Blue exhaust smoke

sheep911uk

Hello all, following on from my previous not starting post, previously new battery fitted and now starts on the button however moved it from place of storage to home in preparation for mot I noticed a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust, should I be worried or is it a consequence of the car being stood for nearly 18 months without being started?

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned.

My car usually burns a bit of oil on start up if it has been left for a while.

Besides a bit of upper cylinder lubrication after a lay up isn'y exactly a bad thing.

Use it and monitor your oil consumption. 

10 hours ago, sheep911uk said:

Hello all, following on from my previous not starting post, previously new battery fitted and now starts on the button however moved it from place of storage to home in preparation for mot I noticed a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust, should I be worried or is it a consequence of the car being stood for nearly 18 months without being started?

Mine booked in for an MOT on Friday for the first time since 2013 😊

If you have a slight oil leak from your oil return tubes that may result in some oil finding its way onto the HEs. So as the HEs heat up this will burn off.

Just take it for a good drive - an hour is a good suggestion.

When my wife bought her Boxster we were sat in the Porsche dealership right at the end of the day completing the paperwork. The guys were moving the stock form the front of the showroom to their compound at the back. Watching that totally cured any sense of foreboding I had when I saw blue smoke on start up from my car. I was very surprised to see just how many of the very new cars had a bad smoking habit.

And sure enough my wife's Boxster smoked occasionally.

It's because the exchangers are at the bottom, so pretty much any engine oil weep is likely to end up there. However once it gets there the oil may not just drip off from the outside.

If you look closely at the them you can see that the exchanger headers come directly from the cylinder heads then "disappear" into the exchanger metalwork that shrouds the headers themselves. Oil that leaks onto the exposed uppermost section of the headers then travels down and becomes trapped / collects inside the exchanger cavity, in turn giving the false impression that the motor is burning oil when actually it's just the oil that has dripped inside the exchangers that is being burnt off.

That's why there's a very good chance a decent long drive might be all that's need for now, until you can establish the source of the leak or indeed if you are bothered about it. 

47 minutes ago, mean in green said:

It's because the exchangers are at the bottom, so pretty much any engine oil weep is likely to end up there. However once it gets there the oil may not just drip off from the outside.

If you look closely at the them you can see that the exchanger headers come directly from the cylinder heads then "disappear" into the exchanger metalwork that shrouds the headers themselves. Oil that leaks onto the exposed uppermost section of the headers then travels down and becomes trapped / collects inside the exchanger cavity, in turn giving the false impression that the motor is burning oil when actually it's just the oil that has dripped inside the exchangers that is being burnt off.

That's why there's a very good chance a decent long drive might be all that's need for now, until you can establish the source of the leak or indeed if you are bothered about it. 

Thank you

• 4 months later...

On warm up a 3.2 runs overly rich, this washes the oil from the valve guides which then burns off through the exhaust, whilst prematurely wearing out your valve guides.  Start it then drive it.