French Insurance Question

Competition Car Insurance via Henderson Taylor.  Reason given was you need a full UK licence, but I have had NZ licence holders on my policy in the past, so I queried that and its now been referred.

I agree, that logically, you would think it would be ok - we are in the EU (currently!).  Logic isn't always enough though, so looking for any real experience.

it is no surprise that there are inconsistencies all the time.What you need to understand is how the system works.  

Underwriters do not want to deal with the public. Companies like Haggerty and all the other classic car advertisers are Brokers.

two ways this works. 1. Simple agency agreement with totally prescriptive acceptance parameters. 2. Binding Authority where the insurer gives you what we used to call "the pen". the latter is a hell of a responsibility as you as a broker or in the case of Lloyds as a cover holder are allowed to act totally and commit the underwriter 100%, effectively without having to refer as a broker with a standard agency agreement has to do. Obviously there are still rules that apply to binders but these are essentially a retrospective analysis , either post claim or annual audit. It all comes down to staff interpretation at the coal face, which is a nightmare...adage, easier to say no, rather than risk a bollocking jobsworth mentality. Managing staff administering a binder can be challenging and an ongoing exercise....I had one guy who simply wanted to please everybody all the time, bright chap, university graduate..........hes now an Estate agent! 

This is why you will get inconsistencies on a case by case basis sometimes. Also brokers are not experts on licensing and various country legislation requirements.....There is a guy whose posted on this forum "walking through a minefield in hobnail boots" thinking he's got a bit of paper that makes it all OK , not realising that his car is illegal in the country it's being used permenantly and in breach of import regulations as a device to circumvent the rules....insurers will not take responsibility for breach of legislation...good old phrase I've used a number of times "void ab initio"...refund premiums paid and walk away.

My point is that it's down to interpretation , easy in case a where everything is totally normal, but throw in a curved ball it depends who you end up speaking to......glad I'm now retired as it sure isn't as easy as people believe.

Graham