Curious water leak in driver rear footwell

Gio

Hi all,

So I was vacuuming the car yesterday morning and discovered the rear mat was soaking wet. After removing the mat, which must of weighed around 1 kg! I noticed water on the floor pan. I am not 100% sure where it came in from. We have not driven the car in wet weather for a while, however the car has been on the drive (in the same place) for over the last 6 days, while we had a fair bit of rain.. It looks as though the water has come from the console seat belt areas or from behind the seat. I have read through the forums and understand sometimes this can be caused by sunroof channels being blocked. Are there any other channels I should look for? 

Any ideas? anyone experienced the same? Not sure whether something like this would be covered under our warranty..

Thanks G

6 minutes ago, 70sThrowback said:

I would start with the rear windscreen seals, then maybe the rear quarters

I do notice that water always seems to sit on both end of the rear windscreen seals, is that a sign?

G

The other thing I read, which I maybe clutching at straws was that the dealer did some work on the jacking points. I think I read somewhere that this is close to the water escape channels, which could have been closed off...

6 minutes ago, Gio said:

I do notice that water always seems to sit on both end of the rear windscreen seals, is that a sign?

Always does that. I’m forever mopping up around window corners, even though they are all sealed.

I'd think sunroof drains but wouldn't that stain/mark your headliner as a tell tale? 

That car of yours really needs to be under cover Gio. Too nice a car to sit outside :) 

Edited by Busybee

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

I'd think sunroof drains but wouldn't that stain/mark your headliner as a tell tale? 

That car of yours really needs to be under cover Gio. Too nice a car to sit outside :) 

Headliner is perfect, so not sure about sunroof. Yes, going into storage soon, ideally after getting this fixed..

G

There's a little step of around 5mm in the floor pan under the drivers seat so you can concentrate on the rear window/rear quarter light seals if the water was only in the back footwell IMHO. If its deffo not the sunroof. I'd also check under your rear seats to make sure that's not wet too. 

27651124_10215329693383363_1623915875_o.jpg

As said by others... my money is on the rear screen seal!

When I turned up to buy mine 9/10 years ago and the rear foot wells were flooded after the guy had got the car out of storage and left it in the rain!

... helped me get a few extra hundred off the price!

47 minutes ago, Busybee said:

There's a little step of around 5mm in the floor pan under the drivers seat so you can concentrate on the rear window/rear quarter light seals if the water was only in the back footwell IMHO. If its deffo not the sunroof. I'd also check under your rear seats to make sure that's not wet too. 

27651124_10215329693383363_1623915875_o.jpg

So under the drivers seat it is totally dry, so potentially rear screen is where the issue is..

As already stated by Nathan, definitely check under the rear seat pads for standing water. You may need to remove the carpeting to ensure that the hessian soundproofing underneath is also fully dry.

On my car, I had water leak issues related to the rear plastic sunroof drain hoses. 

These drain from the rear of the sunroof cartridge to the rear drain points either side of the engine bay (just under the top of the engine lid). These hoses had shrunk to such an extent that they were no longer connected to the rear drain points so rainwater water was directed straight onto the rear shelf, which drained down the rear panel into the rear seat wells and footwells. The new drain hoses I ordered were nearly two inches longer than the old ones.

All the foregoing worth checking out, and as Anil says, the sunroof drain holes need looking at. At least make sure that they are clear by running a slim rod or wire up through them. If corroded or breached, I would look for stains on the headlining. Remembering my commercial garage days in a former life, water leaks are quite difficult to pin-point.....needs perseverance and some detective work!

good luck,

David

11 hours ago, R2D2 said:

Remove the rear seat cushions and get your hand under sound proofing below - the rear seat "buckets" fill with water if the rear screen leaks.

^ This, but.... 

Water from the rear window can go under the rubber soundproofing, so the rear seat bases can still feel dry under the cushion.  

Peel back the carpet at the front of the rear seat and get under the rubber sheet. Under that there is wooly stuff that is usually sodden.  Big horrible job to remove and dry out.

10 hours ago, R2D2 said:

Jonny - i said that! pay attention dear boy.

Sure, you had it spot on.  Just reinforcing that you have to go in deep.  Under the seat, the carpet and the rubber.  Dry carpet under the seat bases don’t mean jack. 

13 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Sure, you had it spot on.  Just reinforcing that you have to go in deep.  Under the seat, the carpet and the rubber.  Dry carpet under the seat bases don’t mean jack. 

Only joking buddy