Release Fork Lever Leak

Gents (and Ladies),

I've got a serious weep from the bottom of the clutch release fork lever. Can this been sorted in-situ easily enough at home? or is it a PITA job lying underneath a car, better being done by a suitable garage?

915.jpg

Oil weeping? Engine oil? Got a nasty feeling that could be a rear main oil seal. Hope not 'cos that's a full engine out job I'm afraid....

Chris.

The seals for the release fork pivot are only dust seals.

As Chris said, if it's engine oil leaking it's the rear main seal and an engine out job.

If it's gear oil (distinctive smell) it's the gearbox input shaft seal and a gearbox out job.

It's worth checking that the oils not coming from somewhere else and running down the outside of the casing.

if it is an transmission oil -you can smell the difference..no need to remove the transmission .Just remove the engine and replace the main shaft seal and o rinf on the clutch TO bearing tube.In the same time you can look at your crankshaft -flywheel seal..Just remove the engine it is an easier job then taking it out with the trany.Again how much is it leaking??

Ivan

Cheers guys,

It's only a weep. maybe a few drops after being parked up after a run - when thoroughly warmed, and, from memory, it's been like it for a while. The motor now has 147K on it, and from what I can deduce from the little history, it's never had a full rebuilt (suspect it's had a top end 'refresh' at some point).

Think I'll just carry on driving and monitoring it - and will try and see if it is coming from somewhere above.

Watch this space...........

23 hours ago, craigt said:

The seals for the release fork pivot are only dust seals.

As Chris said, if it's engine oil leaking it's the rear main seal and an engine out job.

If it's gear oil (distinctive smell) it's the gearbox input shaft seal and a gearbox out job.

It's worth checking that the oils not coming from somewhere else and running down the outside of the casing.

It could also be any of the 3 above under the air box (thermostat, oil breather, oil pressure switch). As craigt said, brake clean, and determine if engine or gearbox oil. If engine then one of 4 leaks. Which can be a PITA to figure out, due to the injection in the way (i.e one leaking looks like from any of the top 3). If gearbox you can do the trans output shaft seal. I have learned over time not to hammer seal in, it does often damage them. I think last time i did one of those. I put the seal in the fridge, made a special tool, so when i tightened the guide tube, it pushed the new seal in, then a smear of 574 round the outside of the new seal, with oil on the shaft, and basically pushed it in, by tightening the guide. Left it overnight then operated the gearbox to see if leaked. You of course clean everything when you have the seal out etc. I would approach the RMS in a similar way. Again i have a special tool made so i can pull it in it through using the 6 or 9 flywheel bolt holes. 

Edited by Strictly