Another SC sill corrosion thread!

I've been watching all the other threads with interest and finally got the courage up to start digging around at my drivers side sill two weeks ago which has gone from this;

P1020934.jpg

to this;

P1020950.jpg

I had it repaired a couple of years ago but I'm doing it myself this time and properly!! I hope.

I was getting a bit depressed today as the bits I was removing got bigger and bigger but it looks like I'm more or less there now and apart from some surface rust the kidney bowl is solid which I'm really pleased about :)

I plan on treating those parts with kurust and giving it a good coat of POR15 and then starting to fabricate peices a bit at a time I would appreciate any advice and support from you chaps as I come in and out of depression :(

Cheers

apart from some surface rust the kidney bowl is solid which I'm really pleased about :)

:huh: looks like you've cut the bottom of it out already. Anyway good stuff, it ain't rocket science and I actually enjoyed repairing mine.

Buy a replacement sill. You can use the end to do the bit where the sill joins the kidney bowl and the rest can be used for the bottom of the wing profile. It will save you fabricating too much. The dansk ones are an OK fit, but the panel quality isn't great - mine had quite a few undulations where the outer wing joins the sill top.

cut the kindney off square it will be easier to patch,treat with kurust and use something better than por ,zinc 182 from any local body parts place or epxoy primer.When its dried for a week go over it with Upol or Wurth stone chip paint 3 - 4 good coats

When you fab the missing sill bits over fab then use as a template, mark and recut the sill,that way you get a nice easy joint line to weld.IE Dont cut a hole and try and make a patch panel to fit.I would also use an end sill to make the panels its from much easier

Finally I would drill a small hole in the kdney fill with rustoleum paint or zinc rich primer leave to dry then fill with dinotrol and seal with a plastic plug

Finally I would drill a small hole in the kidney fill with rustoleum paint or zinc rich primer leave to dry then fill with dinotrol and seal with a plastic plug

Nick

Sorry for hijacking the thread - but - Mr P are you saying that the kidney can accumulate water internally? if it can would be a big worry :unsure:

Mine looked like they rotted from the inside out in places. Though the underseal had given away and was like a carrier bag of water around the bottom of the kidney bowl.

Edited by Nige

Nick

Sorry for hijacking the thread - but - Mr P are you saying that the kidney can accumulate water internally? if it can would be a big worry :unsure:

well they seem to rust from the inside out so certainly condensation,when you cut one open there is an oem hole into the inner tub that you should also blast full of wax oil

When we finished Northys at the weekend we took off the remaining stone chip paint on the sill to get a better line for new paint blending,on the stone chip part only there was rust under what seemed absolutley perfect paint but not on the non undersealed part.It was an exact line where the underseal started and finished ,I think this stuff goes porous over time and traps moisture.Naturally I wouldnt like to start any kind of rust paranoia on here:D

well they seem to rust from the inside out so certainly condensation,when you cut one open there is an oem hole into the inner tub that you should also blast full of wax oil

.Naturally I wouldnt like to start any kind of rust paranoia on here:D

Noted Nige & Mr P

Any photos of the OEM hole to the inner tub? ie is it easy to locate - blast of wax oil seems to be a very good idea indeed - I don't think anyone on here regularly is too paranoid about rot :rolleyes:

Andy's referring a hole into the inner sections/chassis behind the kidney bowl (its more shaped like George Foreman Grill drip tray in my opinion, nothing like a kidney). You can only access that hole by removing the kidney bowl and thus a chunk of the rear wing so don't worry about it unless you plan to do that. I'd be tempted to drill a 5mm hole into the kidney bowl high up and fill it with what Andy suggested. Then rubber bug it shut.

Original Equipment Manufacture

Heres the hole,you can also get into the inner tub via atorsion bar cover bolt hole and inside the car under the carpet onthe wheel well towards the front seats

On Northys we removed the torsion cover bolt went in with a lance and wax olied it to death.

Drive them hard to warm them up it doesnt just do the engine good it warms up the whole car thats why im staying with oe heater tube sthrough the sills

Bo Selecta !

6414_155805679304_701289304_3380117_1055056_n.jpg

Oh OK, so that pic Is the N/S of the car without the kidney In place yet then? It's always tricky with close ups to get your bearings on what's what. Think I get your meaning though. So Is It possible to remove the rear wheels on the 3.2 and drill a 5mm hole high up In the kidney and just lace It with wax? I suppose If you filled the kidney with hot wax It would then spill through the hole In to the car's guts?. I reckon maybe red hot wax then drive round a few B road's and roundabouts to whack It all around, then repeat the process. :steering:

Edited by 9hellheaven

Oh OK, so that pic Is the N/S of the car without the kidney In place yet then? It's always tricky with close ups to get your bearings on what's what. Think I get your meaning though. So Is It possible to remove the rear wheels on the 3.2 and drill a 5mm hole high up In the kidney and just lace It with wax? I suppose If you filled the kidney with hot wax It would then spill through the hole In to the car's guts?. I reckon maybe red hot wax then drive round a few B road s and road abouts to whack It all around, then repeat the process. :steering:

See those bolts on the right of the photo remove one and you can get into the tub from there,when you wax one up properly it smells for a few weeks then you either die of asphxyation or you get used to it and think its gone away.

All part of the ownership experience :morning:

I thought I'd be clever once and waxoiled the heat exchangers on my Beetle. Apart from having to put the flames as the waxoil burned off it did smell nice. They never did rust though and I never quite got rid of the smell either.

Yes, buy a couple of Dinitrol cans with the flexi nozzle extra and fill your cavities up. I think any of the bolt holes will do, though I think access might be easier using the bottom most forward fixing.

when you wax one up properly it smells for a few weeks then you either die of asphxyation or you get used to it and think its gone away.

Yep, mine stank for weeks after I had it, thanks to wax in the heater tubes sills. All sweet now.

Heres a good shot of the hole behind the kidney bowl;

P10209561.jpg

If you spray wax through here will it get into the whole internals of the body on both sides or would it be neccesary to do it from the other side as well?

Edited by nick