap to give you some space to think and work? Much cheaper and quicker than a double garage and might get the ball rolling enough to re ignite your enthusiasm!

Haway Tea find some mojo, have you looked under the fridge?