Gearshift lever link slider bar lower bush change 1985

SteveE

Hi,

How do you change the slider bar link bush at the gearshift that is held in place by the small bracket. In an old workshop manual I have the picture that shows the metal piece (looks a bit like a smokers pipe) and comes out the end of the shaft that the gearstick bush fits in looks like it is attached by a location pin at the sides of the main slider rod link but mine has nothing around the end of the shaft so I can't see how to to get it out to get the bracket and guide bush out.

Does the slider bar have to be disconnected somewhere at the rear and slid forward to free up the bracket and bush.

All the best

Steve

The 2 bolts that hold the main housing to the floor pan hold that bracket too, these need to removed then the bracket will slid along the rod and the bush easily comes out and a new one easily goes back in

Hi,

Phil lots of pictures but not sure what would make things any simpler. I just need to know how the process is fo changing the sliding bar bush.

Type911 yes I know very well the two rear allen head bolts release the bracket as I will explain, but how does the bracket with the sliding bush or even just the bush get past the end of the sliding bar as it has the 'smoking pipe' bit that the gearshifter pivot bush fits into at the end.

I have just fitted a Sienne system.......I have owned a 79 SCtarga and a 1984 Carrera over 30 years ago and as an automotive engineer I did my own modifications to the shifter back then when I had access to all the engineering facilities.

Times moved, now retired and and a few Ferraris and Rolls Royces behind me I am back in a 1985 Porsche 911 fully restored but the owner struggled with the gearshift.

Having owned many minis back in the 60's I know about sloppy shifters but the Porsche shifter is fine for me and was always told 30 years ago 1st is just to get you moving drop into 2nd ASAP, but it is the security of accidently dropping down from 5th to 2nd to me is the real issue.

The current situation is previous owner had 'supposedly' every bush UJ, link and a full gearbox rebuild at CRT. (invoices on file verify correct)

So I am in the process after rebuilding a replacement complete shifter with the Sienne kit ready to fit...................no way the old shifter can come out as some jerk rounded off the allen key head on one of the two that hold the bracket.. The three larger bolts that hold the main ali casting came out fine but just the one into the bracket was enough to stop anything being removed as a complete assembly.

I had to drill down and easiout the bolt. It was quite obvious the bush at the base of the shifter lever had been replaced by removing the housing top plate but the bush on the slider bar attached to the bracket was old, very yellow, and very worn.

I just can't see how this bracket or even just the bush can be removed over the end as the 'smoking pipe' that is on the end of the slide bar I can't see how comes off it seems well solid in the shaft and no sign of any roll pin or retention bolt holding it in.

I have an invoiceless than 2 years old that came with the car stating it had the complete Design911 overhaul kit and the invoice is also there in the file for the parts. The job was obviously not done completely no doubt as the garage discovered they could not remove the main shifter housing and probably themselves maybe rouned off the allen head, yet still states on their invoice it was done and the whole gear shift all set/adjusted which also was not done as the wear on the pivot bracket and roll pin was quite excessive so the whole gear shift was very sloppy.

Despite the slider bush showing signs of wear I decided to finish fitting the rebuilt gearshifter for now as I could not see how it came out and will order some new parts...............no doubt the previous ones are sitting in the bottom of a mechanics toolbox.

Generally the shifting now is near perfect as there was never any problem between 1st and 2nd but the sliding bush was worn and old and very yellow so I will order a new bush and replace once I understand how it comes out.

I have lots of pictures showing the complete build of the new shifter and removing the old one but can't see how to upload them as it just says insert image from URL. Sorry new to forum so got a bit to learn.......back when I had my previous Porsche's the internet did not even exist so maybe someone can show me how to upload pictures too

Steve

Thanks Leicestershire I had the whole gear shifter assembly off finally after I drilled out and easiouted the one of the two smaller allen bolts that someone had rounded off.

That left me looking down the hole at the slider bar with the bracket and bush attached  and at the end of the slider bar again as I say looks a bit like a smokers pipe which the gearstick pivot bush drops into. The problem is I saw no way this was attached into the slider bar so could not remove it to then slide the bracket off to change the slider bush.

Looking at an old workshop manual that mainly covers up to about 1983 cars the pictures do show some side sort of attachments holding the end in the tube, but mine had no signs of anything that was holding in the en piece and without getting that end piece off I cannot slide the bracket and bush off.

Obviously something changed by 1985 model. I wondered if this end piece has now been welded/fused in or an interference fit which would mean somehow the bracket would have to come off the back end. I remember doing my own 1984 car gearshifter design mods 30 years ago but the car was very low mileage so did not need the bushes replacing but I cannot visualise what the rod and bracket looked like back then.

I worked on the Jaguar 'J' gate shifter and built Jaguar/Aston martin prototypes and knew this Porsche model was bad so designed my own upgrades well before the WEVO, RenneShift, or Sienne ones were available for the aftermarket. There was no internet forums back then to tap into everyone elses wise knowledge so before I go pulling it all apart again I figured best to ask.

