GT3/Singer style backbox options

If the inlets on a GT3 box are not std SSI width, then its a ballache + ££ to make work.  On the green car photo, you can see the custom pipes from headers to GT3 box in order to make it work.

4 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

What is inside the factory fitted back box?

Lots of pipework + baffles.  They are heavy and quiet.

3 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

If the inlets on a GT3 box are not std SSI width, then its a ballache + ££ to make work.  On the green car photo, you can see the custom pipes from headers to GT3 box in order to make it work.

I have cut both original Porsche and Dansk. Older models were thicker steel and some were double skinned but internally a standard spec Dansk is almost identical to a standard Porsche item. 

7 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Come on RB - Where's your sense of adventure?

It really isn't that complicated. Cut the SSI's back to the straight section just before the bend after the merge collector and weld on an off the shelf connector to take a V-band clamp.

Next is 2 x simple connecting pipes into the silencer. You can even weld connectors onto the pipe you cut off the SSI's to revert back to standard if you wished to do so.

It really shouldn't be more that a few hours work, couple of clamps, connectors and bends for a competent welder or exhaust place.

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned 2 MK mufflers, I can vouch for the quality and LW.  I don't know the current internal spec, but I found them too loud for UK track noise limits and very loud on the road - I needed to run tailpipe inserts and/or drive with earplugs.  Similar to what I faced with TT mufflers but easier to work with Rich because he is in the UK.  You basically have very little internal volume to work with if you use this type of design.

Its possible to make it work and we all have our own tolerances for noise, but just a word of caution.

The current TT mufflers that are having final tweaks on my car are very different to before, casings are different and they're not unlike the real GT3 muffler internally, sound great too.  

I have to say of all the silencers I've tried on mine (read "lots") the M&K is the both the best fitting and second to none in terms of manufacturing quality.

Some I have tried should be considered for action under the trade descriptions act.

1. Great to see fellow enthusiasts across the pond enjoying our performance systems!  I really enjoy participating on the boards when I get a few extra moments.  We do a lot of business in Europe, with individuals and shops, and have developed our ST (street) line of mufflers specifically to address lower sound limits for tracks and municipalities.  One of the shops we work with is Machine Revival in France.  We have built a few "quiet" mufflers for them as well as custom builds and hybrid Street/Sport mufflers.  Our Street mufflers have slightly longer bodies that allow for more baffling without any reduction in flow (pictured below).  Quite a bit of dyno time was put in to find that sweet spot where the sound level was significantly reduced but the sound quality remained the same.  That scream towards redline needed to remain even if a bit muted.  Feedback has been all positive with the only complaint being that we need to get the word out that these are available.  I need to read up on any forum rules so as not to step on toes and apologize in advance if I have done so. 

M34ST installed.JPG

1 hour ago, mean in green said:

I have to say of all the silencers I've tried on mine (read "lots") the M&K is the both the best fitting and second to none in terms of manufacturing quality.

I liked mine as well (1 in,1out): didn’t drone, wasn’t LOUD, but didn’t excite the eardrums either. :rolleyes:

Yes the OEM heat exchangers on the SC and Carrera leave something to be desired when it comes to a more tuned sound quality.  We have developed an Active Exhaust System for that application that improves both performance and sound.  It's adjustable so you control the sound level.

IMG_2882.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 8:21 PM, Northy said:

I think a 911 on SSIs with a dansk box is the early 911 sound.  They should sound raspy and give you that howl at the top end.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:21 PM, Northy said:

I remember hearing @GaryH on track at Silverstone and thinking it sounded perfect for an old 911.  🙂

Edited by GaryH

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, SP72 said:

Cheaper than I thought.

Big Al, I’ll give it a go if you can make it line up, single exit - I see you’re not busy right now :)

Many, many thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-TOP-ORIG-Porsche-911-997-GT3-991-GT3-GT3RS-Schalldämpfer-Auspuff-Silencer/283328469132?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

:whistling: