Light weight image change

Nick / Pedders / Sladey -

'scuse my potentially-ignorant question, but what does one do about rear foglight, which is required for MoT test on a car registered after 1980, IIRC, and a rear reflector which (I think) is also required?

The yellow car above has one of the reversing lights wired to the fog light circuit and is fitted with a red LED lamp.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The yellow car above has one of the reversing lights wired to the fog light circuit and is fitted with a red LED lamp.

Nick, does that get past the Mot?

if so thats a great way to remove the fogs from an SC and not bother wuth all the hasel of updating to the late carrera integrated center reflecter

It hasn't gone through the MOT yet, but I don't see why it should be a poblem

Rear fog lamps**

• Must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle.

• Tell-tale must work.

• Must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured.

• Must be red

** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980.

It hasn't gone through the MOT yet, but I don't see why it should be a poblem

Rear fog lamps**

• Must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle.

• Tell-tale must work.

• Must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured.

• Must be red

** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980.

thanks, can you let us know if it gets through,

btw, what is a tell-tale?

what a brilliant solution! Mine just sort of fudged though MOT. I pit it n to the garage that did the backdate for the MOT. The mechanic phone and said "the rear foglight doesn't work" - I said "of course it doesn't work - you removed it yourself! "

Be said "leave it with me". An hour later I got a call to say if had passed. Whilst I was happy it got through nicks idea sounds much better. Nick did you do anything about side indicators? They told me thywere missing as well (again they removed them) - I offered to duct tape something on just for the mot but it just passed.

Swapping a reverse for a fog is what I did on my American motorhome to get it MOTed - passes no problem.

Nick did you do anything about side indicators? They told me thywere missing as well (again they removed them) - I offered to duct tape something on just for the mot but it just passed.

You can convert the rear US marker light section on your front indicators to function as your side repeaters and that will pass - it's what Paul Stephens does to his backdated 3.2s (the latest versions of which are absolutely superb).

All excellent ideas. I will be using led light units for the front indicators, and was planning on bolting a fog light unit to the underside of the rear bumper (84 - 86 stylee), and only attaching it for mot time. Now there is a better solution!

btw, what is a tell-tale?

Simply an indicator light on the dashboard to tell you the lamp is on.

Are the push pull switches for the fog light and heated rear window etc suppose to light up? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the rear bumper/ valance came off without too much trouble. First casualties of the project were incurred, though, being bumper bellows and rubber trim attaching to the bumper (studs broke of on both).

The one impact bumper mount is off, but the right hand side one is going to be a pain. It looks like I need to remove the oil tank in order to get sufficient access to be able to get to the nut that attaches to the thread on the end of the shock/mount. I can see it, and even get the socket on it (more or less), but experience with the other three suggests that it will require a fair bit of exertion to remove, so I think I will need the space to work at it. If anybody has done this before,I'd be grateful for reassurance that this is the only way before I set about the tank.

As you may see from the pictures, the tank could do with a spruce up anyway. I've got the Bentley manual, so know the theory, and have also noted that a few people on this board have already done this, but I'd appreciate any practical tips on removal if anybody has any!

100-0013_IMG_3.jpg

My suggestion is buy some Wurth Rost Off or Plus Gas. WD is useless for loosening seized fasteners, so if it's what you've been using, then try something else.

I have been using WD40, and could use something better!

Peddars, I've just removed the rear tank on mine as part of a clean up and it was no hassel at all, as long as the oil pipes are disconnected, two bottom and two breather hoses top and the sender unit connections then there are two bolts that are fastened on the inside of the engine compartment, they have plastic type bushes/washes fitted (to minimise vibrations I presume) once they are removed and the small bolt that fastens it to the bottom wing support which I removed to aid the removal of the tank the tank should come out, I didn't even remove the wheel.

Make sure you have a bowl to catch oil which will come out of the lower oil pipe, and when you come to tidy it up I can recommend Por-15, excellent stuff ;)

backendrefurb038.jpgbackendrefurb043.jpg

I have been using WD40, and could use something better!

Tank Commander Comerford swears by Plus Gas - if it works on Chieftains it will work on a 911. As Ian says, WD is water dispersant - not a specific penetrating oil.

I love the Wurth, made some really awful jobs on one of my 4runners a total piece of cake. I would recommend that to anyone, it is brilliant.

Peddars, I've just removed the rear tank on mine as part of a clean up and it was no hassel at all, as long as the oil pipes are disconnected, two bottom and two breather hoses top and the sender unit connections then there are two bolts that are fastened on the inside of the engine compartment, they have plastic type bushes/washes fitted (to minimise vibrations I presume) once they are removed and the small bolt that fastens it to the bottom wing support which I removed to aid the removal of the tank the tank should come out, I didn't even remove the wheel.

Make sure you have a bowl to catch oil which will come out of the lower oil pipe, and when you come to tidy it up I can recommend Por-15, excellent stuff ;)

backendrefurb038.jpgbackendrefurb043.jpg

Thanks Nick - I think I will get stuck into it - just needed a bit of encouragement!

Tank Commander Comerford swears by Plus Gas - if it works on Chieftains it will work on a 911. As Ian says, WD is water dispersant - not a specific penetrating oil.

I love the Wurth, made some really awful jobs on one of my 4runners a total piece of cake. I would recommend that to anyone, it is brilliant.

John, my internet searching skills seem to be letting me down. I don't suppose you could let me know where I can get the Wurth Rost Off?

John, my internet searching skills seem to be letting me down. I don't suppose you could let me know where I can get the Wurth Rost Off?

Search here for your nearest dealer mate - sometimes find it on eBay also.

A can is on its way, and my remaining fasteners are breathing a sigh of relief.

Nice mate, that is Plus though and I was just using the regular stuff. It is great whatever you use, and £2.99 is a bargain!!

Keep the posts coming, good luck with it, and if you need any pics from mine of specific bits let me know.

Hi Mark,

I don't 'spose I could take you up on your offer re pics, could I? Do you have any pictures of the 'inside' of your rear bumper (just curious as to how it was mounted).

Also, if you had any close up shots of where the rear reflector panel was removed that would be great - I've had a good look at pretty much every post on Pelican, but one more from a car which is also an 87 would put my mind at rest.

Will update on progress soon!

Many thanks, and Merry Xmas!