Early Sport seats

Bertroex

On my journeys I had been looking at Sports seats that were correct for my '76 carrera 3.o. These -optional- seats were also to be found on the Turbo 3.o.

930SportSeats0011217206847.jpg

corkseats1217813404.jpg

911C303.jpg

For comparison, late Sports seats look like this

PorscheCarrera32new6-Large.jpg

And the normal ones look like this

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

As it happens, I bought a set from GeorgeK: not cheap but in hindsight an absolute bargain. Mark my words: those sports seats are in time as desirable as the the pre-74 Recaro sports seats.

Now, in your search, make sure that

1. the middle leather parts has the correct number of venting holes.

:blink: An anal remark maybe, but a professional upholsterer knows exactly what you mean in case of you needing to recover it. It'll costs you the same so you might as well do it right. If you are at a Porsche meet, you'll see the difference instantaneously between an original seats and a recovered seat with non -original material.

You have been warned: invest wisely!

930SportSeats0101217207086.jpg

IMG_88131215551761.jpg

2. That you purchase the correct type of seats for your car.

There are namely two types of "early turbo" sport seats: those from M/Y 1974 till M/Y 1977 and those of M/Y '78 till M/Y 84.

The first type has a plastic recaro-logo on a handle to adjust your back seat.

DSC017851144508538.jpg

The second type has a turning wheel to adjust your back seat.

930SportSeats0021217206911.jpg

The second type sports seats are sometimes to be found in 924, 924 turbo's and early 944 cars.

Pour le sport, all seats for Porsche cars are produced by Recaro. Recaro stands for REutters CArrosserie-werke COmpany, and the firm was taken over by Porsche in the early 1960-ties. The building is now known as "werk 1".

Finally, a bit of trivia. Dr Fuhrmann, head of development at Porsche, was a bad back sufferer. He developed an orthopaedic seat known as the "Dr Fuhrmann seat".

68088-3.jpg

Peter Morgan mentions that the 1976 Martini 930 show car was equipped with these seats but that they were not put into production as it would be too costly.

Not correct: they were available to clients but costed a hideously expensive £1800 in 1977. To put it into perspective, the retail price of a 1977 Porsche Turbo 3.o was £19499 and the average house price in q2 1977 was £12,689!

;)

Bert

Edited by Bertroex

Nice Bert ;)

I will add a few more pics later. Spotters bear in mind that not all sports seats have perforated leather. These are sports seats from a 944, scored for a nice price on fleabay. Zymol leather cleaner and an eager six year-old with a microfibre cloth brought them up a treat.

I know the Recaro knob adjust models are that little bit rarer, but the turny wheel seen here is better to use.

RobeBay022.jpg

I know the Recaro knob adjust models are that little bit rarer, but the turny wheel seen here is better to use.

:lol: :lol:

Ooo John, you're just a horse trader really!

Nice pair btw.

Pm me for a price- someone is looking for a pair. Quick deal, brown envelope etc

Bert

I fitted these to my 83 SC last year, I love them, they are so supportive and comfortable. I thought they were from the same era but it looks like they are the earlier ones.

interior001.jpg

I fitted these to my 83 SC last year, I love them, they are so supportive and comfortable. I thought they were from the same era but it looks like they are the earlier ones.

interior001.jpg

Have you weighed them?

The sports seats are much heavier than the non-sports variety, and a little snug fitting for the larger built gentleman!!

interior001.jpg

In a shameless thread hi-jack, I have a set of the later SC Comfort seats for sale - exactly the same colour as the ones in Nick's picture. Dark blue with dark blue/silvery blue Pasha cloth. The passenger seat is almost as new, with no wear, except for a single split between the seat cushion Pasha and outer material. The drivers seat needs a couple of new sections to the base/side bolster and the Pasha seat base (the back section Pasha is in very good condition with little noticeable wear). As Nick says of his, they are also extremely comfortable and supportive.

Hi-jack over :whistling:

Edited by GaryH

Have you weighed them?

The sports seats are much heavier than the non-sports variety, and a little snug fitting for the larger built gentleman!!

I didn't weigh them but they are heavier than the ones I took out, but then that didn't bother me as they look and feel so much better :D

SCs did also use these early sports seats too. I have Berber trimmed ones in my 82 SC. I can't upload photos from here, but will do at the weekend when I'm back home. Those later style taller ones only appeared on C3.2s as far as I know.

Edited by 911monster

SCs did also use these early sports seats too.

SC's should have the "later type MY78-83" earlier style IB sports seats if equipped from the factory.

What Nick is referring to is that he fitted the "earlier type m/y 74-77" early style IB sport seat with the recaro branded handle rather then the "later type" early IB sport seat with a turning wheel for adjusting the back seat.

I never thought I would write such a sentence :doh2:

;)

Bert

SC's should have the "later type MY78-83" earlier style IB sports seats if equipped from the factory.

What Nick is referring to is that he fitted the "earlier type m/y 74-77" early style IB sport seat with the recaro branded handle rather then the "later type" early IB sport seat with a turning wheel for adjusting the back seat.

I never thought I would write such a sentence :doh2:

;)

Bert

Ah, I see. Yes mine do have the rotary back adjuster, so they are the later type early style sports seats!

Have you weighed them?

Hi All,

Is the dark blue pasha cloth and vinyl still available as my seats have seen better days.

911010.jpg

Regards,

Mark.

Hi All,

Is the dark blue pasha cloth and vinyl still available as my seats have seen better days.

911010.jpg

Regards,

Mark.

Mark have you tried Southbound Trimmers they stock most original materials and are very helpfull call them on 01264810080 and speak to David :ani_nerd: check out there web site they have pixcs of stuff theyve done cheers Gra

Mark have you tried Southbound Trimmers they stock most original materials and are very helpfull call them on 01264810080 and speak to David :ani_nerd: check out there web site they have pixcs of stuff theyve done cheers Gra

Search for Pascha on here and you'll find it's out of stock in most places. The last batch in the UK was shipped in from New Zealand IIRC.

With no offence intended, you'll need to spell it properly for a google search to pull up the right results. 'Pascha' as opposed to 'pasha'.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine has a couple of early sport seats with non-perforated leather.

Would those seats be correct for my 75 turbo 3.0? I thought that up to 1977 there was only perforated leather.

Here they are, sorry for the poor quality of the photos

post-2386-1221037648_thumb.jpg

post-2386-1221037663_thumb.jpg

post-2386-1221037681_thumb.jpg

post-2386-1221037693_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

Edited by vipergreen