Back to square one - which exhaust (3.2 Carrera)?

11 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

Thanks Alex. Have left Ryan a voicemail.

I'm just stuck as to what works with the std heat arrangement. Have even been thinking of putting a stock system back on :( 

Looks like Hayward & Scott might be another option as their system seems to tie in with the 3.2 air control tube.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Hayward & Scott. A good friend of mine recently bought a full system from them and subsequently had to spend a load more ££ getting it reworked to make it fit. I think that this is generally the case with a lot of the 'off the shelf' exhaust solutions which is why I think that for the outlay that you are spending you can/should/deserve a bit more service and get a made to fit suit rather than off the peg!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/744869-964-refurb-63.html

Edited by ALEX P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Thanks SP. Think Nige’s is a three out? I’d like to keep it looking stock I think. Just toying with the idea. 

Negative - 

M&K don’t do heat exchangers - not quite accurate as RarlyL8 off pelican does them, but with similar pre-reqs to SSIs (oil lines, backdated heat)

At the risk of over thinking this....

To be honest I don't think I have completely ruled out SSIs - the heater backdate is additional expense (but still overall probably less than I'm into the Eisenmann system for) but they are a 'safe' purchase I feel. Perhaps not absolutely optimised for the 3.2 but, save for a SW chip, my engine is absolutely stock. I can finish the heater backdate whenever really - wouldn't stop me using the car.

So, thinking out aloud - if I went SSI HEs what silencer should I use? Buy the SSI set from Matthew at Type911 or, say, a silencer from TT exhaust? I really want to get the car back on the road as soon as I can - my target when I started on this work was Drive it day on April 28th - but I don't want to make a significant compromise just to hit that date. I believe Matt could supply the full SSI system for my to make the 28th - very tempting.

Other options?

Factory HEs with a TT silencer? Keeps the 3.2 heat as it is so simpler in that respect. An opportunity missed though by sticking with the factory HEs?

Bespoke looks interesting but my concern is how much more time the car will be off the road. Worth at least making a few calls on.

Hayward & Scott? - hmm, Alex's post has rattled alarm bells. And I think I recall Les at an early Dyno day with a H&S system not getting the benefits he expected.

Cargarphic? I'd like to know the pricing and availability. As Shirish pointed out maybe not many in the wild so is the fitment a question mark? There are also two options - ID40 or SSI based. I guess ID40 better, and not too large for a stock engine.

Given my experience with the Eisenmann system - the safe option of SSIs is sorely tempting.

Which way should I jump?

Have you seen this thread? 

Always ready to be shot down by those in the know but would you gain much from SSI's on a standard 3.2? If you went for standard stainless steel heat exchangers and a combination of pre silencer and back box to get the sound you need wouldn't you get 90 odd percent of what you're looking for with very little hassle?

Edited by Roy M

1 minute ago, Roy M said:

Have you seen this thread? 

Always ready to be shot down by those in the know but would you gain much from SSI's on a standard 3.2? If you went for standard stainless steel heat exchangers and a combination of pre silencer and back box to get the sound you need wouldn't you get 90 odd percent of what you're looking for with very little hassle?

Which thread?

3 minutes ago, Roy M said:

Sorry - added it

Thanks Yes, have spent many an hour reading past threads on here and on Pelican.

I am leaning more toward SSI. Who knows what engine mods might be downstream....

6 hours ago, SP72 said:

I posted previously, but Dansk/SSI were making a 41mmOD version back in 2017

Might not fit your timescales, but worth contacting them to see if its due any time soon.

http://catalogue.jpgroup.dk/pdf/PorscheDansk.pdf. (See p142)

Thanks Shirish. I have been looking for further info but haven't found anything.

Cargarphic offer a 40mmOD SSI type HE.

I have to say your logic around changing your exhaust seem a little flawed. Normally people go for an after market exhaust for several reasons. Save weight, increase power, backdate heat, more aesthetically pleasing. However, you want the heat to stay original and conventional wisdom is that SSIs on 3.2 don't produce much if any extra power. You may save a little weight but what's the point if you aren't doing that anywhere else (heat) so you are left with aesthetics. Seems to be a lot of extra cash for aesthetics under the car? Stick with original?

8 hours ago, SP72 said:

I posted previously, but Dansk/SSI were making a 41mmOD version back in 2017

Might not fit your timescales, but worth contacting them to see if its due any time soon.

http://catalogue.jpgroup.dk/pdf/PorscheDansk.pdf. (See p142)

These didnt make it Im afraid.

I'm still running 3.2 heat exchangers at the moment with TT new style muffler and pre muff.  You'd need to enquire about his new headers, not sure if heat is available yet.

