0.5 - 1mm run out on crankshaft V pulley ! ? Picture of car.

MarkT

76 911

So first day driven out of the garage in 4.5 years (slow reno !)

About the only thing I have noticed is there appears to be a very slight run out on the crankshaft V pulley, the pulley is fitted well with no play and tight bolt. my questions:

a) How could this happen ?
b) After just putting the engine back in I don't want to drop the engine just to replace the pulley, can it be replaced without a drop?
b) What are they made of at £300 a pop ! ?

Cheers
Mark

first day out 1.jpg

Hi Mark, I assume you mean warped, not end float, as you've got a bigger problem if that's the case.

You can remove the pulley without dropping the engine. You'll need to support the engine with a jack and remove the exhaust , rear tinware , engine carrier and support bar. That'll give you access to the pulley and enough room to wap off with an impact gun. 

DBS

3 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Warped pulley, end float is fine. 

Did you drop it or use a puller or lever to remove it? You can get a machine shop to square it off for you, should be fine thereafter. Make sure it's fully sat down and the end of the crank isn't burred over or damaged. 

I have never removed it, I guess the last time it was removed would have been by Charles Ivy of London many years ago when it was rebuilt, my guess is it was warped using a puller or similar. It is very subtle, I can only just notice it, but now I have......... 

Can't see how a machine shop could square it off, the wall thickness is to thin, maybe in a press thay could flatten it, think I'd rather fit new. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Mark

Just now, MarkT said:

I have never removed it, I guess the last time it was removed would have been by Charles Ivy of London many years ago when it was rebuilt, my guess is it was warped using a puller or similar. It is very subtle, I can only just notice it, but now I have......... 

Can't see how a machine shop could square it off, the wall thickness is to thin, maybe in a press thay could flatten it, think I'd rather fit new. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Mark

If it's that subtle I wouldn't worry about it. A machine shop would mount it in a lathe and use a run out tool to square the pulley up. 

D

Just now, Phill said:

Your car looks lovely by the way.

Phill, Thanks a few bits to go on but great to have it driving. 

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

I removed my pulley without removing any other parts.

All you need is something like this

IMG_20200707_210617.thumb.jpg.8cc69d79ed625538cf1f0cedb100114f.jpg

And this

IMG_20200707_210644.thumb.jpg.ad7ca3cd5a296a1898da0bdf035fe714.jpg

Came off easy peasy........

I have the spanner, do you still have the tool ? 

6 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Phill, Thanks a few bits to go on but great to have it driving. 

I have the spanner, do you still have the tool ?

Yes Mate, home made and in the list of loanables. Where are you based?

21 minutes ago, Phill said:

Yes Mate, home made and in the list of loanables. Where are you based?

This really depends on what type of crank pulley you have, if you've got air injection and or Aircon it might prove tricky especially with one that has been on there for some time. In addition probably want to check the condition of the nose of the crank square on incase there's an issue there. It's pretty tight down in the carrier whole but by all means give this a crack first 😂

There is only one crank pulley, the air pump and aircon compressor come off the top fan pulley. Crank pulley is £228+ vat

20 minutes ago, Type911 said:

There is only one crank pulley, the air pump and aircon compressor come off the top fan pulley. Crank pulley is £228+ vat

Thanks, will check original once off and if I can confirm its not true I'll order. 

It's the 131mm type. 911.102.017.04 item 14 from 1977 parts list "V-belt pulley" 

Cheers

Mark

12 hours ago, Type911 said:

I I'm not sure if this is correct Matt, I know the pet might give the correct part NOS for the years but I've had various options with the 76, 77  cars. Just saying. Post a pic mark and we'll have some more info. 

DBS

I'm reasonably sure my original pulley is different to the one I put on when I fitted my crank sensor wheel. I think this because I had to fit a different length fan belt. However, the bracing holes are in the same position on both.

I think that might of superceeded to a later no. Matt will be along to put you right. As Phil says Mark you might have success with getting that off with similar in house tools provided it hasn't corroded or fused on. There's a locating pin for the pulley in the end of the crank so provided it sits down square after you get it off it should be reset. You'll be able to better inspect it when it's out. DBS

1 minute ago, MarkT said:

mine looks very similar

Pulley.jpg

Up to 1975 -  911 102 017 50  116.5mm

1976-77  911 102 017 04   131.0mm

1978   930 102 028 01  goes to 930 102 028 09

1979-80  930 102 028 04

1981-89 930 102 028 08

1978 with aircon 930 102 023 01

1979-80 with aircon 930 102 023 03

1981-83 with aircon 930 102 023 05

1984 on with aircon 930 102 024 03

Thought I'd provide an update

With some help from this forum, tools & first hand experience from Phill, I did get the pulley off without removing anything, I used a combination of home made tools ! 

The Pulley to crankshaft interface was in very good order with no damage, clean and no rust.

I then put a long bolt through the pulley and a nut to hold it and mounted it in my cordless drill with Dial indicator running of the face of the pulley.

The run-out / warp was about 0.75mm on the face and about 1.2mm on the edge of the V (Outer most), this confirming what I could see when it was fitted.

I have ordered a new pulley !!!!!££££ should have it in a few days.

Replaced the High beam (very dull) & Parking light indicator (Open Circuit) dash bulbs with LEDs all went well. 

Tried very short test drive 2 more observations:

1.  Clicking noise from lower rear bulk head area, think something to do with speedo cable connection, pain as I have to remove the entire transmission mounting plate to get to it, job for tomorrow.

2. A clunk from front right suspension, had a quick look and remembered that I had not fully torqued the RH shock fixings inside the luggage compartment. All fixed now will check for clunk on next test drive.

Thanks to all

Mark

On 09/07/2020 at 07:57, Type911 said:

Up to 1975 -  911 102 017 50  116.5mm

1976-77  911 102 017 04   131.0mm

1978   930 102 028 01  goes to 930 102 028 09

1979-80  930 102 028 04

1981-89 930 102 028 08

1978 with aircon 930 102 023 01

1979-80 with aircon 930 102 023 03

1981-83 with aircon 930 102 023 05

1984 on with aircon 930 102 024 03

(sorry for highjack)

What’s the largest diameter crankshaft pulley?

And the smallest fan pulley?

Just fitted new pulley looks perfect compared to original, I checked it before putting it on and it still had a little deviation ~0.3mm however, I begin to think I'm expecting to much from my measuring technique. The important thing to me is the new one does not look like it wobbles at all on the car and has significantly less measurable deviation than the old original one.

Out of interest the Supplier is trying to find out what the design tolerance is !

Cheers

Mark