Bodywork Repairs (sills)

I dropped off my car on Sat to have the patch repairs done. History here:

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1427

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1366

I am using the place recommended by Ray Northway called 'Modern paint' located in the same Industrial Estate as Ray's near Reading. Here are some pics:

It's a small unit which when i visited last month had a 944S, 993 and lancia in for work.

SANY0140.jpg

The current work includes:

SANY0143.jpg

SANY0144.jpg

993-1.jpg

He's worked on lots of porkas and classics.

The jag is sitting in the oven where your baby gets dried:

SANY0146.jpg

If you think Porkas get rusty, this Roller needed all 4 of these bits done!!

SANY0145.jpg

I should get it back on Friday and will let you know and see the results. I will be working on the sill covers to clean them up and touch up the rust spots there as a DIY project.

It felt like I was leaving my baby at the hospital for major surgery - how sad is that!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It felt like I was leaving my baby at the hospital for major surgery - how sad is that!

I know how you feel!

Good luck, given your homework then I'm sure the results will meet your expectations - looking forward to the pics .....

Andy,

Let us see pictures of the finished article. My '89 carerra needs some TLC to the bodywork.

Ive heard good things about "Modern paint" in Beanham.

Andy,

Let us see pictures of the finished article. My '89 carerra needs some TLC to the bodywork.

Ive heard good things about "Modern paint" in Beanham.

Will do - waiting nervously for the dreaded call - when we cut out this bit we found..........!!? The owner is a Reading fan so with the result against Spurs he should have started work today in a very good mood.

Car not coming back until next week - they could have rushed it for a Saturday finish but I prefer them to take their time. Good news so far is no other problems found when they cut out the bad bits - phew :bowdown:

meanwhile I am playing with the sill covers. There are lots of stone chips and scratches as expected on the bottom of the outside with chipped and missing undercoat on the inside. Also rust around the mounting brackets:

SANY0002Small-1.jpg

SANY0003Small-1.jpg

On the front all along the top where the rubber strip covers slides on are lots of bubbles and rust:

SANY0005Small-2.jpg

Difficult to see on the picture with the flash but this is all bubbled paint.

Questions:

Recommendations on how to strip, prepare and re-paint these?

I have POR 15 black chasis coat would that do the outside?

I was going to use POR 15 on the inside to cover over the cracked and chipped undercoat.

First attempt at bodywork on any car so advice and guidance from experienced spanneraks welcomed.

Thought you may like to see this - it is one of the bolts that holds the sill covers on:

SANY0006Small.jpg

I decided to replace all of the bolts, screws and washers on the sill covers and was shocked to see how much this bolt had rusted. Can only assume the nylon spacers act as a water trap with this result as they were all very similar. In fact one sheared when i tried to take the covers off at first. How long before the bolts would snap?

My bolts are like new in there so must be salt that has done that kid, there's quite a bit of salt damage in your other pics. Good to see you getting on top of it. Regards painting your sill covers I would POR 15 the insides OK but get your painter to schutz and topcoat the outers, anything else will not match and will look cheap. Shouldn't ad that much to the cost to paint them too as he will have the gun loaded so is just time - about half an hour maybe if they are stripped and ready.

My bolts are like new in there so must be salt that has done that kid, there's quite a bit of salt damage in your other pics. Good to see you getting on top of it. Regards painting your sill covers I would POR 15 the insides OK but get your painter to schutz and topcoat the outers, anything else will not match and will look cheap. Shouldn't ad that much to the cost to paint them too as he will have the gun loaded so is just time - about half an hour maybe if they are stripped and ready.

Thanks JG - what is Schutz?

Pain is getting them to Reading in time as the paint is due to finish tomorrow. i will speak with him and see what he says.

Andy

I dont think the sill covers need those bolts at all as they are so light.

I replaced the rusty screws that fit under the rubber sill trim with new stainless ones, and didnt bother re-fitting the lower bolts.

It has held up for the past two years with no problems, and as you say, those bolts appear to create further water/dirt traps.

Also agree with John...wouldn't cost too much to have the bodyshop blast and respray those sill covers to match the rest of the paint.

Cheers

Anil

Edited by Anil

Ok here's the first look at the results. I got a call from Eric last night saying the car would be ready to pick up by lunch today. I got there early and he was having trouble putting the oil lines back in place as the rear stud had sheared - rust again just like the sill bolts. he put in a new insert and all appears fine. But it also gave me the chance to see that most of the clips in the arches and sils for the oil lines are shot - so that is another job on the list.

So here we go the before and after:

OS sill before - rotting through due to the crap collecting behind the pillar:

SANY0021Small.jpg

After - they cut out the rot and welded in a new piece, cleaned up the area behind the oil lines. re-pained everything with stoneguard coating and wax. Looks a bit better than before!

