3.0 SC Engine for sale

rhd racer

Hi all

A fairly infrequent visitor I'm afraid, but I am a strong advocate of your engines in my sprint / hillclimb 914/6.

Due to an unexpected weak moment involving red wine and ebay, I have bought a new race car project (Boxster) and retired the 914 to a more sedate life! It therefore seems the sensible thing to do to move on my old spare engine.

It is a 9 series 188bhp 3.0 engine of c1979/80 vintage. I bought this after suffering an engine failure on a track day, and ran it for one season, adding only 250 miles to the 500 or so running in miles by the prior owner. One of your members, an enthusiastic amateur engineer, advertised it on here and I purchased it. The bottom end was not touched, but had rings, and head work (new exhaust valves, 2 inlet valves, light skim, guides etc). The head work cost £900, and various other receipt show £400 or so of additional OPC parts. Naturally, snapped head studs were machined out and replaced with OE Dilivar ones. I have rocker covers. Unfortunately the strains of motorsport found the weakest point - the good thing was noticing immediately to prevent major damage.

Prior to that, it ran clean and very strong - on carbs Bob Watson dyno'd at 209bhp, and was enough to lead the sprint championship all year from the very start, until it developed a noise at the top bend at Curborough. I heard the pitch change mid corner and coasted in...

In the pits, we ran at tickover and detemined it was a bottom end noise (suspect a bearing) using a screwdriver on the case. So, once home I pulled the engine and put in my old unit (now rebuilt) which sits in the car today. The 8 rounds I completed were still enough for 3rd place overall, and a class win for the year. It has sat under my workbench since.

With my planned Sunday jaunts in the 914 unlikely to put the kind of revs or stresses through my current unit, I want to pass this on to put into the new project. It is a good basis for a power upgrade for an earlier car, or hot rod build. Given SCs are barely being broken, they are getting hard to find, and the current complete engine values eye watering.

So - it is a bare (long block) with a good top end and we assume in need of a bearing set and possible crank grind.

Asking, I think, a reasonable £1800. Can scan and e-mail the invoices, but contain receipts from the previous owner so don't want to post up.

I am in the East Midlands, just south of Newark - collection preferred.

Depending on where you are, I may be able to arrange to deliver at reasonable cost - try me

Thanks for looking,

Wayne

DSC05481_zpsillerbfm.jpg

DSC05486_zpsgcs64adg.jpg

DSC05483_zpsogy3unyi.jpg

DSC05482_zpsvvq5wcbw.jpg