Again if anyone can direct me too how to add pictures or files.

Steve

Sorry, thought you had taken the end off! That should be the easy bit, item 24;

8QE-O97qgxlDL8znWerfEMbyOdtNaoWjTzBBM-Rv

This was the same for all 915 up to 1986. If your end piece isnt as per the diagram its not factory. I cant remember seeing any aftermarket versions though

Thanks type911 that picture is very helpful. Any links to the parts manuals or workshop manuals would be appreciated if they are available to download now.

I also found this part listed on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283374519574

This listing clearly shows the end and indeed it looks like there is a blind allen key retention stud on the lower lefthand side. I was working from the drivers RHS and quite honestly so cross that someone had rounded off the bolt head and so just made out they had done this work I probably missed seeing it as you cannot lift the rod up very far to expose this due to bodywork tunnel.

I will order a new bush and pull it all apart again.

Still need to know how to add files and pictures........ I see the box at the bottom right to insert images but how do i get them from my computer onto the post.

Steve...............who is a good mechanic but lousy on computers and does not even have a mobile phone, and maybe add old age related eyesight too.

Thanks I am going to try now but just one picture and then will add some more if it works for me.

No that did not work just blew my whole message away. I have nothing in bottom left just bottom right says insert image from URL.

Outside of the message box it just has follow topic on the left and submit reply on the right side......

Maybe newbies are not allowed!!!!!!

Steve

15 hours ago, SteveE said:

Thanks I am going to try now but just one picture and then will add some more if it works for me.

No that did not work just blew my whole message away. I have nothing in bottom left just bottom right says insert image from URL.

Outside of the message box it just has follow topic on the left and submit reply on the right side......

Maybe newbies are not allowed!!!!!!

Steve

Supporting members can add their pics to the forum servers using the tools the guys are describing above. It costs 4p a day to become a supporting member.

Free members can use one of the Internet's many remote image servers. Here's how to do that:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ALL for the info.

Not much responses coming from the 911UK forum so figured would try here albeit being advised there is another few around to check out. I suppose I can work without uploading pictures at the moment.

Yes there was an allen screw exactly where described and pictured. I was working from the rhs seat and the bottom was covered with a blob of grease so was covering it up from view.

So the whole story is we are currently appraising some of the aftermarket parts and particularly the 910/915 sloppy gearchange issues. I am doing the installations on my own car for appraisal and tests. Starting with the more simpler Seine system we have added this to the original early SC shifter, then the semi short shifter and now just completing appraisals on the full monty FSS.

There is no doubt the improvements across all 3 are instant regarding the sloppy shifter. We now have completed the semi short shift factory option 85/86 with a new Seine shifter kit now surplus so will be adding this to ebay shortly. The cast alloy of the SC will be used to build into a WEVO

Next steps as looking at the WEVO back to back with the FSS/Seine currently fitted then we will move onto the RennShift.

Sometimes when you look at the parts vs cost one would not feel value for money with the Seine and WEVO but to be respectful to both there is an investment in tooling that has to be paid back in the piece part cost. However driving the car with the much less costly Seine system it has to said it really is superb and precise.

None I suppose will ever cure the inherent 1st to 2nd stiffness but our car has never suffered here just need to completely take away that uncertainty of dropping into the wrong gear.

Not that it is part of the appraisal work but the fitting (not the Seine shifter kit that was easy) but the car has been a nightmare as the car was supposed to have had all new gear bushes etc fitted just 3000 miles ago. Starts off the two smaller allen screw heads rounded off on the casting and had to be drilled out. Then once getting to the end shift allen screw this was so tight it twisted the allen key. Once out got to @leicestershire's comment 'just slides off'.............whoever worked on the car in the past I think must have had a bottle of Loctite. No way would it slide off and it was clearly obvious someone had been here before as the link rod had grip marks just where the nylon bush in the bracket sits and the burr had virtually destroyed the bush as it slid along it. Thankfully removal of the 'pipe end' was achieved with a simple small ball joint removal tool. The shaft was cleaned up and smoothed in situ as could not work out how to remove it and probably needed the heater controls in the centre console removed as it would not slide past. Anyway cleaned up and new bush fitted. The old bush was very yellow and definitely not replaced  18 months ago so assume someone just gave up.

So it did appear perhaps the rear UJ had been replaced as there was an invoice in the files for the complete service kit (£130)  from Design911 wih a complete new UJ not just the bushes. Again not sure how much play is expected in this UJ but something now to investigate as there appeared a lot of free/loose play and again supposedly only 3000 miles. It appeared to give the gearshifter about 2mm either side in nuetral free play and certainly visible at the movement on the UJ which if this was tighter would totally eliminate any loose movement of the gearstick other than the slight free clearance the Seine fitting instructions advise at the side spring.

Sorry for long post but having a rest while the car is out at the airport track being appraised and tested before fitting the WEVO kit.

Steve

l