3.2 Supersport build thread

gt two

I thought I would document my build which is gradually taking shape.

I bought the car this year as a Black 1989 3.2 Supersport with linen leather, the plan was to make something lightweight and low for a weekend fun car with the odd track day.

Im lucky that the car has recently had a full engine build at Francis Tuthills so mechanically I would not need to concentrate here.

The car came with 18" wheels which didnt look great so that was the first thing I have changed. Original 7 and 9" Fuchs wheels went on as soon as I could find some.

f5430ta.jpg

As you can see the ride height is similar to a 4x4 currently so I will have all of the suspension taken off, refurished and powder coated. Poly bushes fitted and a brake overhaul.

I put the new seats in today. I had recaro SPG's in my 964 and loved them but as I am not doing as many track days I wanted something less extreme that I could get my 2 year old in.

I weighed these before putting them in and they were 16kg with the runners so a good weight saving over the 8 way electric seats that came out.

f453otaseats.jpg

The new bumpers arrived today also thanks to Mark at EB Motorsport, great quality according to the bodyshop.

bump.jpg

Today is a day of progress as I also ordered an exhaust system from Richard at Turbo Thomas :D

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my many questions to date! Im sure there will be a lot more!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all.

WC the other wheels were obscene, I sold them today surprisingly.

Rob, The whole house is not ours. Its split into very nice apartments. We sold our house a year ago and rented with a view to moving quickly with an offer when we find the dream home.

Mike, will keep you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Graeme, yours was good inspiration for both of my recent projects.

A small update.

Rear bumper and ducktail have been fitted up, tomorrow a small bit of corrosion will get seen to. More pics to follow.

IMG_6274.jpg

Wish mine fitted that well, looks great.

Do you know how they've attached the bumper - Is it simply screwed onto the wings and the rear or has it got a bracket?

Thanks Alex.

Im sure its been just screwed to the wings without a bracket, I will check and let you know.

Front looks a tiny bit wide on that front wing but might pull in when properly attached - Maybe that's the norm with IROC bumpers.

Have you or the bodyshop made a call on whether you'll use a 964 smile, rubber strip or nothing at the top of the bumper? It looks pretty straight but difficult to see in a photo.

Front looks a tiny bit wide on that front wing but might pull in when properly attached - Maybe that's the norm with IROC bumpers.

Have you or the bodyshop made a call on whether you'll use a 964 smile, rubber strip or nothing at the top of the bumper? It looks pretty straight but difficult to see in a photo.

Its only loosely attached at the front for the fit up, apparently it does fit flush.

Ive decided to run no smile like the pic below, the smooth look with rubbers only where the wings meet the bumper. I was set on a 964 smile initially.

Love the car below.

1018885-1.jpg

There are a few widebody/duck combos out there. Bit like this -

DSC01417.jpg

I thought of keeping both tails but the duck didn't grow on me so I sold it. See what you think, but the proportion isn't quite right IMHO. No harm in having more than one tail though.

Hi Lee. Looking good mate. I'd recomend keeping the aluminium protection bar behind the bumpers if you can. Agree with Richard on the duck tail. Not sure it works with the wide body but hey we all like different things. I kept the turbo tea tray and lid all be it in light weight material. If you want a smoother look I'd go for maybe the 3.3 turbo 'S' rear tail.

Hi Lee. Looking good mate. I'd recomend keeping the aluminium protection bar behind the bumpers if you can. Agree with Richard on the duck tail. Not sure it works with the wide body but hey we all like different things. I kept the turbo tea tray and lid all be it in light weight material. If you want a smoother look I'd go for maybe the 3.3 turbo 'S' rear tail.

Thank you mate, Im with you. Im not entirely sure on the ducktail with the widebody but I have always wanted to have a 911 with a ducktail. Its odd as it looks great on a widebody pre impact car.

SK-RSR-complete-ext-5-800.jpg

If I dont get on with it I will go for a 3.0rs/IROC rear wing

204291217737521-1.jpg