Tankman's Turbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heehee. Plucky Brit Spirit! Thanks Gordon, made me smile this morning when I read your thread about selling your beloved Porsche.

It's only a cursed pile of metal because of my disappointment about Slovenia. It's my own fault really.

Oil Pump

Camshafts

Followers

Valves

Springs

Collets

Guides

Pistons

Barrels

Shells

Little end bearings

Oil pipes

Intergear main and crank

Chains

It would be quicker to say I retained the original crank, crankcase connecting rods and heads. Virtually everything else is new. So considering all that, the fact I didn't invest in a new oil cooler is down to me.

The fantastic car in my garage is suffering from teething troubles brought about by my persistence in getting it to a point where there are no more teething troubles. The gearbox oil leak was, again, my fault. When I had the gearbox rebuilt, it was filled with oil to the brim whilst the 'box was on its side to protect it whilst in storage. I forgot about that and the oil would have been pushed out through the breather when it finally got used.

When the oil cooler is sorted, there should be very little left mechanically. It's got new rear calipers, new Bilsteins all round. It needs a little tweak on the geometry and some cosmetics where it's been in and out of workshops. All the things expected really from a rebuild of this type.

Driving it the other day and the turbo spooling up, I was reminded why I have persisted for so long with it. You'll understand when you come out in it with me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sportwagen Eckert delivered new oil cooler the other day, so it's time to drop the engine again. I have also bought some Zircotec heat shield to put on the tinware around the turbo and exhaust. There are a lot of gaps around this area creating heat soak, raising engine bay temperatures and ultimately affecting efficiency.

Who knows, I may get to drive it for more than 1000 miles this year.

I might even get to drive it for more than 2000 miles without having to drop the engine again? Stranger things have happened you know.

• 1 month later...
Have you put it in a giant tray of kitty litter just in case? ;)
It doesn't hide oil leaks that well you know. At least those the size of the Amoco Cadiz anyway. Ask VT.
Have you put it in a giant tray of kitty litter just in case? ;)Ouch! :-o
Have you had DEFRA out to yours yet?
Your car's back Tank ????? :o
Yes it is Gary and on those BBS 16's it is a better ride than my Clio.

It doesn't hide oil leaks that well you know. At least those the size of the Amoco Cadiz anyway. Ask VT.

It's true. We just finished cleaning the last sparrow this week. Amazing capacity these 911 systems.

• 2 years later...

Waiting for Twinny to add a comment about driving the turbo last week . . .

Bet he loved it as having a roof wouldn't have messed up his hair :cool:

Mark, glad to see you have the love back for your turbo

Waiting for Twinny to add a comment about driving the turbo last week . . .

Bet he loved it as having a roof wouldn't have messed up his hair :cool:

Mark, glad to see you have the love back for your turbo

Sorry about the delay, only just got out of therapy. During the last session the doc asked me to analogise my experience driving Tankmans Turbo.This scene flew into my mind.....

:blink:

VT