Newbie questions

Gio

Hi all,

So today I finally drove the wife's 3.2 Carrera properly, as opposed to driving back and forth off the driveway.. Seeing as the weather was so nice, I thought I would take her out.. Now I can see why people get hooked.. They are so engaging to drive, really loved it.. So some questions I wanted to ask please..

1) We have been looking at the Porsche Classic Sat Nav system, I see very mixed reviews online, especially value for money, however does anyone own one and testify whether they are any good? What are good alternatives?

2) Would it be a total sin for me to think about replacing the fabric on the seats. They are blue leather with blue wavy lines, is this a no no for keeping it completely original?  Quite like the hounds tooth pattern :)

Thanks Gio

I'm deleting my radio so not much help with #1 (I have a phone for nav anyway) but on #2 not sure what you mean, replacing fabric on a leather seat? 

If wanting to keep original, maybe remove and wrap the seats you have and buy another set in houndstooth? Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies, this is something we will probably look into next year.

Currently trying to figure out storage options and think we have found a decent place. Would like to understand when fellow owners store their cars? The dealer suggested not driving it through the winter, due to the grit and salt on the roads in the UK. The first sign of ground frost has our local roads gritted, is it just a matter of watching the forecasts and making a decision? Weather is still quite mild right now, so hoping maybe towards the end of October, early November, the later the better.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your first drive in the wifes 3.2, I bet there's a race to the keys as you leave the house together from now on :)

Where are you based? Quite a few people store their cars over winter these days so you might get a recommendation for somewhere to put the car (if needed)

I have a pair of blue seats I no longer need if of interest?

blueleatherseats01.thumb.jpg.805112d297b41d3a503ff0cc3d51ba30.jpgblueleatherseats02.thumb.jpg.861e76cfc46a1a284b37b1d1ff4f0b02.jpg

Mine are stored at home. I'm lucky I have the space.

Winter driving. Like you Gio, I was keen to drive my car all the time when I first bought my first Impact Bumper. Reading threads on here about corrosion put me off. I now only drive the IB's on unsalted roads. 

I feel I know your car a little from the JAZ ad. Either get it protected very well or best case, keep it out of salty, cruddy weather.

I ran mine all year round for about 5 years.  It's had the usual rusty places done within the past couple of years but they were beginning to show issues when I first purchased it over 10 years ago.  It isn't going to suddenly turn into a pile of rust after one winter so don't get too paranoid.  Lack of use can cause issues as well.  I kept mine under a good quality outdoor cover for a couple of years as well, though that creates it's own issues as well.  So unless you can keep it properly garaged then I'd be tempted to keep it in use on decent winter days.  Nothing like a cold crisp winter run, mine certainly has a spring in it's step with cold air running through it.

Sat Nav - I use my phone, at least then you can position it into view, not sure how that dinky screen on the Porsche version is going to be visible enough whilst driving?  It's not really in your line of vision, at least with a phone on windscreen mount it's an eye glance and not a full head turn down away from the road ahead.

Radio wise - I installed one of these, they look of the era enough but with all the modern bits you need.  They only about £140

https://www.continental-automotive.com/en-gl/Trucks-Buses/Interior-Cabin/Infotainment/Radios/FM-AM-Radio-with-CD-USB-Bluetooth 

Edited by Nige

22 hours ago, jevvy said:

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your first drive in the wifes 3.2, I bet there's a race to the keys as you leave the house together from now on :)

Where are you based? Quite a few people store their cars over winter these days so you might get a recommendation for somewhere to put the car (if needed)

I have a pair of blue seats I no longer need if of interest?

blueleatherseats01.thumb.jpg.805112d297b41d3a503ff0cc3d51ba30.jpgblueleatherseats02.thumb.jpg.861e76cfc46a1a284b37b1d1ff4f0b02.jpg

Many thanks for the offer Jevvy! Need to think a little more about changing the seats.. I have a place to store the car, it is a pretty nice, sharing space with some serious exotica and it is local, which is a real benefit!

22 hours ago, Nige said:

I ran mine all year round for about 5 years.  It's had the usual rusty places done within the past couple of years but they were beginning to show issues when I first purchased it over 10 years ago.  It isn't going to suddenly turn into a pile of rust after one winter so don't get too paranoid.  Lack of use can cause issues as well.  I kept mine under a good quality outdoor cover for a couple of years as well, though that creates it's own issues as well.  So unless you can keep it properly garaged then I'd be tempted to keep it in use on decent winter days.  Nothing like a cold crisp winter run, mine certainly has a spring in it's step with cold air running through it.

Sat Nav - I use my phone, at least then you can position it into view, not sure how that dinky screen on the Porsche version is going to be visible enough whilst driving?  It's not really in your line of vision, at least with a phone on windscreen mount it's an eye glance and not a full head turn down away from the road ahead.

Radio wise - I installed one of these, they look of the era enough but with all the modern bits you need.  They only about £140

https://www.continental-automotive.com/en-gl/Trucks-Buses/Interior-Cabin/Infotainment/Radios/FM-AM-Radio-with-CD-USB-Bluetooth 

The continental is a good shout and really looks period. I assume that you can Bluetooth an iPhone to it and hear the sat-nav commands through the speakers? I cannot help think the Porsche version is commanding a serious premium for the sake of a small badge.

13 minutes ago, Gio said:

The continental is a good shout and really looks period. I assume that you can Bluetooth an iPhone to it and hear the sat-nav commands through the speakers? I cannot help think the Porsche version is commanding a serious premium for the sake of a small badge.

They come in blue as well as orange but badged VDO like your dials  ... and yes Bluetooth streaming and hands free .. https://www.vdo.com/special-vehicles/audio-products/audio-products/

make sure you buy the 12v version 😁 

I purchased a Porsche Classic Sat Nav system from my local OPC as i was able to get PCGB membership discount which was a bonus. Iv been using the system now for around 6 months and overall i am happy with it. The system is not perfect and for price you are paying there are better systems on the market at a fraction of the cost.

The biggest selling point for me was that it looked period correct and did not stick out like a saw thumb as is the case with all other aftermarket radios i have looked at.

Pros

Aesthetics, Sat nav with voice commands, Bluetooth (Spotify streaming), USB/Iphone charging hub,

Cons

Price, Sat nav screen size, USB/Iphone only slow charges, No DAB

One last thing to take into account is that you may need to upgrade your speakers and radio antenna as they maybe past their best. With regards to the antenna i believe you have to remove the front windscreen on later model 911's (i maybe wrong).

On 10/3/2018 at 11:50 AM, Spongebob said:

SATNAV.thumb.jpg.f3e95af4e4ec5bf3910b0994679a8d9c.jpg

Thanks Spongebob, it does look very period and I have seen it in many cars, however I assume a smartphone with the right apps, like google maps or Waze hooked up to a VDO/Continental unit may be better and would cost a substantially less. I am seeing these at around £1,000 at the moment..

G