1 hour ago, Phill said:

I have to say your logic around changing your exhaust seem a little flawed. Normally people go for an after market exhaust for several reasons. Save weight, increase power, backdate heat, more aesthetically pleasing. However, you want the heat to stay original and conventional wisdom is that SSIs on 3.2 don't produce much if any extra power. You may save a little weight but what's the point if you aren't doing that anywhere else (heat) so you are left with aesthetics. Seems to be a lot of extra cash for aesthetics under the car? Stick with original?

My logic for changing my exhaust wasn't flawed ;)

The original 30 year old exhaust called time so I had to do something. It is such a corroded mess that in effect it all needed replacing. 

Common wisdom on SSIs says that there is some benefit in the midrange. I'm challenging my own thinking on the heat. I definitely want to retain heat and would prefer to keep the 3.2 heating arrangement because it saves more work but I don't think this is any longer a show stopper for me re SSIs.

Who knows what I might do in the future with my car? It's currently on 76k miles so no need for a complete engine rebuild but top end work? New cams? I'd like an exhaust that could grow with the car not become a limitation.

I have an opportunity to do something other than stock. I rolled the dice on the Eisenmann system as it seemed to fit my requirements. Shame the quality is sh!te.

I'd like a little more noise I guess, but not something that's going to drone at a motorway cruise. Lighter is always good but not at the expense of longevity.

Right now I want to get a price and availability on the Cargraphic ID40 arrangement - if the price is OK and the availability is good then this is my favourite at the moment.

The big draw with the SSIs is they are a proven product, the availability and mid range gain.

1 hour ago, Type911 said:

These didnt make it Im afraid.

Shame - I wonder why?

13 minutes ago, Nige said:

I'm still running 3.2 heat exchangers at the moment with TT new style muffler and pre muff.  You'd need to enquire about his new headers, not sure if heat is available yet.

Nige, is your TT a standard one in? Is it just a case of removing the central bumper valance to stick a 2/3 out TT muffler on? 

15 minutes ago, Nige said:

Thanks Nige. Your car does sound good - but then how much of this is down to the twin outlet?

What does the seta of your pants dyno say?

17 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

Who knows what I might do in the future with my car? It's currently on 76k miles so no need for a complete engine rebuild but top end work? New cams? I'd like an exhaust that could grow with the car not become a limitation.

Not sure the logic works for me either. SSI's are supposed to be a great product on a 3.0 or standard 3.2 but the general thinking is that they will become the bottleneck if you decide to start tuning your 3.2 :twocents:

29 minutes ago, ALEX P said:

Not sure the logic works for me either. SSI's are supposed to be a great product on a 3.0 or standard 3.2 but the general thinking is that they will become the bottleneck if you decide to start tuning your 3.2 :twocents:

Have just had a very useful conversation with Ricard Thomas at TT Exhaust.

He's been talking to me about SSIs and why my logic is flawed :) 

Decision made I think - I'm going to go std HEs with a TT Exhaust pre-muffler & muffler. My only problem is the circa 6wk lead time. Just need to find an interim solution for the pre-muffler and muffler that can get the car back on the road. 

Need to see what's salvageable of my old system - can I use the back box?

58 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Nige, is your TT a standard one in? Is it just a case of removing the central bumper valance to stick a 2/3 out TT muffler on? 

Standard 3.2 h/ex so yes, 1 in.

You have to modify the lower rear valance which is attached to the bumper. Ian C has a central twin out with this modification.

43 minutes ago, SP72 said:

You have to modify the lower rear valance which is attached to the bumper. Ian C has a central twin out with this modification.

Thanks SP. Just read it through. Quite fancy a fruity muff-ler 🙈

1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

Just need to find an interim solution for the pre-muffler and muffler that can get the car back on the road. 

I've got a stainless sports pre- muffler in its box that you're welcome to borrow but I'm about 300 miles from you and go away next week for 3 weeks!

14 minutes ago, Roy M said:

I've got a stainless sports pre- muffler in its box that you're welcome to borrow but I'm about 300 miles from you and go away next week for 3 weeks!

Hi Roy - sounds great. I guess you are about to leave? 

Actually nearly a week to go - sorry clumsy phrasing. Also got a split crossover pipe but no jointing clamp if that's any use. If you need them let me know as they're in the garage loft and we've got quite a lot on before we go.

Cheers

Roy

7 minutes ago, Roy M said:

Actually nearly a week to go - sorry clumsy phrasing. Also got a split crossover pipe but no jointing clamp if that's any use. If you need them let me know as they're in the garage loft and we've got quite a lot on before we go.

Cheers

Roy

Would love to borrow your pre-muffler please - solves one problem for me!

9 hours ago, SP72 said:

You don't need to alter the valance for the new style muffler.  Its works with both impact and pre impact bumpers without cutting.

Edited by Nige