Bugs 77

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, have decided to overhaul the air conditioner, it's a much needed item in this neck of the woods if you want to take the car out in summer.

The car came with factory air, the under dash vent setup, and that's the only original bit that stays. There will be three new condensers (an extra one goes in the passenger rear wheel arch), all new hoses, blower motors, exchanger and compressor, everything.

It's going to cost a fortune but it's do it right or rip it out.

Pulled out all the gear and have set about cleaning up the car ready for installing the the new stuff, had to peel away some under seal in the forward condenser area and treat some surface rust, all the metal was solid so happy about that.

Sent all the fasteners and bits for the hoses to be re-plated, along with some other bolts from up front and powder coated the two front suspension brackets.

While mucking around up front I also replaced the tie rods with Turbo ones and made up some better brackets to secure the oil lines more neatly, was looking a bit agricultural.

post-1087-0-61055700-1470570332_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

All the air-con is in and works really well, a case of new compressor, all new modern condensers (including an extra one with fan mounted in the left rear wheel arch) new lines and exchanger/blower all fed through the factory under dash vent system. Hate to say it but it's probably the best performance upgrade I've ever made, it blows truly icy cold. The only thing is Jonny Hart has come up with what is, I think, a neater system that I may have gone for if I knew about it before I went this way. Never mind, I installed one of his Classic Retro fuse panels to tidy up what had been altered during the cars rally days.

To continue to get the car back to a more 74  spec I refinished the wheels to expose the petals, sanded off all the paint and anodizing on them, leaving the outer rim alone as they were in good condition, brought the petals up to a 400 sanded finish and masked them off, repainted the centers black then satin clear coated over the black and petals once the masking was removed. The result was a reasonably close imitation of anodized petals so pretty happy.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

40 minutes ago, Bugs 77 said:

It's OK Doc, it is me. Hadn't been on here a while and couldn't get on again with the new format so I had to make up a new name, getting it sorted now.

:signs118:

Thanks, just chipping away at it.

I want to remove the side indicators (been added and aren't wired up any more) and fit the correct side mirrors that I have, but that means welding up the old holes which would mean respraying which would mean pretty much going the whole hog and bear metaling the whole car and respraying to colur match. The car has never had a full respray, the roof, front and rear window surrounds are still original! 

The car has a nice patina and you don't have to stress if you take it shopping, I might cheat a bit short term and remove the indicators and carefully glass and fill their holes but instead of painting the guards put a period Gulf, Tag Heuer or red Mobil flying horse sticker over the patch.

Just started to remove the rear seats and seatbelt hardware and am thinking of making a luggage shelf with the two "cubby hole" doors that make handy storage bins below it. The 3.2 CS have this option, anyone got pics of this so I have something to go on. I'd like to trim the back out the same as a CS.

Also I checked the cars numbers out and discovered that although the car is very original the engine is not the original as everyone that knew it (including me) where led to believe. The plan had been to drag the 2.7 up to Carrera spec and retain matching numbers, but now I think it may be best to build a nice 3.4ltr motor. Coupled to its short ratio 915 should make for a great street car.  Would also mean that I'll need to up the anti in the braking department. The end result will be a good fun car that feels and sounds great, I did have a week moment and was considering going modern (Cayman S or GTS, 996 Turbo, along those lines) but at the price I was able to get this car for originally and with how the aircooled values have gone nuts, I wouldn't even be over capitalizing making the mods. Might slip the 2.7 in the Kombi later.

So I'm on the lookout for a 3.2 motor to develop, good thing being I can still drive the car right up to transplant time. So plenty to report on in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a couple of jobs done,

IMG_1103.JPG.23c464cd3a85ef4ffadb78953b44aab3.JPG

bought some tunk carpet and made some fresh liners for the boot. Used the old ones for templates and made better cutouts for the strut brace, bound the edges for a nicer finish too.

