Change rear wheel bearings without moving geometry?

Ianmorrow

1 hour ago, Phill said:

If I understand it correctly, if you do the job on the car you won't need to disturb any of the suspension settings. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny.

I did mine on the car (1984 3.2) and didn't need to alter the geometry, I did release the shock absorber for space/access, but none of the settings were moved. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/10/2020 at 03:20, Ianmorrow said:

I has a bit of a whining noise on braking on my 1989 174k 3.2. Changed the front bearings no problem. Thinking I should do rear but don’t want to disturb geometry etc.

If you haven't checked your geometry in a while then it might be worth resetting the whole thing anyway. I think it is easier to get the arms off and do a few "while you're in there"s.

Heat and cold are definitely the way to go. I use a small electric cooking hob to heat bearing carriers and the freezer is a great friend of mine.

• johndglynn changed the title to Change rear wheel bearings without moving geometry?
16 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Agreed, he made that look very easy with some simple tools.

I was very encouraged when I saw this video but his method didn't work for me even when using an impact wrench :(