SANY0032Small.jpg

NS sill same problem as other side:

SANY0022Small.jpg

SANY0023Small.jpg

front OS Wing just about to snap off before:

SANY0018Small.jpg

After:

SANY0027Small.jpg

He also managed to get a bit more access to the kidney areas than i ever would with POR and a brush. Both kidneys have been cleaned out as best they could, coated in stoneguard underseal and waxed so hopefully I have managed to retard any rot in there.

The bit i did enjoy was having noticed that Eric was a bit miffed at his bloke for shearing the rear pipe stud (and then not telling the boss who had just told the customer to come get it!) I said - 'ok i'll put the kettle on and come and help'. I ended up as the apprentice, crawled around the car as we both managed to get the pipes secured again. Also got a bit of Eric's advice on polishing and recovering some of the other areas of the car. All whilst we drank tea and chatted about 911s and his rare Beamer cab (which he is selling if anyone is interested - £15K to an enthusiast only).

So I am a happy boy that he did not find anything worse than I had, glad that i got the kidney areas sealed and have learned lots more about the good and bad bits of the car.

Bottom line - quote was £500 and bill came to £600 + VAT of course if Boz is watching ;) with the additional work i asked for in the kidneys. I will post some more after a good wash and polish to see what it looks like in the daylight.

P.S. Anil turned up - nice to meet you - and he discussed his needs with eric. I'll let him update you on his bits and pieces.

Bargain Andy and nice job, good match. The overspray on the pipes is a bit unfortunate - get the scotchbrite out maybe!

Anil's bill won't be £600 plus tax or otherwise, that's for sure :(

Thanks JG - I can live with some overspray - if i ever sell i will show the pics and invoices for the work and not hide anything. I will clean up what i can when i am sorting the clamps on the pipes. did not make it with the sill covers to the shop so thay are a DIY job - taking Tim's lead and using the kitchen table to hand paint the POR but will spray outside - the wife did enquire as to what the feck i was doing - definately no nookie for a while!! :blink:

Bargain Andy and nice job, good match. The overspray on the pipes is a bit unfortunate - get the scotchbrite out maybe!

Anil's bill won't be £600 plus tax or otherwise, that's for sure

Hi Andy

It was good to see you and your 3.2 at Eric's place...car looked great.

I have mine booked in for the first week of December. Basically strip off both front wings, sill covers, front and rear bumpers and the rear light units to see the full extent of the damage. I can then decide how to proceed with the repairs.

Will keep you all posted in a new thread.

Cheers

Anil

Will keep you all posted in a new thread.

Give us plenty of pics there mate, we'll have a group hug when you get back from seeing your baby in bits. I don't think it's gonna be too pretty but we'll see what the guys say. Love that car ;)

gallery_1_2_62112.jpg

Give us plenty of pics there mate, we'll have a group hug when you get back from seeing your baby in bits. I don't think it's gonna be too pretty but we'll see what the guys say. Love that car ;)

I saw Anil and his car earlier today - wasn't looking quite so shiny :o

I believe he took the scenic route to the bodyshop yesterday :D

I saw Anil and his car earlier today - wasn't looking quite so shiny :o

I believe he took the scenic route to the bodyshop yesterday :D

To Tom Tom it's still a road? he ended up coming via some farmers track - "in 200 yds you have reached your destination - covered in Sh1t"!! He was still smiling when i saw him.

Looks good Andy - when's our next South West posse shin dig type thing?

Ian and i discusse that today. Depending on kids and weekends building up to Xmas we would like to get something together. Weather will play its part so be flexible. Will try and target a date soon.

Chaps,

Newsflash - car going back to the bodyshop!! I noticed they had missd a bit of underseal in the front wing repair and there are some marks on the wing that need a good polish. I spoke with Eric today and to give him his due he said to get the car back ASAP and he will sort it out including a polish. It appears there was a miscommunication between owner and worker bee last thursday i.e. worker thought it was a next week pick up and owner thought it was Saturday. Hence missing underseal and lack of polish.

Having looked at the repairs from the outside they are very good and you cannot see the join. Pity about this hassel but Eric sounds more pissed off than me. So i am now testing out their customer services and after sales care - so far the impression is that there will be no argument and the problems fixed.

I will report back.

Probably cos he thought he'd seen the last of your rusty old Porsche! :D;)

I resemble that. Casting doubts over the structural integrity of my beloved porka just becaus it had the odd spot of rot old chap dun't mean its all buggered. You cad.

It goes back in tomorrow and I'm sure eric will welcome it with open arms and powered rotary polisher. ;)

you resemble your rusty old Porsche?!?!

is that along the lines of the saying that some dog owners look like their dogs? :)

Perhaps - I too am old and grey. If that theory applies, JG is orange? Jevvy is faded, ian C is golden... anyone else?