Richard Bernau

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

still enjoying the empty roads :D

no change in our work policy, (rightly or wrongly) nearly everyone is still in apart from the odd snow-flake who never misses the chance for an excuse to skip work. But is a little daft as its very easy for our whole firm to work from home. Old school directors.

Saw a great quote yesterday to calm the hysteria.  'Remember, your grand folks were asked to go to war (for 6 years!), you are being asked to sit on a sofa for two weeks'  :morning:

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Question for Gary and Fred, why do you choose to live in this country if you don't like how the government runs it so much ?

There are plenty of other countries to live in, life is too short to be so bitter about your slice of the pie, I feel sad for both of you ☹️

That is why I left this country when Brexit got voted. I was basically out a few month later despite loving the country. I am not bitter, I feel sad for the people who get suffocated by this tory government. I was lucky to be able to move on to better things some don't have that opportunity. 

Easy to look at it when you are minted and have secured enough money for your future. Not so fun for the average punter like I was when I was I the UK. 

But, should people have to fly away from their own country because they disagree with their government? 

One of my staff came in this morning and has said the Schools by us are closing Friday. She has 3 kids. So off for two weeks then Easter for 2 weeks. Is it hysteria? Mass prevention. Who knows. 

2 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

You can be critical of govt and still choose to live here. Not mutually exclusive. 

Why are you not critical? I know you apply critical thought to your job, so why not govt policy (semi serious question). 

Good questions RB

I’m super critical at work, especially hard on my own work

I don’t apply it to government policy as I don’t have all the facts so have no idea what the best decisions for the majority would be and also I’m not arrogant enough to think I could do a better job when only armed with hindsight or a small fraction of the facts

More importantly most people on a car forum are really not interested in opinions about politics

This thread should be about everyone looking after each other, keeping people up to date with local situations, offering constructive advice, looking at the positives etc,

It’s quite disappointing a few people haven’t worked that out yet!

On the positives...… drive in was awesome this morning and I can see my man cave build progressing over the next few weeks 😎

Jonny, good point on the pollution, have you seen the NASA data for before/during COVID-19 maps over Wuhan and Northern Italy 

Edited by World Citizen

I don't see the point of making this a political finger pointing exercise. CV 19 is here and surely it's far more constructive to discuss the way forward? Prevention, self isolation, coping strategies rather than political failures (of which all parties have too many to count). 

If you've moved abroad, lucky buggers. Hope its sunny in your self isolation. Makes not a jot of difference to the Virus but you might get a ventilator if you need one (and lets hope none of us or our loved ones do!) 

We crossed there WC. Spot on. Lets keep this Car and Virus related. Did I just say that?! 

2 minutes ago, Busybee said:

I don't see the point of making this a political finger pointing exercise. CV 19 is here and surely it's far more constructive to discuss the way forward? Prevention, self isolation, coping strategies rather than political failures (of which all parties have too many to count). 

I noticed a sea change in the twitter and social media feeds at the weekend, all the same negative/toxic politicking and finger pointing Boris Bashers by the same people that forecast the UK imploding due to Brexit :rolleyes: ...good old Guardian readers and lefty liberals :P 

Politics...pfft. This is a cool car forum :)

23 minutes ago, Busybee said:

If you've moved abroad, lucky buggers. Hope its sunny in your self isolation. Makes not a jot of difference to the Virus but you might get a ventilator if you need one (and lets hope none of us or our loved ones do!) 

We crossed there WC. Spot on. Lets keep this Car and Virus related. Did I just say that?! 

Pretty nice where I live at the moment. Indeed viruses have no borders. 

DSC_0023.JPG

Looks a bit chilly but very beautiful Fred. Where is that?

On the car front, have one of these on the way soon. Woohoo! Cheers SP 👍:steering:

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-14 at 19.54.51.jpeg

Can you wipe over with hand sanitiser before posting please mate? 😂

7 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Looks a bit chilly but very beautiful Fred. Where is that?

On the car front, have one of these on the way soon. Woohoo! Cheers SP 👍:steering:

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-14 at 19.54.51.jpeg

Can you wipe over with hand sanitiser before posting please mate? 😂

Savoie. From les Arcs 2000 that one. 

But from today onwards, I am on a lock down on a superyatch in Antibes... Tough life! Lol

Why does everyone think finger pointing is political?  We have a govt, who are in charge.  They have demonstrably messed up on the policy response whether that is the fault of Imperial College modelling (now modelling 8 x the demand for ICU beds vs capacity) or whatever they have still messed up. As demonstrated by the complete policy u-turns we are seeing AND the  lack of clarity in advice (ie., are restaurants etc closed or not?) AND the lack of thinking thru consequences (denying business access to business continuity insurance by not being clear in advice).  Prediction - get ready for more policy u-turns.

Anyone seriously defending this govt's response is arguably making a much larger political statement.

People are critical because there is an abundance of material to criticise, not to make a political point or at least not just to make a political point.  I personally have little faith that a Corbyn govt would be more competent (though probably more compassionate).  I don't think I am being political - could be wrong :) 

54 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

How are you feeling Nige?

Fine, just a tickly cough, slight runny nose but nothing persistent with no temperature.  Feels like a mild seasonal cold, no worse than yesterday.  Though get some looks from the office if I cough more than once an hour.

Going swimming at lunchtime so that should sort the germs out.

Not really very constructive is all RB. Better off putting your energies into building a bunker. If you really want to be critical, be critical of China who delayed for an age before letting the world know they (now the big WE) had a problem. Old Boris is being led by his advisers and I dare say they know a bit more than you and I about the virus, how its spreading and what they need to do to contain the situation. Yesterdays announcement was a stopgap to minimise panic. Lockdown loading by this weekend 

17 minutes ago, Nige said:

Fine, just a tickly cough, slight runny nose but nothing persistent with no temperature.  Feels like a mild seasonal cold, no worse than yesterday.  Though get some looks from the office if I cough more than once an hour.

Going swimming at lunchtime so that should sort the germs out.

Good stuff. Prob is we got spring coming with the usual hayfever stuff 

5 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Good stuff. Prob is we got spring coming with the usual hayfever stuff 

That's what it feels like to me, also spent all last Thursday, Friday and Saturday building a new shed so was out in all the varying weather conditions.

3 hours ago, Nige said:

Going swimming at lunchtime so that should spread the germs out.

Fixed it for you. 😂 

Just myself apart from 2 others in the pool.  Feel like I've had a deep cleanse, I'm sure there was extra chlorine in the water, my finger prints have about disappeared.

Hugs n kisses to you all, especially you R2.

xxxxxxxx:dancer:

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

This thread is not for me, I'm out, not really discussing what I thought it would 🤔 

I'm with you on this, I'll not be following this thread hence forward

Restriction on paracetamol in France from Wednesday to make sure people don't pill up while others who needs it can't buy it. 

Been driving a mate to the doctor today, amazing how a "small germ" ,can stop a full country moving.