Fan belt size

double0

I was about to buy a replacement belt as mine hasn't been changed in the seven years I've had the car and starting to squeal.  II could just adjust but think it's a good idea to replace.  I'm a bit confused by the size as most places advertise 10 x 710.  Checking my current belt it's marked as Porsche 999.192.176.50 9.5X710 FA 3G GOODYEAR.  There is a thread on Pelican but not very clear, I'm guessing that the 9.5 has now been replaced maybe with the 10.  Can anyone confirm the 10 will fit with no problem on a 85 3.2?  Cheers.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/282935-9-5-vs-10-mm-fan-belt-3.html

I've never paid much attention and either just order from ECP or whatever my local car shop orders in for me.  Never had any issues over the past 16 years.

I've probably got a couple of this these as spares:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/contitech-drive-belt-202330015

It's also the same as what Matt stocks:

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/sec5824d162f4/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/13101

The 0.5mm thickness difference won't cause you any problems.  Probably wear below that after a few 1000 miles.

Thanks Haith / Nige / Ivan.  Bit if a difference in opinion here from no problem to a PITA!  I was going to buy this but saw that the size differs from what I currently have although with the same Porsche part number https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/5009

5 hours ago, Busybee said:

Porsche will sell you the correct belt. Just ask your local OPC. About £12 from memory 

They will sell you the 10mm one

They stopped selling the 9.5mm one a few years ago

6 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Does 0.5mm make much difference if the belt is tensioned with washers anyway? I use them as they say Porsche on them. Always a nice touch when opening the engine bay 🤪

4 hours ago, Busybee said:

Does 0.5mm make much difference if the belt is tensioned with washers anyway? I use them as they say Porsche on them. Always a nice touch when opening the engine bay 🤪

Agree Haith, for the price I’ll stick with the Porsche part 👍

On 21/09/2022 at 14:57, Type911 said:

This is true, even Porsche classic website advertises a 9.5 and then sent me a 10.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Car - 1983 911 SC 3.0

slightly different question - my car didn't have a v belt so I can't compare - the PET suggests both a 710 and a 695 size from 1980 onwards - which doesn't really help

I have both sizes - the 710 seems to loose bit I can get to on - even with all the shims moved it still seems too loose

I can't even get the 695 on - but I am willing to persevere if its the right size

Can anyone clarify ? 695 or 710 ?

Douglas.

6 shims in a full set.

Should be 710 x 9.5 but generally replaced with a 710 x 10. Don't skimp on quality buy a good brand and keep a spare in the car. Gates agricultural grade if available are about as good as they get. Porsche are good but have changed supplier many times over the years - Dayco, Goodyear etc.

Cheap unbranded belts are fine until they fail. 

This may sound like the wrong thing to do...spray GT85 on the top pulley as you fit it. Allowing it to slip on the pulley as you tighten it up makes it easier to fit. I find turning the fan allowing the belt to skid between the pulley halves causes it to ride up between the two halves into the correct position. 

If porsche made this system now they would probably use an SF belt and avoid the use of shims.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mean in green said:

How many shims are there?

I've got all 6 shims.

47 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

6 shims in a full set.

Should be 710 x 9.5 but generally replaced with a 710 x 10. Don't skimp on quality buy a good brand and keep a spare in the car. Gates agricultural grade if available are about as good as they get. Porsche are good but have changed supplier many times over the years - Dayco, Goodyear etc.

Cheap unbranded belts are fine until they fail. 

This may sound like the wrong thing to do...spray GT85 on the top pulley as you fit it. Allowing it to slip on the pulley as you tighten it up makes it easier to fit. I find turning the fan allowing the belt to skid between the pulley halves causes it to ride up between the two halves into the correct position. 

If porsche made this system now they would probably use an SF belt and avoid the use of shims.

710 is too loose even with all the shims on one side.

5 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Something is wrong then.....

That’s helpful. Thanks. 

the belt for the 3.0SC is listed as both 695 and 710 in the Porsche PET. The question I am looking to get answered, by someone with actual knowledge, is what SC’s use 710 and what ones use a 695 - is it delineated by chassis number, model year 

I am happy to persevere with the very tight 695 if I know that is the right size - if the right size is 710 then I need to look at other things. 

710 is correct for a late SC.

At the risk of stating the obvious… all 6 shims need to be in place to be able to properly tighten the nut, either between the pulley halves or between the outer pulley half and the thick  washer… fewer shims between the pulley halves result in a tighter belt… more shims between the pulley halves loosen the belt

56 minutes ago, sopor said:

710 is correct for a late SC.

At the risk of stating the obvious… all 6 shims need to be in place to be able to properly tighten the nut, either between the pulley halves or between the outer pulley half and the thick  washer… fewer shims between the pulley halves result in a tighter belt… more shims between the pulley halves loosen the belt

Thanks. Can you let me know how you know that ? I am not doubting the information but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere and I am keen to find the source.

Douglas.

Edited by Scotspeed

In 30 years I have never sold a 695 fan belt for an SC

They are 725 for the first year and 710 for the rest

As Sopor says, all shims have to used to get everything tight, not just the fan belt

Phill = Wingman.............:smiley_1140:

• Haha 1

I have a odd size on my own SC but it's of my own making as it has a slightly smaller RSR crank pulley.

If you have a mix and match arrangement on your car work out what size you need and buy a belt to suit - if 695 is too tight and 710 too slack go far a size somewhere in the middle. 700 should be easy to get.

Try building up the top pulley without the belt. Ensure that the assembly is clamped correctly and measure the amount of thread extending beyond the nut. Then reassemble with the belt, ensure the shims are in the correct orientation any end up with the same thread / nut combination. It's a bit of fiddle to get the shims behind the pulley, then add the cup washer without letting the shims slip.

Without stating the obvious too slack isn't going to work and too tight isn't great for bearings.