Running / Starting Problems 1982 3.0 SC

Guest Grifonicus

Guest Grifonicus

Hi,

Looking for a little help, advice.

Picked up my car at the weekend from the Bodyshop. Looking great.

Take her to another garage to get serviced / MOT'd. (Yesterday)

Starts, Runs, Drives beautifully. (got petrol etc. so started it and moved her a few times with no problems.)

Get a call from the garage in the afternoon, How do I get her started, as it will not start.

I go up to the garage to assist. I cannot hear the hum from the engine bay and it cranks over but doesn't fire up.

Occassionly I try and it fires up for a second or two.

A few hours later the car got started, but was running extremely badly. They moved it this morning and the same.

I have just picked up a fuel pump relay from Paragon, so will put that in. As the existing one looked a little suspect.

I had starting problems last year, so fitted a high torque starter, and eventually had to bypass the immobiliser so the starter had the original direct feed from the battery and all was well.

Is this sounding like immobiliser haunting me again. Not sure it that would explain the poor running.

I will try and get more symptons in a little while.

Any advice would be great.

Mark

Pull the fuel pump fuse out and compare it to a new one - is it shorter? Has it melted a little bit? Normally they work or not, but they do get hot and shorten as the pumps get old.

Check all the connections on the back of the ignition switch and in the firewall are solidly pushed home.

Check the connection at the base of the CDI ignition pack in the engine bay - make sure no corrosion/disintegrating wiring. Just pull the 6-pin connector off and have a good look at it.

What about the plug leads - how old are they? Vacuum leaks could also be playing a part.

You got some fun ahead of you, but it's bound to be something simple.

Guest Grifonicus

Thanks John, for Reply.

I have just been to the Garage. They have put the relay in and I started her no problem and it seems to be running fine.

Where I did have a obvious hum (fuel pump) on start up, that is not there now? seems odd.

Should there be a humming noise when the ignition is on? Ever since I have had the car it has been there?

Mark