M&K Exhaust

I'm liking that plan bro ;)

We are all friends in this global community, and I will do all I can to make sure the process is streamlined as much as possible, and that M&K will always be knowns as the muffler of choice at a realistic price.

I will be contacting all the usual players during the following months (PorscheShop, Design911 etc) to see if they will sign up as reselers, but can not promise what mark-up they will set.

But you can always come direct to me at CoolCava Racing - I will always try to give a discount to my IB friends on all parts that we stock including the Elephant Racing stuff :)

But you can always come direct to me at CoolCava Racing - I will always try to give a discount to my IB friends on all parts that we stock including the Elephant Racing stuff :)

Go for it PÃ¥l, power to the people!! ;)

Guest mb911

just so everyone knows my website is messed up right now they are working on it. for some reason the changes that we did merged from a page from a year ago.. contact paul for correct info

• 9 months later...
we are hoping that we can keep cost down by having this distributor in europe for all of you folks

It doesn't seem to have happened though does it? Just been on the CoolCava website, £500 is not what I would call reasonable (having read a few old threads I was expecting it to be in line with Turbo Thomas and more like £350?). I don't want to upset anyone but we seem to be shafting the UK consumer as usual - its very disappointing.

http://www.coolcavaracing.com/Parts/Engine...tsEngine_MK.htm

Seems like Turbo Thomas is a more cost effective option.

Edited by dickster

Guest rich s
It doesn't seem to have happened though does it? Just been on the CoolCava website, £500 is not what I would call reasonable (having read a few old threads I was expecting it to be in line with Turbo Thomas and more like £350?). I don't want to upset anyone but we seem to be shafting the UK consumer as usual - its very disappointing.

http://www.coolcavaracing.com/Parts/Engine...tsEngine_MK.htm

Seems like Turbo Thomas is a more cost effective option.

Wow! I agree that £500 is way too much when excellent UK home produced alternatives are available, which from a subjective point of view are also an awful lot easier on the ear....

TT build quality is superb with s'steel flanges, and both Nige and myself have the Dyno results to show that the £350 Turbo Thomas muffler is right up there in the performance stakes producing 240 and 253 bhp respectively (mine has re-map)

So let's compare apples with apples - what grade S/Steel, weight etc of the two systems ? Also bear in mind the M&K will have had to be shipped over the pond.

Keeping an open mind but let's compare more than just price ? Usually find you get what you pay for but stand to be corrected...

I appreciate what you are saying but that's not my point.

1. why are the prices so high in relation to the $ price? They are around $625?

2. in reading the other threads I expected the price to be in line with TT's

bottom line is I don't want to pay £500.

Fair enough, and I guess there's always the option of importing yourself - remember you are paying for someone else to do that for you and you can't expect them to give you their time for free !

As ever, pays your money, takes your choice. I'd be interested in a full comparison though for when the time comes for me to change from the stock system if anyone has full stats on both Turbo Thomas and M&K ?

OK, Lets look at this properly, and with the correct numbers....

If you today go to the pelican web site and look at the M&K Exhaust 1in 1out with polished tips you will see that it is listed at $565. Then go threw the order process, you will get a shipping cost of $150 using USPS Priority Mail International - with all the usual shipping time and customs stuff, you will have the muffler delivered to you within approximately 2 weeks. Now for the calculations, using todays exchange rate (as given on www.xe.com at 1.95545).....

.- Initial cost of muffler $565

.- Shipping $150

.- Total cost in UKP £365.64

.- Import Duty at 3% £10.97

.- VAT at 17.5% £65.91

.- Total Import cost £76.88

.- Royal Mail Carriage Charge £8

To my calculation that gives you a total cost for one M&K muffler to be £451. We list the same muffler for £ 445, and have them in stock for next day delivery....

If you use the USPS option on Pelican it goes to Royal Mail who charge a 'handling fee' - my recent Rennline strutbrace had a 'handling fee' of £15 even though I picked it up from the 'mail depot myself. F'ing rip off. The non-USPS option on Pelican came (faster) via a courier and no 'handling fee'.

Of course its going to cost $150 to have it shipped but we're not talking about it being shipped from the US are we?

Is your £445 shipped?

Even so that's still £80 more than one of your nearest competitors - for a pretty similar product according to the old threads.

If you couldn't import them cheaper fair enough, but as I said I have always like the M & K's (from the Pelican forum) however I cannot see the point of spending the extra.

jmho.

I appreciate your clarification though.

Rich

Edited by dickster

OK, Lets look at this properly, and with the correct numbers....

