911 R & SC/RS style muffler

• 1 year later...

@ WP0 did you ever find the RSR style box? I've been hunting around again but not found what i'm looking for.  :(

Dansk do the 2in 3out but still cant get my head around the bagpipe look.

See the source image

Would be better if they hid the 3rd pipe under the body a bit, maybe pointing down. Though this was a good remedy attempt by someone to hide it

See the source image

Edited by MarkJ

Mark, if got a 2 in 1 out lurking in my garage. Perfect to be modified for a 3 out. I’ve got two centres on mine with a shortened side exit and a black tip.  I’m biased but I think it sounds great. Proper 911 raspy.  My spare owes me about £150. I’d let it go for a ton…?  For reference I think modifying mine cost about 80 at local fabricators. 

Thanks for the offer Lewis, might be an option if I don't find what i'm looking for new. Wouldn't the inside gubbins need to be re-orientated for efficient flow as well? I assume they are designed/built in such a way to suit the inlet/outlet configuration?

• 3 months later...

an ST look option?

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/pc1110098-ssi-racing-rear-exhaust-silencer-twin-outlet.html

usual porsche tax applies for a simple back box :rolleyes:

says 'for racing only' so not sure if that means they are straight through exits or just them covering themselves against 'obnoxious' street use :D

Whenever i check compatibility on several of these back boxes it always says its for earlier models. Is that void because i have race headers anyway? or does it mean the inlet pipes are smaller diameter and hence wont match upto my header diameter? (for a 3.2)

As they are not TUV approved they say race use only

It will fit cars with SSI heat exchangers on 

A bit cheaper here;

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/50882

😋

didnt know you stocked that, nice to know.  :)

Do you know what diameter the inlets are Matt?  (as SSI's come in a couple of different diameters i think). I need to get underneath and measure my header pipes.

On 13/10/2021 at 10:13, MarkJ said:

Thanks for the offer Lewis, might be an option if I don't find what i'm looking for new. Wouldn't the inside gubbins need to be re-orientated for efficient flow as well? I assume they are designed/built in such a way to suit the inlet/outlet configuration?

Sorry Mark, I missed this. 

Here is the theory: 

911+Sport+Muffler+mods1219261757.jpg

In practice, I didn't not torch those holes (I think they're if you are sealing off the existing tailpipe.   Mine just comes in the bottom half of the muffler and straight out the middle. 

9 hours ago, gt two said:

My twin exit ST style FVD exhaust will be here in a couple of weeks. Will post some pics and a vid.

Will this fit a IB car? Looks like it was made for a pre IB car.

You may be required to modify the seam along the rear edge to allow the silencer to fit around the engine cradle, align with the strap retainers and manifolds.

If the pic in the link is correct it's not just the rear valance, you will also run into this....

On 02/02/2022 at 06:49, Leicestershire said:

You may be required to modify the seam along the rear edge to allow the silencer to fit around the engine cradle, align with the strap retainers and manifolds.

Let's hope the pic is not correct!

Mark

Looks like it will fit fine..............................................should do at that price!

• Like 1

Depends on the engine mount cradle fitted to the engine.

I thought the cradle had been changed to the later 3.2 type to accommodate the size of the timing wheel, i.e. the wider one on the right in the pic below.

EngineMount911a1119918490.jpg.e7cd01711f056ce8ca3f20037d83363c.jpg

If so, the back of the exhaust needs a clearance recess as shown in the centre of the two below. The long depression running most of the bottom length of the box (they are upside down in the pic) is to fit around the air distribution tube of the 3.2 type heating system, so should not be an issue. Two in, or one in configuration makes no difference to the clearance needed.

DSCN2774.thumb.JPG.27ee7f6554f6b81d0997362b563c5339.JPG

Mark

39 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

I thought the cradle had been changed to the later 3.2 type to accommodate the size of the timing wheel, i.e. the wider one on the right in the pic below.

If so, the back of the exhaust needs a clearance recess as shown in the centre of the two below. The long depression running most of the bottom length of the box (they are upside down in the pic) is to fit around the air distribution tube of the 3.2 type heating system, so should not be an issue. Two in, or one in configuration makes no difference to the clearance needed.

Mark

With a standard Dansk / Porsche type silencer as pictured above, it doesn’t matter if its a 3.2 or SC mount. The silencer needs the indent to allow correct fitment. Many have made early '2 in' silencers fit by massaging the rear with a hammer.

FVD know their stuff. They must have made allowances in other areas - perhaps longer inlets??

Or as above the photo differs from what they supply.

2 hours ago, SilverWT said:

Mark

Narrow cradle is still on the car. Later cradle still for sale ;)

On 01/02/2022 at 15:52, Type911 said:

As they are not TUV approved they say race use only

It will fit cars with SSI heat exchangers on 

A bit cheaper here;

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/50882

😋

That's exactly the SSI that I ended up buying. It looks great and the tips look similar to those in a 911 ST. Haven't fitted it yet but I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

The steel straps for the muffler were too short as they are barely able to go around the muffler when it's out of the car. Do you guys know if anyone is selling straps that are longer than standard?

Edited by WP0ZZZ