"No race car" track evening - Brands May 23

SilverWT

Open Pit Lane track evening for road cars, Brands Indi, next Thursday May 23.

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2019/may/23-bh-eve/?utm_campaign=Car+Trackday+30.04.2019+EDM+NEW+LAYOUT&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

I have just booked at £119, weather forecast looks OK, anyone else?

Mark

Maybe a bit off piste, but has anybody had the Incredible Hulk syndrome trying to drive a road car on track with the bl@@dy crash helmet making your chin rest on your chest as the helmet is jammed up on the roof lining? Put me off ever trying again to drive on a race track!

David.

4 minutes ago, David Gander said:

Maybe a bit off piste, but has anybody had the Incredible Hulk syndrome trying to drive a road car on track with the bl@@dy crash helmet making your chin rest on your chest as the helmet is jammed up on the roof lining? Put me off ever trying again to drive on a race track!

David.

Haha, are you tall David? Also, do you have a sunroof and standard seats? If so then you will struggle with a helmet on!

I'm not tall and when driving with lowered bucket seats on side mounts (so a much lower SRP) I still find headroom quite restricted with a helmet on.

I'm always amazed people like Longman didn't have to drive cabrios!!

2 hours ago, Phill said:

What dB is a standard sc

Around 98dB, but they all seem to vary, as do the test results depending on operator and weather etc.

Under rev a bit and clutch in should get a std IB through, but intake and mechanical noise are all additive being rear engined.

I have baffles in the twin tail pipes and a spare set of bolt on extra baffles if needed (not needed to use them yet). I will also put a standard air filter cover back on.

Mark

So, just made it through the noise test. Right on the limit, tester said don't use any sports buttons WTF. He did not comprehend it was an old analogue car and he wasn't a young guy!!!

Mark

On 5/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, SilverWT said:

So, just made it through the noise test. Right on the limit, tester said don't use any sports buttons WTF. He did not comprehend it was an old analogue car and he wasn't a young guy!!!

Mark

Howd you get on Mark? Any vids?

On 5/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, jevvy said:

Howd you get on Mark? Any vids?

Sorry for the delay in replying, needed to find some time to upload some vid clips.

So first, pic of the ugly muffler cans I had to put on to get past the static noise test.

1965492404_exhaustcans2.thumb.jpg.2e667dca2dcc445641fe21221a2db0a9.jpg

472953377_exhaustcans1.thumb.jpg.7c961b11f1fceace1490b85fefbd11f7.jpg

I never made them to last on track, just to get me through the test and after a couple of sessions they were getting a bit rattley! So parked well away from the noise tester and unbolted them. Did most of the evening without them on and got no problems with the drive by meters, what a fiasco the noise testing is on aircooled 911s. It was worth the faff though, had a good time on track and was able to time sessions to get a clear run most of the time.

A couple of gratuitous pics...

CH_190523_BH_Eve_0568.thumb.jpg.e5e38c1b605041524d7a86f78c62ca94.jpg

CH_190523_BH_Eve_0691.thumb.jpg.386b805deb4b30fd0b30c110a74cdde0.jpg

A couple of vid clips...

Mark