Good or Bad Weekend

kevinkjse

Hi Guy's

We were going to Devon on Friday morning for a party on Saturday night and then on to Newquay to see some old friends, so Mrs S’s 3 series convertible BMW had one last free service so it was booked in on the Thursday, on the way home from the service Mrs S opened the windows and on shutting a grinding from the rear o/s! strip down on Friday morning revelled the cable had come off the rollers and mangled the regulator!
All stripped down, roof off no regulator in stock this car was going nowhere!

New regulator ordered, out from the garage comes the Turbo in goes the BMW, load up and off we go 11.00 o’clock, accident on the m25 so a slow start M3, A303 then Stonehenge traffic! Temp gauge soon in the red should I pull over! Took the chance traffic will get better then engine cut out! I think when it gets this hot the fuel vaporizes as it does start again but soon cuts out again, pull into a lay by and let it cool down, as the turbo is an LE I have a standard centre mounted oil cooler instead of the wing mounted unit an it does not like any traffic!

After an hour off we go running great 50 odd miles later 10 miles from Honiton cuts out and manage to pull into a country lane, engine would not start! Changed relays fuel and yellow at rear but could smell fuel so suspected coil or spark box but now raining! Tow truck called, now Bob Watson has looked after the Turbo quite a lot and I remembered he had moved down this way but could not remember where! Google search showed SCS Porsche 10 miles away, I telephoned and spoke to Andy the proprietor and must of sounded a bit rude (sorry Andy) as I asked if he new where Bob was now, he was very helpful but did not know but said get the car transported to them, now I don’t let anyone touch my turbo I don’t know and had never herd of SCS before so I declined and tried various sources to try and find Bob, by now I was getting that look from Mrs S you know the one I mean! Just take me home! Anyway the tow truck arrived very quick (30 mins) looking at the engine “I am not touching that” was the remark from the guy so we loaded up on the transporter and thought give SCS a go as Andy seemed ok on the phone, the tow truck guy was local and said he had never seen a Porsche garage down there which concerned me! But when we arrived about 5.00 on Friday afternoon some 6 hours and only 160 miles I thought wow this look a professional setup lots of Porsches old and new, Andy came over and put me to ease straight away, this guy knows his business I thought, he stated that he had a flat nose also coming in for a starter motor the next day, now stuck in Honiton maybe for the night and probably having to hire a car I thought! But Andy lent me a Golf GTI (how good was that) so of we went leaving the car in very good hands!

Party was good Mrs S had almost forgiven me life was getting good again, Sunday off to Newquay but only spent the night there not really my sort of place (1st time down this far), so the went to Padstow, really enjoyed this place fantastic dinner at Rick Stein’s restaurant (now really in the good books) phoned Andy and he stated the spark box was u/s he borrowed a rebuilt unit and fired up fine but also stated an exchange from Porsche £1,200.00 to have mine rebuilt £300.00 but also stated I could have this one also for £300,00 and have mine rebuilt to replace the borrowed one so I could have the car back! So home bound to pick the car up which ran like a dream!

Andy and SCS could not of been more helpful and I said to Andy I could not have broken down in a better place.

Andy and SCS Thanks!

He also stated Bob Watson now at Car Craft Winterboune Dorset.

As stated before this car does not like traffic so when home I tried a trick a friend with and old SC told me about, open the engine lid and put a spacer so the compartment is open 3 to 4 inches open, it seems to work well!

Or just install a 3.2 oil cooler and fan!

Regards

kev

padstow (padstein) is very nice, and would always recommend going to one of the Rick Stein places.

the restaurant is (was) a bit formal, but the bistro was much more relaxed (need to get there early, as they don't (didn't) take bookings. was a few years back i was there.

good work on finding a good solution to what could have been a rubbish w/e

and well done andy at SCS! - don't they also do out of town sofa superstores - some diversification :-)

fred