3.8-litre engine transplant options

Busybee

Tinware or equivalent is a must imo. Together with the magnesium lower deflectors it is designed to channel cool air past the barrels and heads in a uniform way to avoid any hot/cold spots. Its secondary function is protection. It keeps the crap from entering the engine compartment and the back two pieces protect cylinders and heads on 3&6 from weathering and eventual corrosion. 

46 minutes ago, ras62 said:

Tinware or equivalent is a must imo. Together with the magnesium lower deflectors it is designed to channel cool air past the barrels and heads in a uniform way to avoid any hot/cold spots. Its secondary function is protection. It keeps the crap from entering the engine compartment and the back two pieces protect cylinders and heads on 3&6 from weathering and eventual corrosion. 

Yup, I'd like a bit of carbon to keep it retro ;) 

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

How many bits of tinware are there supposed to be and what do they all look like? 

C'mon Haith, you've got two other IBs to go and look at. They're all basically the same......

That'll be fine but I'd go for one with a higher max weight capacity. Not 'cos the engine weighs that much but it will flex and bounce less when working on the engine on the stand. Ideally yes you need an adapter/cradle the ebay one I bought is fine but I'm sure plenty of folk on here have a used one/loaner https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-912-914-356-Air-cooled-4-Arm-Engine-Motor-Stand-Yoke/264415532403?hash=item3d9064d573:g:vRUAAOxy--NRtOJq

You didn't expect it to bolt straight in did you?

Chris.

27 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Thanks chris. Anyone have a cradle spare I could borrow? 

Yup. I half expected Axel to pop out of the crate in overalls clutching a spanner! 😂

Have a look on the loanable tools thread. Pretty sure there is an engine cradle on there.