Tripe's Homemade SC Speedster

Tripe

Hehe she's got wise to the value of work now, don't think £5 will buy so much of her time for the next job!

Had a go at installing the clamshell today, have been discussing roll hoops/cage options with Dom at SVP, any hoops will need to fit between the back of the seats and the front edge of the shell so it needs a trial fit.

Fortunately Porsche made this idiot proof, just needed to drill four holes in the parcel shelf, two on each side. These are positioned nicely so as to go through the rear lid hinge mounts, so plenty of metal to take the strain. Then the cantilever mounting framework bolts on.

speedsterproject009.jpg

speedsterproject004.jpg

The clamshell bolts onto the mounts in three places. No more than an hour's work :)

speedsterproject008.jpg

speedsterproject007.jpg

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tripe

I know you have researched this - the Clam obviously fits the same coach work line as a targa - but , why is it hinged ?

Kieran

Edited by Kieran T

On the V5C the targa is listed under vehicle type as a convertible and there are countless targa to cab conversions running round already so I would say not.

Clam jousting. Spectator sport of kings.

• 2 weeks later...

Car is now well stripped.

targaproject006Medium.jpg

targaproject011Medium.jpg

Andy came over today to do some welding and eat cake. Objective was to fit the Speedster scuttle. As well as the scuttle the Speedster hinge pillar reinforcements are required. Not available as seperate items from Porsche so bought the whole pillar and drilled the spot welds out to remove the screen supports.

scuttle002Medium.jpg

scuttle004Medium.jpg

First off drilled along the scuttle so it could be plug welded.

targaproject009Medium.jpg

Then left it to the maestro.

targaproject015Medium.jpg

A few hours later and Bob's your uncle.

targaproject016Medium.jpg

A bit more work to do on the screen install, there's a reinforcement plate to be welded into the dash on each side for the inner screen mount bolts, and a bit of tidying up required. Nevertheless good to see it coming together.

Welding along the scuttle standing on the floor looks questionable: not that I know anything other than neither of you cowboys cares. I hear Club Autosport are recruiting :D

Good work, what a bargain that car was.

• 2 months later...
what a bargain that car was.

Already spent the purchase price again on parts.....

A few folk have been asking after the progress on this one. Truth is not as much as I'd have liked. We've had a load of work done around the house this summer and I've been heavily involved in that, but nevertheless managed to move it forward a bit. Most of the body panels have now been bought. Wheels went off to Carlo for a refurb, as usual the workmanship was excellent. The 7s will be going up front:

targaproject004Medium.jpg

And the 6s won't be going to waste. The guys at the local tyre centre made a great job of fitting the spacesaver tyre from the standard SC spare wheel onto the 6 x 15 Fuch:

targaproject003Medium.jpg

targaproject011Medium-1.jpg

Bill Insley has rebuilt the gearbox:

targaproject002Medium.jpg

I've attacked the car again with the spot weld drill bit and the angle grinder:

targaproject005Medium.jpg

targaproject006Medium-1.jpg

'Cos it's going retro....

targaproject008Medium.jpg

Needs a bit more welding here (seat rails and oil cooler bracket) then it can go off, first up for roll hoops, then for a paint job. Leaving a bit of space in the garage to tackle this.

targaproject009Medium-1.jpg

porsche908hl.jpg

Is that Italian irony at work? :D

White with black a great look, but maybe play around with a few more ideas before you commit.

Consider going full custom like Chris's SWB paint - mix it yourself. Or my T project which is a Fiat colour. Or yummy Aubergine.

Mongrel.jpg

marzocchi_blue.jpg

aubergine.jpg

Good effort!

I was reading this thread over lunch today,

also I've been looking through old photos to try and lay up a time-line type ad for our company...

Not using these but thought they may be of interest.

Speedsters014-1.jpg

The one on the trolley was (Jaz) Steve's and the other is for sale at the moment after staying with its owner for about 15 years.

sorry about lo res quick scan and not the best 35mm camera back then

Edited by crisc204

• 2 weeks later...

Is that red 964 one finished or still in the same state as pictured?

Anyway, took a trip to the trimmers today to talk seat options. I picked up a pair of bare Recaro bucket seat shells a few months back (thanks Gary). The jury's out as to to how to have them finished. Mrs Trimmer says pretty much anything is possible, I've narrowed it down to three options. Seat backs will be painted body colour. Bearing in mind it's going retro, what d'ya think?

Triple grey as per 964 RS & Speedster

triplegrey.jpg

Houndstooth as per early 911

houndstooth.jpg

Quilted as per premiership footballer's Bentley

bucketseat1.jpg

Is that red 964 one finished or still in the same state as pictured?

Anyway, took a trip to the trimmers today to talk seat options. I picked up a pair of bare Recaro bucket seat shells a few months back (thanks Gary). The jury's out as to to how to have them finished. Mrs Trimmer says pretty much anything is possible, I've narrowed it down to three options. Seat backs will be painted body colour. Bearing in mind it's going retro, what d'ya think?

Quilted as per premiership footballer's Bentley

bucketseat1.jpg

Quilted look the DOG's............................ :signs118: