djf67's Red SC Cab Backdate

djf67

• 2 weeks later...

New petrol tank finally fitted and speedo back from "Speedy" Cables in Swansea - EIGHT WEEKS after I sent it to them for a repair to the odometer. Should be back on its wheels and running again tomorrow.

frontnofogs_zps44579cfe.jpg

The red cab now pinging and tinkling contentedly back in the garage after a test run. Still lots to do without these detours for unexpected repairs!

Infinitely better looking without front fogs so I might keep the standard bumpers after all. Otherwise a backdate might happen in the longer term.

Rear seatbelts installed. PITA to find the captive nuts at the correct angle when belts have never been fitted previously

Here's that tartan...

Tartan_zpsbd7934c8.jpg

The look is growing on me but they aren't original to the car, the passenger seat doesn't tilt (broken?) and the rears are just black leather/vinyl so don't match. Tempted by some BF Torinos...

I have the same tartan material on my seats, they were reupholstered at some point as the material is bright and not faded like yours (sorry not being critical but the new tartan is much brighter). When I bought the car I was even given a length of material to reupholster the door cards and rear seats but instead of going down the tartan route I have started to reupholster with black leatherette. Not sure what I should do with the length of red tartan material I have left............

• 3 weeks later...

Working through some of the little jobs.

New front trunk shocks.

Looked at the feasibility of an LED reverse-to-fog conversion. Found both my reverse lights blown, but one white one black...

post-520-0-53426300-1368973078_thumb.jpg

Light units well and truly seized in place so I'll save that job until the exhaust swap.

I have headers...

post-520-0-20383800-1368973476_thumb.jpg

Today, I had the front blower protection panel off to access the trunk shocks so gave it a clean up and stripped another 650g of redundant wiring out from the dead alarm. The alarm ECU was removed before I bought the car but I've still binned over 1kg of alarm related gubbins.

post-520-0-52668400-1368973238_thumb.jpg

The fancy new undertray didn't fit and I don't have the enthusiasm for another try.

Big jobs are - probable engine rebuild and some paintwork/bodywork but I need to decide the direction I want to go before i do those. Oh, and money would help, too.

• 3 weeks later...

This editor is sheet.

The first two attachments of the previous post should be with the text

'I like this look'

and the two green pics shhould accompany the text 'and fancy a backdate rear with an IROC front'

Edited by djf67

• 1 month later...

Development/mods have paused to accumulate funds. I need to decide whether to tackle what sounds like broken head stud or the bodywork.

In the meantime...

system_zps303446ad.jpg

I have oil lines courtesy of Tripe.

Do I risk tackling 33 year old studs or pay someone to do it? I have penetrating oil stuff and freeze break stuff but no oxyacetylene...

Get it done when I get the engine done is probably the sensible answer.

Edited by djf67

If the current heat exchangers haven't been off in a while then there's no way I'd tackle it without oxy.

It does make life easier to do it when the engine is out but all depends on your timescales I guess.

Good luck with it.

• 1 month later...

Doing a few jobs today. Seine Systems strut for rear lid as shocks were distorting alignment of GRP flat lid. Front one ready to fit when front lid is replaced.

Door cards stripped down to replace with smart new Appbiz RS America cards and to fix power window in passenger door.

Good news - passenger window now goes down readily. Bad news - it won't go back up. Out with the multimeter after lunch.

Ground to a halt with the door cards as I wasn't supplied the tool for holding the captive nuts as it says in the instructions and circlip pliers don't work as a bodgit alternative.

Door cards swap loses over 2kg per door.

Crippled leccy window went up by reversing the wiring to the motor - sounds like a short in the earth in the switch but at least I know the motor works.

Any ideas what this is? It's in the gaping hole left by the 6x9 in the driver's door (pair of speakers 3.5kg) - has a 'C' on it and is dated 1989, as is the BMW relay glued to the top, the year the car was painted red. Wiring runs to another box bolted insode the latch-end of the door, in turn linked to the door lock. There is no equivalent in the passenger door.

The car used to have a Clifford alarm - alarm? central locking actuator? It's redundant, in either case.

post-520-0-18026700-1378053263_thumb.jpg post-520-0-87200000-1378053273_thumb.jpg

The box in the driver's door (two posts up) was some sort of central locking/window shutting control box from the redundant alarm. Removing it has got the passenger window working up and down from both switches and saves another 365g.

31.75kg shed so far (39.4kg off, 7.67kg on). The next jobs will involve big weight losses (bumpers/heat) and big expenses (engine)...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the car was away, I took the opportunity to paint the garage and have a bit of a clear out. I have some of the results on ebay. Sod's Law dictates that, whilst engine remains in pieces at Unit 11, my pair of Minilites have finally arrived, along with the backdate rear bumper. Still, at least I have space to prep the good front wing I picked up to replace my rustier one.

Weight of an 8x16 Minilite? 9.96kg, undermining all my weight loss philosophy as they will effectively replace a pair of 6" Fuchs. 7s will go on the front and also be all blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack, rather than the (IMHO) twee-looking red centres.

ml_zps895060d4.jpg

frontwing1_zpsb872a2cb.jpg

bum_zps44c9a323.jpg

Minilites are on now. Beginning to come together. Ride height courtesy of 50kg weight loss...

rear34_zps2e3f4c80.jpg

side_zps29feae19.jpg

I've had to have the driver's door apart as the door pull cable had near siezed. I've also been drying her out is the soft top has got very wet (left outside during the day during engine rebuild) so re-waterproofing of the hood is in order, too.

In a dry window I've been for a quick blast this afternoon. Tried to capture the exhaust but these two clips don't really do it justice (blame the passenger!) -

th_20131027_160729_zpsd1daa30c.jpg

th_20131027_161033_zps281a97f2.jpg

Edited by djf67

• 1 month later...

7s moved to the front and satin blacked out -

front34_noplate50_zpsc0679136.jpg

rear34_noplate50_zpsdca95230.jpg

rear34_2_noplate_zps0a9349d3.jpg

And now the backdate of the rear begins...

backdatebegins_zps0d6dbbb9.jpg

Intact rear reflector, rear bumper (needs shotblasting), rear 3/4 bumper thingies and one overrider available to others ;) . Bumper rubbers, one overrider, bellows all foobahed at mounting bolts but spares/repair.

Awesome job mate, doing a few tasks that I'd like to do. In particular I am very keen to change exhaust and headers to just what you have put on. Are they Danske ? If not (or even if) where did you get them and what was the cost ??

So do you have to change the headers at the same time as the silencer ? And is it loud being a race setup ? Will you need to change the silencer come mot time ? Did you go for 1 1/2" headers and how did they fit ? Any probs ? Have to say I dropped a note to Magnus Walker on his blog about his silencers but when I searched Dansk it seemed like with our cars we are stuck with just standard looking exhausts. Did it all fit up okay or did you need to do work on the rear apron ? I have to say I bloody love your car. Always had a soft spot for cabs since I saw one the year they came out in white in Adelaide. Lovely place, lovely car !!

Always makes me smile how our open cars are more expensive to buy new but cheaper to buy second hand. Live that dream !