If you today go to the pelican web site and look at the M&K Exhaust 1in 1out with polished tips you will see that it is listed at $565. Then go threw the order process, you will get a shipping cost of $150 using USPS Priority Mail International - with all the usual shipping time and customs stuff, you will have the muffler delivered to you within approximately 2 weeks. Now for the calculations, using todays exchange rate (as given on www.xe.com at 1.95545).....

.- Initial cost of muffler $565

.- Shipping $150

.- Total cost in UKP £365.64

.- Import Duty at 3% £10.97

.- VAT at 17.5% £65.91

.- Total Import cost £76.88

.- Royal Mail Carriage Charge £8

To my calculation that gives you a total cost for one M&K muffler to be £451. We list the same muffler for £ 445, and have them in stock for next day delivery....

Kroggers does your price include delivery to the UK?

If not, how much is that?

I'm looking for a 2-in 1-out M&K polished tip

Thanks

Carlbon, we are in the UK. CoolCava Racing is based in Hertfordshire. The only additional cost is the next day Royal Mail shipping within the UK, or if you want you can come and collect the muffler. The price quoted on our site is including all required installation hardware.

I am sorry that some think the M&K price tag is to high, but we do not set the price.

I can also announce that M&K are bringing out a new model range of mufflers which will have additional packing in them to bring the volume down - the Gen5 series. The current range will still be available, but marketed more as a high-performance range.

Have you thought about offering 10% discount to IB'ers?

I would really like to have the margins to be able to offer a IB discount, but the truth is that we do not make much money on the M&K mufflers. We stock them as we believe they are the best and as Ben is a good friend. We make more money on our other suppliers. Ben is a true engineer, and has deliberately set his price as low as possible.

Of course its going to cost $150 to have it shipped but we're not talking about it being shipped from the US are we?

Sorry Rich, you lost me here - You need to have them shipped, they are made in the US :blush:

I think if you are only going to buy one muffler in the life of your IB then it doesn't actually matter all that much what the thing costs. The real world diff going by Krogger's post is £100 from TT to MK, which is £2 a week over 12 months - nothing to get upset about. It's great that owners have the choice between these two and the others available, but there is a big difference in the sound of each pipe and only the buyer can decide which one is right; it is not a decision to be made based solely on price. What is music to one man's ears is nails on a blackboard to someone else, and for another £100, it's worth having the sound/feel/power that floats your boat - same as on our v-twins Rich.

Personally the M&K is closer to my ideal, but neither quite do it for me 100%, so I am looking into bespoke options. Believe me, £350/450 for a muffler that makes a bit more power is seriously cheap compared to having something made specifically to your requirements.

Thanks Kroggers, I'd assumed you were in Stockholm so thats why I asked

Am I right in saying that the cost of the M&K boxes have gone up in USD terms?

From talking to others that did this upgrade a couple of years ago that is the impression I got

Happy to chat via PM as I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, just looking to get the most value for my money

Guest rich s
So let's compare apples with apples - what grade S/Steel, weight etc of the two systems ? Also bear in mind the M&K will have had to be shipped over the pond.

Keeping an open mind but let's compare more than just price ? Usually find you get what you pay for but stand to be corrected...

I have the latest TT muffler - its the nice polished final version with shorter box that replaces the one I did all the testing with on the Dyno. So I can stick it on the kitchen scales and photo it like a good catch from the Trent.

The grade of S/steel and any other info can I'm sure be supplied by Rich Thomas.

Guest rich s

Why do we debate over how much this or that component on an IB costs, if you're saying that "it doesn't actually matter all that much what the thing costs" ? :blink:

The same arguement can be applied to anything by saying we should just spread the extra cost over x years.

If product X is £x measurably better than product Y then fair enough, but if that measurement is purely subjective, and like a good wine, according to an individual's taste & preference, then to me it needs to be apples & apples, and we need the info on s/steel grade, weight, etc for both versions.

If product X is £x measurably better than product Y then fair enough, but if that measurement is purely subjective, and like a good wine, according to an individual's taste & preference, then to me it needs to be apples & apples, and we need the info on s/steel grade, weight, etc for both versions.

The mufflers we are talking about are apparently making similar power and are built about the same, M&K quality is tried and tested by seemingly half the Pelican board, so it comes down to what it sounds like. If the preferred sound is going to cost an extra £100, then to my mind it is not worth worrying about/compromising, buy the one you like as it is costing very little extra in the great scheme of things. I don't see any problem with saying the difference amounts to under £2 a week over 12 months, that's all it amounts to, and is how many of us justify/pay for our pricey bits.

"Measurably better" to me would include sounding better, the right noise is definitely on my list. So far not found it but then not heard a C3 with an M&K on it yet. More research is under way.