Door hinge play

Nige

Hi chaps

What's the done thing on the door hinges if you have play, is it a case of replacing the whole hinge and pin, or just pin only.   How easy does the whole hinge come away from the door?

Cheers

The bushes in the door side of the hinges are brass, so wear more easily than a steel pin.  You could drive one pin out & try a replacement, but I changed the bushes on mine.  My pins were a bin rusty, so I changed them too.

To avoid too much faff with realigning the doors, I’d remove them by drifting the pins out, rather than unbolting the hinges from the car A-pillar.  The hinges are not removable (without mega hassle) from the door.

My doors were off when I replaced the bushes.  I’m not sure that you could do them in situ - very little space.

I used a length of threaded bar with sockets, washers, etc to pull the old bushes out.  I filed a short lead in on the new bushes 

The brass bushes are supplied under size and need reaming out after fitting.

Edited by PeterK

Nice one chaps, that's exactly the info I needed.

Best plan a door removal session then.  The metalwork around the door check strap needs sorting too so I can tackle that at the same time.

I best look into 'how to ream' on YouTube.

I assume it's two of those bushes per hinge, so 4 per door?

3 hours ago, Nige said:

I assume it's two of those bushes per hinge, so 4 per door?

yes

A reamer is effectively just a very accurate drill bit.

Go slow & steady, gradually taking a bit more out until the pin is tight, but fits.  The last thing you want is paying for & spending ages fitting new bushes, only to make the holes all big and sloppy 😇

Nothing worse than going too hard and fast and turning your hole into sloppy mess.  I've just ordered all the parts, with some extra bushes in case I mess up.