Group Buy Arch Liners - Rerun

FishyDave

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a concern, rightly or wrongly, - the inside rear edge of the 'plastic' liner is quite close to the exhaust pipping, say 3-4 inches away.

Here is how far mine is away from the exhaust. Never a problem.

null_zpsa814b6b9.jpg

Just noticed that if you leave the new liners in the sun (yes its that yellow object that sometimes appears in the sky!!) for a little while, that they become far more flexible and are really easy to man-handle into the wheel arches.

Good to read that the fitting has started. :)

Sadly I won't ever experience this as my car has sold and I believe is going to be worked on at Doms. I will be sticking around here and am happy to continue to help. I have ordered six more sets which will be enough to fulfil those guys waiting and gives a couple of spare sets if anyone else would like liners.

Regards, Dave :)

Drinky,

Could you possibly post some detailed pictures of the finished installation?

I started offering my set up to the car, but realised that some major surgery would be involved to make them fit. I decided that his would not end well, so the liners are back in the box awaiting another day.

Thanks

Hi Bodmin,

I've fitted a set to my son's '79 SC.

The rears required quite a bit of surgery.

I did the ns rear first and instead of folding the front end forward, I cut it off (same on the os - see photo of the part I cut off). On the os rear, I needed to take about 11/2 inches out for it to fit as it appeared to be too long, so cut it and overlapped it, re-joining it with glue and small nuts & bolts. and both now fit almost perfectly.

post-11482-0-38374800-1404641398_thumb.jpg

The fronts were much easier. - I fitted a small bracket at the top, on the ns one, attached to the self-tapping bolt holding the washer bottle filler pipe bracket (which I discarded)

On the os, I attached a bracket to the top 'self tapping' screw holding the wing on.

To attach the liner to the brackets, I used one of the self tapping clips (like the ones which are used to hold the front wings on, part no: 999 591 327 01, I think), which just clip on to the bracket, so that you can put the self tapping screw (Part no: 900 187 010 03, I think) through the liner into the bracket and is easily removed, should you need to. See photo.

I used 'rescue washers' from B&Q!

post-11482-0-74787700-1404641306_thumb.jpg

I found that once you have done the first liner, you get much bolder with the next ones.

If you make a mistake, you can always attached a repair piece to fill the gap (as I have done) - no one will notice!

Good luck!

Richard

I did the ns rear first and instead of folding the front end forward, I cut it off (same on the os - see photo of the part I cut off). On the os rear, I needed to take about 11/2 inches out for it to fit as it appeared to be too long, so cut it and overlapped it, re-joining it with glue and small nuts & bolts. and both now fit almost perfectly.

I just used the sill trim bolt to hold the forward end of the rear trims on.

Did the same as you for the fronts, but used cable ties in place of self tappers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Beaky,

You should give him a ring first as he now operates from his house and he is not always there.

0208 9504694. 35 (or maybe 33) Albany Close Bushey, WD23 4S9.

It didn't have a product code, but I'm sure he will remember me as we discussed his recent prostate operation in some detail( be warned!).

I took one of the liners with me to see which extrusion would be best suited and he recommended this simple U shaped one which, at the moment (as I haven't had time to start fitting them yet) looks perfect.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Richard

Beaky,

Sorry, I couldn't read my own writing - the post code should end in 'G' not '9' .

So it should be WD23 4SG

Regards,

Richard

Pick up my trimming today, the Guy has made a note of which one fits best in for future reference.

Also agreed with Chris at 911 Bodyshop to have them fitted once he's cleared some backlog work

A quick update for those waiting for the next small batch of liners: I am collecting them this Saturday and will get them couriered out to you next week. I have two sets which are unsold if anyone would like a set; this will likely be my last as most people have them now.

Best regards, David

I've been to collect the last batch of liners today, it was so hot in the old Peugeot with no AC, phew! I will aim to get them to work sometime this week so they can be collected by UPS from there (no in laws to help stay in for a collection this time).

I have 7 sets of which 5 are sold -

Anil

Mac911 x2

Rustybum
Puddy1

This leaves a final two sets available if anyone would like them?

Thanks, Dave

This leaves a final two sets available if anyone would like them?

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

I'll take a set if you don't mind shipping to Sweden, and the added shipping cost is reasonable.

/Peter

Five sets have just been collected by UPS, so the following members should receive their liners tomorrow or Wednesday (scheduled for Wednesday but some seemed to arrive early last time).

Anil

Mac911 x2

Rustybum
Puddy1

Thanks Mac :)

Well, that concludes the group buy, all liners are now sold and have left the building! Thank you to you all for making this relatively painless with everyone giving clear instructions and paying at once. A pity I never got the pleasure (!) of fitting them myself, but that's my fault for selling the car! I hope they do the job and help preserve your beautiful cars for years to come. If anyone wants to order more liners they can get in touch, but I will need at least 6 orders before proceeding again due to the amount of running around required.

I would like to say a huge thank you to Dom as without him donating the templates and giving his blessing it would have been that much harder to get the whole thing started.

I will drop in here from time to time, but I hope you'll understand that my new focus for the next two years is on my racing Elise, after which I intend to return to IB ownership assuming the prices haven't gone beyond my reach. Whilst the weather is so good I will aim to arrange another SW meet at the Rowdey Cow over coming weeks.

Lastly, anyone wanting to come along to Classic Sports Car Club race meetings are welcome to get in touch and I'll see what I can do for you with tickets (plenty of racing 911s to watch).

Best regards, David

I didn't partake as I already have a set of Dom's original liners but you deserve an IB award for coordinating this, especially with the collective ££££ (ie kidney bowls) you could save owners :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave,

I picked up my set at the UPS pick up point yesterday. They arrived in good condition, but I was a little surprised by how small they were compared to the ones that are fitted to my 928.

Anyway, thanks!

/Peter

• 1 month later...

I only added brackets as I thought I could hear the front liners rubbing against the inner wings when going over speed bumps.

Turned out it was the front suspension that needed re-lubricating...