IMG_1104.JPG.2eb79c6e7e9ff4130e5be26f1129b377.JPG

One of Jonny Harts fuse panels fitted, if you're there Jonny you can check to see if I got everything in the right spot.

IMG_1101.JPG.edcb7e943f35ab6481fb34b94f1bc6ea.JPG

Removed the back seats and belts, made and fitted a semi lightweight carpet interor, still got the sound deadening in place.

The belts had been fitted later (97 according to the tags on the belts) and not that neatly, the rear pacel shelf had holes chewed out roughly to fit them. The lower seat padding was disintigrating too, looked like a rats nest under them so it was nice to clean that all up.

A question, as you can see there are four attachment points (two up on the parcel shelf and two on the fronts of the back seat area). I gather these are for straps to keep luggage secure. Has anyone ever seen or heard of the offical straps if they exist?

Yes Bug77

I'm from a longhood background - have seen them installed (or rather photographs). Mind you they're always on "display" type cars, rather than hard-used and well enjoyed cars ;)

Also have a look at Sierra Madre Collection, they have proper luggage straps in leather for $170

On 23/10/2017 at 4:32 AM, Bugs 77 said:

Got a couple of jobs done,

IMG_1103.JPG.23c464cd3a85ef4ffadb78953b44aab3.JPG

bought some tunk carpet and made some fresh liners for the boot. Used the old ones for templates and made better cutouts for the strut brace, bound the edges for a nicer finish too.

IMG_1104.JPG.2eb79c6e7e9ff4130e5be26f1129b377.JPG

One of Jonny Harts fuse panels fitted, if you're there Jonny you can check to see if I got everything in the right spot.

IMG_1101.JPG.edcb7e943f35ab6481fb34b94f1bc6ea.JPG

Removed the back seats and belts, made and fitted a semi lightweight carpet interor, still got the sound deadening in place.

The belts had been fitted later (97 according to the tags on the belts) and not that neatly, the rear pacel shelf had holes chewed out roughly to fit them. The lower seat padding was disintigrating too, looked like a rats nest under them so it was nice to clean that all up.

Can you make any more of those boot carpets....

1 hour ago, Ian Comerford said:

Also have a look at Sierra Madre Collection, they have proper luggage straps in leather for $170

Can you make any more of those boot carpets....

You know he is in Oz right?

Yes Ian I can, but I'm along way from you and logistics may *beep* things up a bit.

Simple to make, surely someone there can make some nice ones. I made these as I have all the gear being a sailmaker and reading the reviews on what you could buy the fit or placement of the press studs can be a bit out, plus add freight getting them here (I may as well be in the south pole) it made sense to make my own and bling them a little.

• 4 months later...

Been chasing down a few electrical gremlins, go them sorted :)

Fitted a new exhaust, Dansk race headers (no heater boxes) and a S/S Monty 2 in 2 out GT3 style muffler.

Had to trim the rear valance to suit and we grafted on a section of valance corner and trimmed back the lower rear panel and reformed the edge so it was like the other side, to blank off the stock exhaust cutout. Just abit of smoothing and painting to go.

Sounds awesome.

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.9b960535a957ad26affb355e265b6a5d.JPGIMG_0060.thumb.JPG.30641e45ff33a3b719949930f1b9ab18.JPGIMG_0061.thumb.JPG.4d83619d36297462eb790fe1c948ad5b.JPG

• 2 months later...

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.97d60798d5ea2629af85b6d20544c573.JPG

Did a quick touch up of the rear valance to tie things over for a bit.

The car has four new tyres and had an alignment, transformation plus. The old tyres where from 1991.

With the new exhaust you can hear every firing of every cylinder, and every misfire too! Even cruising on light throttle there has been some popping from the exhaust so I fitted a new set of spark plug leads and changed the CDI unit over to one I had in the cars spare parts collection, it was much better coming into work this morning. I think I will be investing in one of Jonny's CDI boxes though, it's got to be better yet again.

Having said that I'm really enjoying the car as is, just about to get in and head home :)