1988 Clubsport 3.2

Now that looks cracking.

What's it like on the road - noise wise I mean?

I bet the engine sounds like it's in there with you - great. :unsure:

Ear muffs at the ready and foot down. ;)

Regards

Jammo.

Its not anything like as bad as I thought It would be Jammo, plenty of Induction noise though. The exhaust was made by some Suburu racing team at or near Silverstone, Its a twisty turney system of equal lenghs that sounds bloody fantastic.

John, The Black dots are I think little rubber grommets or stick on rubber washers?.. Ive not looked at them properly but I will do and let you know. Drainage?. Not even sure If they are holes to be honest. Ile check this week.

There's loads of stuff I would change there mate, I'd probably lift it up a bit as a starter for 10.

Looking forward to seeing what direction you go with it. Great to see pics!

Looks great Steve well done with the photos mate :cool:

Will be interesting to see just how much lighter you can get it, what is the starting weights as is. I presume this is a lead up to you tracking the car at events this year?

I saw that car at LM about 6-7 years ago and checked out the exhaust as it did/does sound amazing. Owner told me about the rally team making the exhaust. Followed the owner on the Friday around the circuit. racing down Mulsanne etc - as you did in those days. The car was then stripped with carbon doors, race seats etc and the owner said it made 250hp on the dyno. Top car.

I saw that car at LM about 6-7 years ago and checked out the exhaust as it did/does sound amazing. Owner told me about the rally team making the exhaust. Followed the owner on the Friday around the circuit. racing down Mulsanne etc - as you did in those days. The car was then stripped with carbon doors, race seats etc and the owner said it made 250hp on the dyno. Top car.

Thats Interested to know that the car was/Is making 250bhp, maybe the Exhaust plays a part In that?. Did He mention anything else that you can recall?. I think the guy that owned It around that time was called Mark. I really like the Idea of finding things out about a cars past life, what and where Its been etc.

The car Is still In the Interior trim you mentioned, and looks really very good even now. It would be a shame to cover all the nice Interior paintwork as Its so pleasing on the eye.

The question Is where to go with the car..I think I will run It for the summer maybe drop It on the dyno to check the power also see If It burns any oil and take It from that point. Always room to Improve the running gear I think. The dampers look new-ish Yellow Bilsteins rear, and I have the original front Inserts with the car so I guess the fronts are uprated. Time to enjoy In spring and summer and take stock and plan for winter Improvements. I think It always makes sence to put a few k miles on and own a car for maybe half a year before diving In. I just cant believe how different the car Is to my 3.2, above 4k or so rpm upto about 6500 the car just seems to jump onto another cam, a bit like the (dare I say It) Celica/Elise Toyota motor does. Very Impressed though. Cheers Steve

Thats Interested to know that the car was/Is making 250bhp, maybe the Exhaust plays a part In that?. Did He mention anything else that you can recall?. I think the guy that owned It around that time was called Mark. I really like the Idea of finding things out about a cars past life, what and where Its been etc.

The car Is still In the Interior trim you mentioned, and looks really very good even now. It would be a shame to cover all the nice Interior paintwork as Its so pleasing on the eye.

The question Is where to go with the car..I think I will run It for the summer maybe drop It on the dyno to check the power also see If It burns any oil and take It from that point. Always room to Improve the running gear I think. The dampers look new-ish Yellow Bilsteins rear, and I have the original front Inserts with the car so I guess the fronts are uprated. Time to enjoy In spring and summer and take stock and plan for winter Improvements. I think It always makes sence to put a few k miles on and own a car for maybe half a year before diving In. I just cant believe how different the car Is to my 3.2, above 4k or so rpm upto about 6500 the car just seems to jump onto another cam, a bit like the (dare I say It) Celica/Elise Toyota motor does. Very Impressed though. Cheers Steve

Yes, it was definitely Mark I talked to at LM. I don't recall a lot more other than it running on PZeroCs and having an LSD. I think he said he was using it for time trials or hill climbs. We did stop under a bridge and Mark revved its nuts off and then slipped the clutch at about 6k. I don't think the car had a quiet life. After talking with Mark, we guessed it weighed 200kg less than mine and had another 20+bhp. My car was dead std bar Bilsteins and 7/9s then. From the bridge, we did a zero to about 90mph run and while your car gapped me it wasn't quite as bad as I feared - after all, fundamentally, they are both 3.2 Carreras.

Your car should come on cam at 4k rpm if its got std cams. Depending on the cam timing, the coming on cam effect is somewhat more or less, but all 3.2s have a pronounced cam effect. There is every chance your car has a light flywheel or clutch/pressure plate. I can't recall but Mark may have said it had some special clutch. It will help it rev and change the character, plus being a light car, and there you have it.

Yes, it was definitely Mark I talked to at LM. I don't recall a lot more other than it running on PZeroCs and having an LSD. I think he said he was using it for time trials or hill climbs. We did stop under a bridge and Mark revved its nuts off and then slipped the clutch at about 6k. I don't think the car had a quiet life. After talking with Mark, we guessed it weighed 200kg less than mine and had another 20+bhp. My car was dead std bar Bilsteins and 7/9s then. From the bridge, we did a zero to about 90mph run and while your car gapped me it wasn't quite as bad as I feared - after all, fundamentally, they are both 3.2 Carreras.

Your car should come on cam at 4k rpm if its got std cams. Depending on the cam timing, the coming on cam effect is somewhat more or less, but all 3.2s have a pronounced cam effect. There is every chance your car has a light flywheel or clutch/pressure plate. I can't recall but Mark may have said it had some special clutch. It will help it rev and change the character, plus being a light car, and there you have it.

Hi Steve - Top Car. (I would say that wouldn't I....) One of the prior owners was Mark Mathews and I recall him sending me piccies of the car many years ago just after he'd had it converted to track condition. He even remarked that somewhere in the pedal box, he'd had something gold plated - "just because he could".

If you are interested to learn something more about the car, then I've got some information on file somewhere, so PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Steve

PS - is your car on the register ?

He even remarked that somewhere in the pedal box, he'd had something gold plated - "just because he could".

Ah, that is that car is it. Last owner didn't have it long then - two years maybe?

Ah, that is that car is it. Last owner didn't have it long then - two years maybe?

Yeap think the last owner was a couple of years or so with minimal useage hence the sale. It was Mark that did all the work and used the car for hillclimbs/time trials. The car (according to all the mots) has only done around 8k In the last ten years, but given It was only used In competition mainly, that would maybe make sence. It would be good to find out a little more over time perhaps.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Hi Steve - Top Car. (I would say that wouldn't I....) One of the prior owners was Mark Mathews and I recall him sending me piccies of the car many years ago just after he'd had it converted to track condition. He even remarked that somewhere in the pedal box, he'd had something gold plated - "just because he could".

If you are interested to learn something more about the car, then I've got some information on file somewhere, so PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Steve

PS - is your car on the register ?

wow had to do a double take i have recently bought F61 WOV... and yep it's an 88 clubby!!!!