Bodywork Repairs (sills)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The theory holds as much water as a sheet of toilet paper, the very last thing I am is Orange! Or lightweight, or fully-restored or punchy or anything along those lines - I might be a bit 'roofless' though, and a bit 'Fuch'd'.

Chaps,

Newsflash - car going back to the bodyshop!! I noticed they had missd a bit of underseal in the front wing repair and there are some marks on the wing that need a good polish.

I will report back.

So here is the update from picking up the car for the 2nd time. It was a pain and hassle to take it back but what I did like was Eric's attitude. From the 1st phone call he said how soon can you get it back? When I arrived there was no excuse or waffle, Eric looked at the problem and apologised for the hassle saying it should not have happened and he would fix it. The mechanic who did the job also came over and said 'sorry', he spent so much time concentrating on cleaning out the kidney areas and sealing the back arches that he forgot to take the underseal gun to the front wing. Having worked on aircraft for years, sh1t happens and mistakes are made. What I liked was they held their hands up, apologised and said we'll fix it no arguments. Eric then took me to the train station and paid my train and taxi fare home!

I left the car with him until Wed this week and he had sorted the wax and underseal of the wing and completely polished and waxed the car:

SANY0014Small.jpg

SANY0017Small.jpg

SANY0016Small.jpg

It looks fantastic - maybe I should keep those sill covers off?

The ultimate question is 'would I use Eric again'? Absolutely. The repairs are 1st class considering he had to fabricate the patches to match the original curves. He is also an honest bloke which I admire and would trust him to look after the car again. I'm sure Anil is in good hands from this Saturday.

Unfortunately I then had to get the car dirty blasting across the A4 through Malborough and across the Downs... :steering::D:D:revs:

Put them back on and stop being ridiculous - sill covers off is for wannabe track monsters or IBs trying to look like a pre-73 car without the expense :D

Looking good Andy, bet you are pretty pleased with it now.

Looking good Andy. Sill covers off is cool ;)

But I've just painted them? Ground out the rust, POR 15 undercoat, POR chassis coat, then New stone chip hammerite paint topped of with smooth Hammerite. Look good and I suppose won't rust hanging up in the garage rafters? I can also hear the Ian C lecture - that's at least 5 coats of paint at 57.3 microgrammes per square inche...that's.... extra weight.

Put them back on and stop being ridiculous - sill covers off is for wannabe track monsters or IBs trying to look like a pre-73 car without the expense :D

Looking good Andy, bet you are pretty pleased with it now.

Yes JG sure am :D . I did think oh no here we go when I spoted the error, but Eric was brill. Will try and get back to sorting the headlight bowl this weekend. I was going to take off the bumpers this winter - but then I read the earlier thread.....may not want to go there yet.

And get some proper Porsche topcoat on them too - I can see Ian's velcro wallet tendencies are rubbing off - or did you give yours to him lol :)

I may be a jock but the Pongo is worse than me.

Dad - What is proper Porsche top coat? :blink:

I was going to take off the bumpers this winter - but then I read the earlier thread.....may not want to go there yet.

Do it, you are on a roll mate, take them off and have a looksee. Undo the bellows complete with the infill panels - the nuts will prob start turning otherwise and you will need new bellows.

Topcoat = colour/paint. Though Hammerite is a pig and a half to paint over. You should have let your man paint them :smash:

Do it, you are on a roll mate, take them off and have a looksee. Undo the bellows complete with the infill panels - the nuts will prob start turning otherwise and you will need new bellows.

Topcoat = colour/paint. Though Hammerite is a pig and a half to paint over. You should have let your man paint them :smash:

Could not get them there in time - they also needed a lot of prep to grind down the rust - I will post a new thread. It was not the usual Hammerit I used but the smooth stuff and it looks like the original gloss finish and matches the car well without a great contrast. If I gave it to the bodyshop what else am I goint to paint in the kitchen to cheese the wife off? Answer - bumpers? :whistling:

It looks fantastic - maybe I should keep those sill covers off?

It looks great Andy.

I thought the same when I had the sill covers off to change the t/bars. I thouught they looked cool for a while, as John said, a track car wannabe :cool: But I soon got tired of people asking whether there was something missing so I finally put them back on. And I have to say they kind of finish the car off nicer :)

Rich

It looks great Andy.

I thought the same when I had the sill covers off to change the t/bars. I thouught they looked cool for a while, as John said, a track car wannabe :cool: But I soon got tired of people asking whether there was something missing so I finally put them back on. And I have to say they kind of finish the car off nicer :)

Rich

Ok Ok they are going back on after all that hand crafted painting and attention to detail (i.e. cleaning POR 15 off of a kitchen table - wanna know how I know?). Maybee take them off again for another look once the light grey Carerra side script is on and the Fuchs refurbed to black and silver!? :whistling:

Looking good Andy.

Getting the front bumper off and having a good clean up session is on my to do list this winter.

Maybee we can compare the finer points of oxidation over Xmas? Can't wait it will be highlight of the holiday with 2 mother-in-laws staying over! :cry:

What the hell were you thinking marrying a woman with two mothers? You are a glutton for punishment!

When they asked what I wanted for Christmas I said a heater for the garage ;) Wonder how long it will take the old naggers to notice I'm gone?

When they asked what I wanted for Christmas I said a heater for the garage ;) Wonder how long it will take the old naggers to notice I'm gone?

Under ten seconds for you to go AWOL on their son-in-law radar - ask me how I know :banghead: